Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 04:18 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,355,097 times

Advertisements

I rarely use a jarred sauce, but when I do, it is Rao's. I like to keep a jar in the pantry just in case. If I think of it when I am at Safeway, I will also pick up P&S Ravioli's sauce, which is frozen, or Scaramuzza's sauce, which is also frozen. Both are very good. I used to live in walking distance of a P&S store and it was great to pick up fresh pasta, sauce, and meatballs when I was working and got home too late to prepare dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 05:04 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
AH yes, Trinacria, a wonderful Italian store!! They deliver their homemade sauces to many restaurants in the Baltimore-Washington area. Their homemade cannolis are also very good.
Agreed, James-good to see another Charm City-ite weighing in on something other than our depraved local political scene!

Trinacria is a true gem, best old-school Italian deli-market in town. Great cured meats and cheeses, olives and olive oils, dried mushrooms, fresh and dried pastas, amazing ho-made raviolis, that stupendous gravy, and great deals on obscure Italian wines. If you haven't yet, try some of their Mortadella (in this case, the cheaper stuff is the best!), full of pistachios, and just enough fat to be heavenly smooth-hard to believe this is what "bologna" has degenerated into. (Baloney!) My only problem with Trinacria is that I have to limit my visits to only a few times a year... those trips to get "just a of couple items for supper" end up running into serious money!

My wife's grandmother, who jumped the boat from Abruzzi with her mother before the turn of the last century, was a steadfast Trinacria customer for nearly 80 years (she lived to be 101, buried two husbands, and all but one of her children). Her mother (my wife's great-grandmother) never learned to speak English, even after decades in Baltimore's Fell's Point/Little Italy neighborhoods (a lot easier then than now). Her daughter, my wife's grandmother, claimed she didn't remember any Italian...except when it came to haggling with the Trinacria counterman about whether the Reggiano was the true quality, or the cheap stuff "per gli americani stupidi!"

Old 08-24-2014, 05:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Agreed, James-good to see another Charm City-ite weighing in on something other than our depraved local political scene!

Trinacria is a true gem, best old-school Italian deli-market in town. Great cured meats and cheeses, olives and olive oils, dried mushrooms, fresh and dried pastas, amazing ho-made raviolis, that stupendous gravy, and great deals on obscure Italian wines. If you haven't yet, try some of their Mortadella (in this case, the cheaper stuff is the best!), full of pistachios, and just enough fat to be heavenly smooth-hard to believe this is what "bologna" has degenerated into. (Baloney!) My only problem with Trinacria is that I have to limit my visits to only a few times a year... those trips to get "just a of couple items for supper" end up running into serious money!

My wife's grandmother, who jumped the boat from Abruzzi with her mother before the turn of the last century, was a steadfast Trinacria customer for nearly 80 years (she lived to be 101, buried two husbands, and all but one of her children). Her mother (my wife's great-grandmother) never learned to speak English, even after decades in Baltimore's Fell's Point/Little Italy neighborhoods (a lot easier then than now). Her daughter, my wife's grandmother, claimed she didn't remember any Italian...except when it came to haggling with the Trinacria counterman about whether the Reggiano was the true quality, or the cheap stuff "per gli americani stupidi!"
ROTFLMAO!!
I'll have to use that, some day.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:15 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
my wife's grandmother claimed she didn't remember any Italian...except when it came to haggling with the Trinacria counterman about whether the Reggiano was the true quality, or the cheap stuff "per gli americani stupidi!"
I like to think I can tell the Reggiano from the fluff, but who knows? What was the stuff per gli americani?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:02 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,412,128 times
I love the spicy tomato sauce I can pick up at my local supermarket. Cook some bacon, cut it up and add it to that with pasta and cheddar = awesomeness

Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 PM

23,548 posts, read 24,049,201 times
Classico or Prego.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:09 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,412,128 times
Oh, also store bought carbonara sauce works great as well

Old 08-25-2014, 11:39 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE sweet sauces, whether prepared or homemade. Why, why, why put sugar in a pasta sauce?
Well, in an ordinary tomato sauce, even a small amount that you wouldn't taste, like a teaspoonful, adds a unique character with cooking ...... it seems to "age" the sauce more rapidly.

But yes, some of the commercial brands like Ragu and Prego are loaded down with way too much.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:10 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Classico or Prego.
...life is too short ... expand your horizons ...

Old 09-04-2014, 08:14 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
Whatever is cheapest and doesn't have corn syrup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink