Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:49 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times

Advertisements

Pretty high... I've seen and tasted some salsa made from chiltepins that would kill most people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 05:56 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,454,450 times
I can go pretty hot, but there's not much point in heat for heat's sake. I'm grateful for the tolerance though (even if that's still relative). It allows me to eat different foods without being too afraid of the eye-watering effect.

I do wonder if you lose the tolerance. Has anyone here? I don't eat a lot of hot these days, but when I do there's no serious burn like when I was new to heat.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:34 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
If your chiles are too hot, milk is the drink to go for.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Default Do you enjoy hot and or spicy foods and are they bad for us?

Just read on another thread that someone seems to think spicy foods are bad for us. I love my hot, spicy everything, Asian, Mexican, buffalo wings, Indian foods, you name it and have never thought, as long as you don't overdo it and don't have digestive problems they are bad for you. In fact I have read more than once various peppers are good for us because they add flavor, helping us to cut back on salt.

How do you feel? Do you enjoy spicy foods, do you eat them often and do you think they are bad or good for us?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times
I'm assuming you're referring to spicy as in chili pepper spicy. Spicy foods are very good for you, except, as you said, if you have digestive issues. They stimulate the metabolism and increase endorphin levels.

If you're referring to non-chilli-pepper spicy, an even better case can be made for their health benefits. More indirectly, the use of spices can reduce how much fat, salt and sugar you need to make a dish taste good (another healthy ingredient that accomplishes the same thing is cooking wine).

Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 PM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Bring it on!

How are spicy foods "bad" for us?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Outside of people who have ulcers that are easily irritated, acid reflux that is triggered by various spices (I have acid reflux, but spices aren't a problem...the grease in deep fried foods is a trigger and sometimes wine), or allergies to certain compouds, I can't think of any reason spices would pose a health threat.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
I love spicy food.. I don't think they pose much threat, although I am a bit of a wimp and cannot handle moderate spice.. I can handle normal chilis, though

Old 08-23-2014, 12:23 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Spicy food is good for you as long as it's not too spicy for your body. Eating food that is spicy helps speed up the metabolism which helps burn more calories, but if it's too hot for you, and your body starts sweating from the heat, it's actually not that good for you and you should dial the heat down a bit until your body adjust to the heat over time.

Generally speaking, spicy foods aren't bad for you, assuming you don't already have any internal problems like ulcers and such, and peppers are good for the heart. I don't know what you're reading, but I'm going to assume that they did no research and are wrong, since I just did a 3 minute google search and read and found nothing about spicy foods linked to developing disorders or other issues except for pre-existing internal issues.

Seriously, the hottest pepper I've ever eaten was habanero, and that 1 bowl of curry took me like 20 minutes and like 4 glasses of milk to take down, and what came out of the other end may have been just as bad.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:34 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
We do spicy but not overly spicy as far as the heat factor goes. We are mild to medium depending on what the dish is but we do not eat "hot" just to be eating "hot".
We like spice that enhances the dish not spice that overtakes the dish.
I don't think it is bad for anyone health wise outside of the possible throat and stomach irritation if one has acid reflux or ulcers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink