Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 08:15 AM

19,536 posts, read 9,549,956 times

Advertisements

Seems everyone has a different tolerance towards hot, spicy foods. Given that in mind, what their definition of spicy could be much different than mine or a member in my family or a person standing either in front or behind me in line. I've had some cheese that was labeled jalapeño and was actually able to eat a slice or two with no problem but another pack of cheese that Mr C bought, that had jalapeño in it, one slice (rather a couple bites) was more than enough.

My tolerance for spicy foods:
Mr C:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 08:26 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,472 times
I used to eat everything hot enough to make a strong man weep (and I've seen a few do that trying to keep up with me)

But these days, while I still want it hot, I want to be able to taste the rest of the dish too, LOL!

There is a local Indian restaurant recently opened here where I have the hardest time trying to get them to hot it up enough for me. I guess little old 'murkan ladies aren't usually firebreathers.

I grew up amongst farm people with German roots. The mainstay of the diet was either a chunk of dead mammal boiled to within an inch of its life with cabbage (of course) but also potatoes and carrots until you can only tell the difference between them because one is roundish and the other is long and skinny. Or anything you could kill, grind up, and stuff into a casing so you can call it sausage. It is difficult for me to imagine a diet more bland than in the midwest in the 50s and 60s. And if you didn't like meat, you were pretty much left only with various boiled vegetables. Very unappetizing.

Discovering spicy Indian cuisine saved me from perpetual culinary stultification and led to other spicy delights such as Thai, Korean, Szichuan, and Mexican. YAY! My tastebuds tango with joy!

Last edited by Pyewackette; 08-31-2018 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-31-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Same here.

Habaneros are plentiful @ grocery stores, but I'm dying to get my hands on some bhut jolokia...

Do they sell these in stores..in the U.S?! I want the raw deal, not some sort of salsa stuff..
I bought a plant and they are just growing out now. Don't know how many can be used in this household at any given time. Got them because Mr C likes those spicy peppers.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:21 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,085,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I bought a plant and they are just growing out now. Don't know how many can be used in this household at any given time. Got them because Mr C likes those spicy peppers.
I've had jalapenos that have been as mild as a green bell and some that equaled a habanero in heat. You can get Hatch chilis in various levels of heat. We use a lot of pablanos and notice variations in heat level. You just never know with home grow chilis.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:31 AM

Help ,

How's your tolerance for hot spicy foods?-image.jpeg

Old 09-02-2018, 11:48 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
I used to love extra spicy food - eyes tearing, nose running spicy. I lost my taste for that level of spice as I got older....when a food is too spicy I can't really taste the actual food. Plus the heartburn that ensues is horrendous.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:33 PM

4,034 posts, read 2,719,381 times
I used to *love* hot, spicy, foods. I still do. The only problem is, as I've gotten older, they're not loving me back so much. *sigh*

Old 09-02-2018, 12:55 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,644,820 times
Do most people get Acid reflux disease at a certain age? I’ve never had a problem eating hot and spicy foods.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:10 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,852 times
Growing up in a place where the Scotch Bonnet Habanero was the main pepper used in cuisine, and eaten raw as an accompaniment to food, I guess it's made me very tolerant to spicy food. For me, the Jalapeno is more like a eating a bell pepper, though some varieties can be pretty spicy.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:41 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,085,168 times
Sunday I made a dish called Texican Shredded Pork. I made a salsa to go with it called Xni Pec using 4 Carolina Reapers. It was good, but a little goes a long way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink