Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
We've gotten used to the crank feature. But, yes I'm with you always thought the tilt was more convenient to use.
Agreed! I like the bigger mixer but I miss the tilting head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I bought MRBookworm a Kitchen Aid stand mixer back in about the late 1980s, because he loves to bake bread and needed something heavy enough to work the dough to the point that he could knead it by hand the rest of the way. It was a honey, but after about 15 years, the motor gave out under the strain of all those loaves of bread.

So when I went shopping for a replacement back in the early aughts, I figured that I'd get him the biggest, most powerful Kitchen Aid mixer around, on the theory that it would last him longer. It took some doing to find a place that carried them (this was a decade ago, remember), but I finally found a local restaurant-supply that sold them. And the owner of that place told me a little secret about those big Kitchen Aid models: the motor is powerful, but many of the parts are made of plastic rather than of metal, and as a result, it doesn't last as long as the less powerful but all-metal models that are more readily available.

I don't have independent verification of that,
and even if it was true in 2001 or 2002, it may no longer be the case today, but I thought I'd pass it on for what it's worth. I wound up getting him a 6-qt Kitchen Aid that he likes a lot, and it has held up quite well so far. If he ever retires and starts baking more than he does now, that may change, but for now, it's a good choice.
I can verify that. (Heh, like I'm such an authority.) When we were researching what happened to our Artisan, we read the same thing. The bigger one we have now apparently has metal parts in the motor, not plastic.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times
I got the biggest one and took 5 tries for it to turn on and then didn't sound right. I finally bought the Artisen and am very happy.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Glad you posted this. I had a Mix Master and I think it had a dial on the back for the speed. It worked great. Wish I had one now. Hey, that's what Ebay is for.
Yep! That's exactly it -- the big dial on the back. I love how old-school it is.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:48 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
In general, you cannot do wrong with a KitchenAid mixer. They are almost indestructible.

The ONLY brand that I believe is better is the Hobart mixers, the finest brand of COMMERCIAL mixers. If you make a lot of large batches of bread and the like, the Hobart mixers do a great job. If you have the time to look at restaurant liquidation auctions, you can find a great deal on one of these.

5 Quart Mixer | Hobart Corporation

Old 11-22-2011, 06:21 AM

167 posts, read 477,174 times
I used to make a lot of bread in my KitchenAid but then was given a bread machine one year as a gift. Pretty sure it saved her life.

What I'd really love to see is different sized bowls like my mom's Sunbeam used to have. Can't remember the sizes but it was a set of three that stacked in each other. It was really handy when mixing different recipes for large family meals without having to constantly rinse out the same bowl.

This is completely geeky but I've fallen in love with the Wonder Woman kitchenaid mixer.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawl_rawr View Post
This is completely geeky but I've fallen in love with the Wonder Woman kitchenaid mixer.
There's a what??

Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 AM

167 posts, read 477,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
There's a what??
Trust that the irony isn't escaping me. Such a heroine on a domesticated product but I still want one regardless.

Here's a link to a few others with a decor

Happy Go Marni: I Want a Wonder Woman KitchenAid Stand Mixer and I'm Ready to Fly to Brazil to Get It | Baking, Recipes, Happiness

Old 11-22-2011, 08:15 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
If any one is looking for a Kitchenaid mixer, Sears is offering a Kenmore brand mixer at a great price. The design (in the ad) looks identical to KitchenAid models.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 AM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawl_rawr View Post
Trust that the irony isn't escaping me. Such a heroine on a domesticated product but I still want one regardless.

Here's a link to a few others with a decor

Happy Go Marni: I Want a Wonder Woman KitchenAid Stand Mixer and I'm Ready to Fly to Brazil to Get It | Baking, Recipes, Happiness
That's a riot! I would totally get the WW mixer for my kitchen. I have a set of WW collector glass tumblers. What a hoot!

I don't know what model my KitchenAid stand mixer is, but it was probably the least expensive one on the shelf. I bought it for myself about 4 years ago. It was on sale at Kohl's AND I had a 30% off coupon, so I only paid about $100 for it. It quickly became my favorite appliance, and I can't believe I went so many years without it. I love that I can put something in it to mix and then walk away to do something else at the same time. I don't have much counter space, but I leave the mixer out all the time. It's so heavy and difficult to move, I'd probably never bother using it if it was put away in a cabinet. The one I have has the tilt head, and I love that feature. Mine is white. Sure would like to have the Wonder Woman model, though!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink