Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Nobody has heard of it up here in Canada outside a McD's
Isn't that because y'all call it back bacon? At least my friends in London, Ontario, do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 02:05 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Isn't that because y'all call it back bacon? At least my friends in London, Ontario, do.
I like the Aussie/UK style bacon which is like a combination of the American and so called Canadian - it's cut from the middle loin I believe and has the long strip PLUS the 'eye".

I like the meat of the Canadian style but it's not bacon without fat imho.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Ok...did someone already say

FRENCH FRIES!?!!
Well, French fries are quite widespread in France, but are just known by a different name (frites).

Old 07-09-2010, 01:54 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,961,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, French fries are quite widespread in France, but are just known by a different name (frites).

Took the words right out of my mouth. I wonder where people think the name came from? LOL

Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,961,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I like the Aussie/UK style bacon which is like a combination of the American and so called Canadian - it's cut from the middle loin I believe and has the long strip PLUS the 'eye".

I like the meat of the Canadian style but it's not bacon without fat imho.
British back bacon isn't even remotely similar to American bacon...in any combination.

American is 99.9% of the time pork belly that is cured and smoked. English bacon comes from the loin and is usually just cured with no smoke.

The similarities stop with the word "bacon".

Old 07-09-2010, 02:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Although Frankfurters are reasonably close to something that has existed for centuries in Frankfurt, you'd have been hard pressed to find a Hamburger in Hamburg, before McDonalds opened there.

In fact, in America, the Wiener and the Frankfurter are synonymous, even though those words, in German, mean "of Frankfurt (Germany)", and "of Vienna (Austria)", so that single product is blamed on two countries.

People in Denmark call the Danish a 'Wienerbrød', which means "Viennese bread".

Has anybody mentioned French Fries, Brussels Sprouts and Swiss Chard? Or Spanish onions or Irish coffee or Dutch chocolate?

The Jerusalem Artichoke is an edible North American variety of Sunflower.

Prior to the respective travels of Christopher Columbus and Marco Polo, the Italians had no knowledge at all of either spaghetti or tomatoes.

Chili and chili peppers are not from Chile, where people eat relatively bland food. The Brazil Nut is not named after the country. It's the opposite---the country is named after the nut.

Even though no Turkey has ever been in Turkey, there is still a link. The Europeans were familiar with what is now known as the domesticated Guinea Fowl, which were introduced into Europe from Turkey, and in those days, called Turkey Fowl. (The wild bird is actually of African origin.) When the first Europeans arrived in North America, and found our forests teeming with the delicious birds, they mistakenly called them Turkey Fowl (having no other name for them), and the name stuck. All true turkeys are of wild North American origin. North American Robins, Bluebirds, Blackbirds, Finches, Warblers and Sparrows were also erroneously given the names of similar but unrelated European birds.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-09-2010 at 03:24 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 03:56 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have seen some chocolate croissants in the UK and US ( chocolate covered croissants , usually quite sweet and sickly, using fake chocolate and not very flakey) but a chocolatine ( a French word in certain regions as well as Quebec) is a different thing though ( delicious, buttery, flakey and moist ) .

I love "pain au chocolat" but was not impressed with the chocolate croissant.

Which of the two are people in the US refering to ? :

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/4...45d3d63729.jpg - That's what a "chocolatine/pain au chocolat" is in France

http://blisstree.com/files/2008/05/c..._croissant.jpg - That is what I have never seen in France and what is called a "chocolate croissant" in the UK.

I am getting a little confused now !
The chocolatine/pain au chocolat is what I know, but I was spoiled by an amazing bakery in a town I have now moved away from (perhaps that is good...). I use to get excited when I saw another "pain au chocolat" in a coffee shop/bakery, but I have given up. Most have been stuffed with chocolate, but the actual pastry is a sorry excuse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
French fries and French toast are not really from France. Thomas' English muffins were invented in Northeast America, not known in England--though scones are, and they're similar.

Canadian bacon is not know as that in Canada.
I had a professor once who was originally from France. She snobily said that there was no "French Toast" in France. In the next breath she said there is a tradition of using up yesterday's bread by soaking it in milk and frying it. Hmmm... sounds like the beginning of French Toast to me!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:14 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george chong View Post
omg - don't even get me started on this topic

I once had a co-worker ask me why chinese restaurants in atlanta did not have st. Louis chicken. She said she loved eating it back home at all the local chinese restaurants. I told her because it was regional to st. Louis and it was not a dish that the chinese in china make/cook. She looked at me puzzled and reminded me that it was a very popular chinese dish in st. Louis
lmao!!!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
British back bacon isn't even remotely similar to American bacon...in any combination.

American is 99.9% of the time pork belly that is cured and smoked. English bacon comes from the loin and is usually just cured with no smoke.

The similarities stop with the word "bacon".

Well be fair - I was just trying to describe it to Americans who have no idea what REAL bacon is............. (I did say it was middle loin)

and yeah ain't nothing alike LOL

Old 07-12-2010, 02:10 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,267 times
When I was living in Japan, an american friend came to a sushi restaurant with me. He tried to ask for a spicy tuna roll, which you can get there. They had so much difficulty understanding what he was asking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink