Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:01 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
My mom always made sure there were leftover mashed potatoes so she could make potato pancakes the next day with sauerkraut and smoked sausages. I never cared for them but my dad loved them, so we (children) always ate what was on the dinner table!
Good Eating!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Growing up my mom would make mashed-potato pancakes but she'd mix in some grated tart apple, and top it with sour cream.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:06 AM

136 posts, read 382,029 times
I make a lot of things with leftover mashed potatoes.

Soups: thin your potato with an equal amount of any dairy product you like.
I prefer heavy cream. Add other leftovers purree'd or not. Meats also if any kick around.
Soup is all about imagination. One of my favorite soups to make is cold potato/garlic. I puree' the potato and cream. Season with a little roasted garlic and pepper. Most times I eat it right from the blender!

Appetizer:
Mix an egg to every cup of leftover potato and season to your liking.
Make bite size balls and roll in fine bread crumb. 'Fridge for 1 hr. Rolling them around again after a half hour. Pan fry or deep fry or bake (sprayed lightly with Pam or equivalent) in a single layer in a hot oven (475 degree) until golden. Fried is better if you want crunchy and crispy. Kind of like a Tater-Tot but better!

pancakes: add egg and a little flour (grated onion and seasonings if you like) drop into hot oil, flatten them on the flip.

gnocci:
2 cup flour to one cup potato, 1 egg+1 additional yolk. mix into a dough (it will be soft) and put in the fridge 90 min.
Roll dough into a snake shape on a floured surface, cut into 1/2" pieces. Flatten and roll at same time with a fork to make your shape. Or your can press your finger in the cuts to make a pigs' ear shape. Drop in boiling salted water. Finished when floating (approximate 2 min). Drain and serve with butter or any sauce you like.

A topping for a baked casserole like shepherds' pie or instead of a top crust for pot pies.

I even mix them into my sweet potato pie recipe. Makes a much smoother, creamier pie and that bit of white pepper I used in my mashed potato helps to perk up the cinnamon and nutmeg in my pie.

I can go on...

Last edited by gr8cakes; 11-14-2013 at 09:21 AM..

Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
shepherds pie!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
I use them for either potato pancakes or salmon cakes. They are great in the salmon, holds the cakes together and yet doesn't overpower the flavor of the salmon cakes.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I made a bit bowl of "neeps and tatties", which is mashed potatoes and rutabagas, more than I could eat, so now i have some leftovers in the fridge.
Yum. When I was in Edinburgh I had a big plate of haggis and tatties and neeps at The White Horse Inn at The Grass Market, where they used to hang people.

Quote:
Need some help on how to re-use these as leftovers...how do you cook leftover mashed potatoes????
The traditional English dish called Bubble & Squeek is made of cooked cabbage or brussels sprouts being mixed in with mashed potatoes and then fried. It's often served with sausages.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:55 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Shepherd's pie
That sounds good.

Or a simple potato soup... or use in chowder.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Mix in other veggies and bake or fry up.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
...The traditional English dish called Bubble & Squeek is made of cooked cabbage or brussels sprouts being mixed in with mashed potatoes and then fried. It's often served with sausages.
Bubble and Squeak is one of my favorites, but I definitely have to make mine with some type of cruciferous vegetable (cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower...) for that authentic flavor.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Shepherd's pie for sure.

But also:

There used to be a frozen pot pie (chicken or beef) that was potato-topped. The bottom was traditional pie crust but the top was mashed potatoes. They were soooo good and then, of course, they were discontinued. (I say "of course" because, just like with TV shows, if I liked it, it was the kiss of death.) So you could make a pot pie and use the potatoes as the top "crust." (And then invite me over, please. Thank you.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink