Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:37 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Uh, yeah, that would be the Blood Type diet that many online dismiss as unscientific. To understand the big diet fads, you need to have done your homework the last 15 years. I have--- Dukan is the perfect approach for all blood groups. Past 35 it is impossible to lose weight without a drastic reduction in carbohydrates. Dukan provides a real world approach & a way to ensure the weight is not regained. It's the best approach I've ever read about, based for once on actual common sense.
Don't like to burst anyone's bubble, but blood type has no bearing on diet. Great way to sell books though!

Anyone who wants to argue what types of diets work or why: there's a mechanism for that. It's called: start your own thread.

Let's please keep this thread on topic about how to reduce carbs to healthy levels. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 08:08 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Oh, I have no doubts the weight can fly this way; but how long do I want to live in this state? Not too long.

And once the weight is off - after eating in this artificial (for me) way - what happens next when I re-introduce my whole grains and fruits?

I am in no hurry to lose weight.
It's pretty simple actually. Just take a scientific approach. I don't plan on being so extreme forever. When I get to where I want to go... I plan on re-introducing carbs till I get to the point where I can maintain my weight.

It's really important that you keep track of your carbs so you have a good handle on how many you eat. Right now I fluctuate between 20-50 carbs. I plan on gradually increasing my carbs in increments after that.

I do plan on making this a permanent lifestyle change in that I will always watch the carbs I eat. However I will return to having fruit and vegetables being the main food of my diet, along with lean protein and then some carbs with moderation...whole grains.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Probably the healthiest low carb diet is The Zone, it allows about 100 grams or less of carbs a day from day one with an emphasis on low glycemic fruits & vegetables over rice, pasta, potatoes, bread etc. I've done this diet for many years & it absolutely works.

Atkins, South Beach & now Dukan require you to eliminate all carbs except vegetables at first. These diets also work though are stricter at first. In later stages these diets are not that much different than the Zone although the Zone is more scientific based. Barry Sears, the author, is an M.I.T. grad & bases the Zone on moderately complex science based nutrtion. He doesn't push low carbs for no good reason, there is actually a *science* to it.
Dukan and Atkins are more slimming regimes but also have merit since they seem to work.....

As for Blood Type, lower carbs is mandatory for blood type Os. Exercise is also. If you are an O who has lost a lot of weight laying around eating pizza, pasta, bread, rice, oats & bread on a daily basis, or even in small amounts as part of a "balanced diet", be sure to chime in to let us know how that's going for you....

Old 02-22-2011, 01:50 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
... or even in small amounts as part of a "balanced diet", be sure to chime in to let us know how that's going for you....
Growing up, everybody in my home-country had more than just "a small amount" of such "evil" carbs as part of a daily, normal, balanced way of eating. 90% of them were normal weight, more than half were downright thin. So yes, "the thing" was working just fine for them, but no, people didn't have access to processed food.

The vilification of carbs as part of a normal, non-diet lifestyle is such a major piece of insanity that it is not even funny.

When you don't need to lose weight or you have reached your weight goals, it is completely normal to have a bit of starch every day accompanying the other foods you are eating.
Of course you are going to lose weight if you cut out all starchy foods, altogether - but how long does anyone want to live like this anyway? Always with a void to be filled in the stomach? Always constipated from so much protein? Always obsessing over when the next "small, protein-based meal" is coming.

Don't tell me "YOU" want that and that it works for "YOU". It doesn't work for most people in this world who want to also grab a life and have it, instead of constantly obsessing over grams of carbs.

This is how most people eat, all over the world, and they are not over-run by fat. Americans, more than any other people in the industrialized world, fret over carbs and fat like nuts, study diets until their teeth fall out, and many exercise until they look like freaks - yet overall, they still have the highest percentage of yo-yo dieters, fat people, sick people, people obsessed with their weight, exercise addicts, calorie counter freaks, you name it.

Whatever, people. Whatever.

The answer is "get a life and stick with it".
Just don't stuff yourself with pastas, pizzas and all sorts of processed junk and then proclaim one rolled oat and three grains of rice to be the Coming of Satan on Earth.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:32 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Always obsessing over when the next "small, protein-based meal" is coming.
The beauty of the low-carb WOL is that the protein, vegetables, and occasional fruit and whole grains keeps you satisfied so that you're not obsessing over the next meal.

Quote:
Just don't stuff yourself with pastas, pizzas and all sorts of processed junk and then proclaim one rolled oat and three grains of rice to be the Coming of Satan on Earth.
Oh, low-carb WOL doesn't include pasta and pizza ... unless it's made with alternate ingredients. But you knew that, didn't you?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:34 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
America is about 50% Blood Type O. Many people in this country are hopelessly fat and addicted to carbs. Reducing and/or limiting carbs is a very good idea for most people. I think it really depends on your metabolism and factors like your age. I'm a Blood Type O who is over 40.... carbs aren't a good for for me and never will be. I have 1-2 slices of wheat free bread a day but no rice, pasta, beans, etc. on a daily basis. I think it is ok to have 1-2 servings of starchy foods a week and 1-2 splurge meals a week. But the bulk of my meals... what I generally eat every day... is based on fairly strict guidelines which have produced long term results for me and therefore make good common sense. Low carb is just healthier, period.

Quote:
The vilification of carbs as part of a normal, non-diet lifestyle is such a major piece of insanity that it is not even funny. .

Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
I can't say enough good things about the quiche cups to go recipe that is floating around on the net. My wife has those on the ready in ziplock bags and I can't figure out why we didnt do this sooner. You can make them in large batches and they freeze well.

Having veggies on the ready has been a challenge, but I do eat a tremendous amount of salad now. To make the salads better, I am relying on good quality flavored olive oils, such as meyer lemon, blood orange and lime, to keep things interesting. They are flavored with the essential oils of the fruits so no need to worry about that.

My wife and I are also following the crock pot idea. We made thai style chicken and beef the other day for lettuce wraps. We threw in a bunch of mint, basil, jalepenos, garlic a bit of fish sauce and low sodium stock to make it and they are a huge hit!

Another salad we enjoyed recently was made from thinly julliened summer squash and zucchini. This was tossed with a very small amount of extra virgin olive oil, red peper flakes, parmesan cheese and some chopped olives. The texture and consistency was that of pasta and it paired really well with the fruity, grassy tasting oil.

I also enjoy mini bell peppers if you can find them. The peppers are an important source of vitamin C. They eat like hand fruit.

Other than that...I'm just trying to keep busy and staying away from social situations where cravable foods are around.
Do you have any more on "the crock pot idea"?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:58 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
The vilification of carbs as part of a normal, non-diet lifestyle is such a major piece of insanity that it is not even funny.

When you don't need to lose weight or you have reached your weight goals, it is completely normal to have a bit of starch every day accompanying the other foods you are eating. .
I have some starch, mostly (though not exclusively) whole grain based products,almost every day, and I have been losing weight steadily, following Weight Watchers guidelines.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:44 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Default Low carbs

I am thinking about going on a low carb diet.
What are some food ideas on what I should buy?
I used to be on a low fat diet, but I am switching to low carb.
I was looking for meal ideas, snacks, etc to get me started. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:32 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Don't do it. Seriously Lo carb, no carb, no fat , lo fat, blah blah blah its all bull****. Unless you just like being on a diet. Caloric reduction and moderate exercise are the best way to lose weight and keep it off.

You don't even need to buy books, plans, dvd, cd, blah blah blah. Again more bull****. There is so much free information on the web today. Save your money for high quality good food.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink