Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:13 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just read on another thread that someone seems to think spicy foods are bad for us.
That person is a bold faced liar! Propaganda, I say!!!! The spicier/hotter the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 10:26 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Hot and spicy foods do quite a number on my digestive system.

After consuming such foods, I'd be headed to the toilet not long after. Really upsets my stomach.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Nope, not for me. I pick the red peppers off the food if it comes in a restaurant and I don't eat hot, spicy food at home because I don't like it.

I enjoy herbs and other spices (non hot) but peppery things, no. For me, they kill the taste of the food and it just burns and hurts.
so, if you come to our house I will do, like I do for a few friends, I will make your chili in a separate crock or I will make sure the dip I use is mild. You are like my mom in law was: to her hot was a mild salsa and even then she would shake all of it off the chip if she could. The good news, she never spilled any on her blouse or shirt like I do. When she made a pot of chili she was so proud of herself: she would actually use 1 tsp of chili powder. So you are not alone. I promise, I will remember. I have to do this for a few bridge frineds and one was raised in Dallas.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:26 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
I put sriracha on lasagna and spaghetti.

Nuff said.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:25 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,144,032 times
As I am getting old, red chillies are beginning to give me issues. So no blazing hot wings for me. Green chillies are a lot better option if you like your food to be spicy.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:27 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,684,874 times
I don't like them but I don't think they're particularly bad for you

Old 08-24-2014, 08:49 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
From the Cornell University Chronicle:

"Garlic, onion, allspice and oregano, for example, were found to be the best all-around bacteria killers (they kill everything), followed by thyme, cinnamon, tarragon and cumin (any of which kill up to 80 percent of bacteria). Capsicums, including chilies and other hot peppers, are in the middle of the antimicrobial pack (killing or inhibiting up to 75 percent of bacteria), while pepper of the white or black variety inhibits 25 percent of bacteria, as do ginger, anise seed, celery seed and the juices of lemons and limes."

They help to keep food from spoiling and enhance flavor. What a deal!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:25 AM

23,552 posts, read 24,057,818 times
I love spicy foods and hot sauces: Tabasco, Frank's, Sriracha and Crystal.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:05 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,036,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just read on another thread that someone seems to think spicy foods are bad for us. I love my hot, spicy everything, Asian, Mexican, buffalo wings, Indian foods, you name it and have never thought, as long as you don't overdo it and don't have digestive problems they are bad for you. In fact I have read more than once various peppers are good for us because they add flavor, helping us to cut back on salt.

How do you feel? Do you enjoy spicy foods, do you eat them often and do you think they are bad or good for us?
Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Provide link so we can flame this person.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I just looked at our collection of sauces, which at this point include Huy Fong sriracha, Marie Sharp's habanero sauce (product of Belize, has pureed carrots in it to add a sweetness to the habanero heat), Cholula, Tabasco, Texas Pete's, Louisiana brand "Perfect Hot Sauce," Frank's Red Hot, and Huy Fong garlic chili paste.

My dry spice blends with the most heat and flavor include Penzey's Berbere, The Spice House's Vulcan's Fire seasoning(favorite blend ever, fantastic on buttered baked potatoes and on popcorn), and The Spice House's Milwaukee Iron seasoning.

I love heat, and quite a bit of it, in my seasonings and sauces, and don't mind if peppers make my nose start to run a bit. My husband gets "the spice sweats," where he'll get flushed and start to get beads of sweat in his under-eye/cheek area around his nose. But, really, seasoning, no matter how hot or spicy, should always enhance and complement the flavors of a dish, not overpower them. If all you're tasting is the heat in the sauce or spice, you're not really doing it right. Might as well just eat the sauce or seasoning by the spoonful and skip the food altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink