Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:49 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

When buying ingredients for omelets, hit the salad bar instead of buying the ingredients separately.
Everything is already there - washed and chopped. Grab a container and put in some onions, mushrooms, bell pepper, bacon strips or chunks, or whatever your heart desire.

It will be much cheaper than buy all those ingredients separately, and less work too!

Sounds like a plan? Enjoy!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
That's a really good idea, thanks!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
My omelettes are usually filled with whatever's in the fridge when i decide to make one. Salsa? You're getting a Mexican omelette. Mushrooms? Swiss cheese? WINNER!! Spaghetti sauce? Italian!!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Clever!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:28 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
My omelettes are usually filled with whatever's in the fridge when i decide to make one. Salsa? You're getting a Mexican omelette. Mushrooms? Swiss cheese? WINNER!! Spaghetti sauce? Italian!!
Me too! We always have plenty of fresh vegetables and herbs, and I have come up with some tasty and colorful combinations. Bonus: you don't have to make a trip to the store, and you are using up leftover fresh herbs and veggies.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
Default Yup!

I can honestly say I have never shopped for omelette ingredients. Ever.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It will be much cheaper than buy all those ingredients separately, and less work too! .
A little less work, I agree with. It's quicker and easier and more convenient to buy the raw ingredients already prepared. But not much.

Cheaper? It all depends, but mostly not .

The price per pound of salad bar items is typically 6 - 8 X as much as the average per pound price of the individual whole produce items found there. That's why supermarkets love, love, love salad bars, because they are so much more profitable compared to just selling the raw, unprepared produce.

Buying for one? Don't do a lot of cooking? Never use up a whole onion or green pepper before it goes bad? Then, yes, buying an ounce or two of chopped veggies vs. the individual whole items might be a smart move if the total cost is less than the smallest quantity of whole items will cost, and you're seriously going to just throw away what doesn't go into that one lowly omelet.

On the other hand, if you're cooking for a pack of hungry wolves, or you do cook fresh meals frequently and can use the excess ingredients in other dishes, then you'll certainly come out ahead buying the individual items and preparing them yourself. After all, the only place you'll pay steak prices for raw onions is at the salad bar.

I think I'll have to pay a visit to the supermarket in order to illustrate what I mean...

Old 09-20-2012, 03:28 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When buying ingredients for omelets, hit the salad bar instead of buying the ingredients separately.
Everything is already there - washed and chopped. Grab a container and put in some onions, mushrooms, bell pepper, bacon strips or chunks, or whatever your heart desire.

It will be much cheaper than buy all those ingredients separately, and less work too!

Sounds like a plan? Enjoy!!

I actually do this quite often. I hate buying a head of lettuce or especially a package of celery stalks when I am just using a little bit. Been doing this for years when recipes call for items that I don't generally keep on hand or we won't eat. Much better than tossing out food that has gone bad.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:36 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
We have no salad bars in the grocery stores around us. There is an olive bar, but no salad. I can't remember the last time I saw one in a store. What happened to the salad bars?

Old 09-20-2012, 03:50 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
We have no salad bars in the grocery stores around us. There is an olive bar, but no salad. I can't remember the last time I saw one in a store. What happened to the salad bars?
All of our stores have olive bars also. I had no idea that there were that many types of olives and that so many people needed them. I am apparently way behind the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink