Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:25 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,220,012 times

Advertisements

Are there any frozen vegetables that were grown & processed in the U.S.? When I go to my local grocery store chain, it seems that many -- and in some types of veggies all -- are grown somewhere other than the U.S. I bought frozen broccoli spears that had been grown in Mexico. Lots of frozen veggies come from Mexico. The broccoli I bought and fixed had no taste (very bland) and were stringy. What causes them to have no taste? Is it something to do with the farming? The processing?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,229 times
Default Frozen vegetables grown in the US

Hi Lily. I don't have answers to your specific questions but wanted to comment quickly.

It's not just frozen vegetables -- it's all foods. I've been looking at country of origin for several years on the labels. My regular grocery store has labels as to country of origin on the meat and in the fresh produce section.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:01 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Costco.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 AM

I will check at Costco next time I'm there.
Thanks.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:17 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,054 times
I live in Toronto, Ontario, and we get locally grown veggies, from June to October, and US grown produce year round, so the customer makes their choice based on price. Obviously, the Canadian grown stuff is cheapest during our growing season, BUT the import products are top grade, as the Canadian grading system only allows the best quality items to be imported.

I have absolutely NO problem with imported products, from Mexico, or any other place, knowing that the imported products are inspected, by the Canadian Agricultural inspectors, before they ever get to a store here.

I suspect that the US inspection system is not as rigorous, as ours is.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:19 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,214 times
Have you tried Green Giant? That's pretty much the only brand I eat.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:37 AM

I will check out Green Giant too. I don't remember if my regular grocery store had that brand.

The broccoli I had may have been safe, but it was tasteless. I am the only one in my family who eats broccoli. The first warning sign was that it didn't stink up the kitchen when being cooked and no one complained!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:03 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
The broccoli I had may have been safe, but it was tasteless. I am the only one in my family who eats broccoli. The first warning sign was that it didn't stink up the kitchen when being cooked and no one complained!
Ha! Here's something I know about broccoli, both as a gardener and as someone who visited a huge broccoli farm in Arizona once. Broccoli is one of the few vegetables that you can typically get three harvests from. The first harvest cuts the stalk off near the ground, and yields the largest and strongest tasting stalks. Then the plant resprouts, and a little while later a second cutting is made. It's smaller and milder tasting. Usually a third cutting can be made as well, but it's much smaller and blander.

For fresh produce the first cutting is preferred and carries the premium price. For food processing and frozen vegetables, where it's all going to be cut up anyway, the second and third cut are fine.

That's why frozen broccoli almost never smells or tastes as strong as fresh broccoli does. Time of year it was harvested also has an impact, as well as where it was grown.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:39 AM

Thank you, OpenD. I did not know that.

I found a website that directed me to a place where I can buy locally grown produce, both fresh and frozen. Here's the link:

Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

Game's Farmers Market (one of the recommendations for my area) is less then three miles from my home. Sure enough, they had frozen USA grown vegetables. Yes, I buy fresh, but it's nice to have some in the freezer too. But the broccoli was from Mexico.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:21 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
A few weeks ago when one of the posters who is always posting that all the frozen vegetables at a certain store were grown in China, I went to that store and found that of the 12 SKUs, 11 were produced in North America and the broccoli came from China.

I started looking around at various other retailers. Again, nearly every frozen vegetable came from the US, Canada, and Mexico.

There was one exception. Trader Joe's and Aldi carry quite a few vegetables sourced from Belgium and Germany, especially the unusual items like brussels sprouts and baby carrots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink