Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 12:26 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times

Advertisements

http://www.vesperbrothersfoods.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 12:30 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
I only buy Newman's Own in whatever they make, because 100% of their profits goes to charity.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:49 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I only buy Newman's Own in whatever they make, because 100% of their profits goes to charity.
That's noble, but not 100% of their stuff tastes very good. Though I love their salad dressings and a few other products, my dog turned down their dog treats!

And I'd rather just send money to the charities of my choice (though the one's Newman's support ARE excellent options and all AFAIK fiscally responsible.)

Old 08-22-2014, 04:05 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
For Alfredo I use Classico light, for pesto I also use classico. Red sauce I make from scratch.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:36 PM

555 posts, read 1,259,046 times
Let me tell you guys a story that happened to me!

I pride myself on being a "from scratch" cook, we don't use much pre-packaged goods if I can help it and don't eat out a lot either.

Well, one night, a few weeks ago we all arrived home around the same time and I had no supper prepared and pulling something out of the freezer wasn't an option. Was thinking of sending out for Chinese.....

BUT, that week I had a $2.00 off coupon for Classico 4 cheese jarred tomato sauce and I had bought it just to keep in the pantry, I figured I could jazz it up a bit and use it for a quick pizza sauce and I got the jar for next to nothing. I never, ever use jarred tomato sauce.

Well, I boiled up a box of Barilla Rigatoni and mixed it with that jar of Classico 4 cheese. I added just a bit of crushed red pepper and little Italian Oregano. We had the pasta with the jarred sauce and a little more Parmesan Reggiano cheese for garnish. Iceberg lettuce wedges with vinaigrette dressing.

And I got rave reviews for making such a delicious, quick supper!

Blessings!

This is what I used:
Attached Thumbnails
What is you favorite store bought pasta sauce?-prod_image_1328.jpg  

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 08-22-2014 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-22-2014, 04:42 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Trader Joe's Arrabiata Sauce (it's a little bit spicy) - But I did NOT like their Traditional Marinara sauce at all.

Berilla Marinara doctored up with more garlic and onion. Bertolli is a third choice.

I have heard and read that Giada de Laurentis' jarred sauces are excellent, but I rarely shop at Target (which, I think, is the only place they sell them?)
I tried a jar, and was less than impressed, sorry to say.

Arrabiatta sauce is so darn easy to make I just don't even buy it anymore as none of the jarred sauces are truly spicy enough for me!

Old 08-22-2014, 05:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Newman's Own Fra Diavolo sauce.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
I have an interesting recipe I made up recently, using just a can of paste for the tomato part.

Deeply brown about half a pound of burger on medium-high. Then you can choose to drain it and and add olive oil, or simply keep as is using the fat from the burger if you are lazy, which tastes fine. You want lots of oil in it.

Keep it on medium high, and frantically add your favorite Italian herb mix, together with garlic and pepper. Stir for a minute or so.

Add a coupla glugs of Triple Sec or other orange liqueur, a good amount. Scrape the bottom of the pan and stir until it stops bubbling and steaming so much.

Add one can of tomato paste. Stir until it fully mixes with the small amount of liquid and becomes smooth. Don't add more of any liquid, you are counting on a very thick acidic "sauce". Add a ton of salt. Let it cook on medium-low for just a coupla minutes, lest you lose the piquancy from long cooking.

Now mix very thoroughly and quickly with the steaming hot spaghetti (about half a pound dry) you cooked earlier and have just finished draining. Don't add later at the table, do it right away. Serve within 10 minutes.

If desired, add a bit of hot sauce or black pepper at the table. I wouldn't add cheese unless it's too sharp-flavored for your taste, that can tame it a bit (the piquancy is generally desired though, it's the whole point of using paste).

Add to the spaghetti you just cooked, about a half pound when dry.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Not a fan of ground beef in spaghetti sauce. On the rare occasion that I do use meat, I use bulk Italian sausage.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:57 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
I prefer spicy sauces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink