Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,024 times

Advertisements

I bought a tub of shortening a long time ago. I used some to make cookies with. I often do that, instead of butter. Or I do half butter/half shortening. I can never tell the diff.

Well I could tell the difference today, because the shortening expired in August 2012. I didn't realize it until after. Can't believe it's been such a long time since I've used that shortening.

But anyway, it's done for, as are the cookies. They went in the trash, because all I could taste was that nasty shortening.

How do I dispose of a big tub of shortening. Anyone? Much of it went unused. Guess I didn't realize how little I really use of it. Should probably just invest in the smaller tubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 04:40 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
Ewww, rancid shortening! I haven't used shortening in YEARS. Since you use so little of it, why not use butter instead? You're not saving any money by using shortening, if you're throwing most of it out. Besides, butter's better for you.

Last time that happened to me, I just tossed it in the trash. Mind, that was probably in the late 1980's or early 1990's.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Ewww, rancid shortening! I haven't used shortening in YEARS. Since you use so little of it, why not use butter instead? You're not saving any money by using shortening, if you're throwing most of it out. Besides, butter's better for you.

Last time that happened to me, I just tossed it in the trash. Mind, that was probably in the late 1980's or early 1990's.
Yeah, I'm just going to start buying those smaller tubs of Crisco. lol That'll be good for my needs. All I ever really make with shortening are cookies and fry bread. (mmm..... that sounds good....)
I prefer not wasting a whole stick of butter on cookies, but I'll admit there are certain types of cookies where the butter taste is better, IMO. So I'll do half shortening, half butter.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post
Well I could tell the difference today, because the shortening expired in August 2012.
That was not an expiration date, just a "Best if used by:" date. If you had kept it in the refrigerator it would likely still be good.

A more important date is when you opened the can. If you stored the can on a cool pantry self, the product should have been good for a year. Storing it in a hot location would cause it to go rancid much more quickly.

http://www.crisco.com/About_Crisco/faqs.aspx

Quote:
How do I dispose of a big tub of shortening. Anyone?
Put it in your garbage.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That was not an expiration date, just a "Best if used by:" date. If you had kept it in the refrigerator it would likely still be good.

A more important date is when you opened the can. If you stored the can on a cool pantry self, the product should have been good for a year. Storing it in a hot location would cause it to go rancid much more quickly.

About Crisco - Crisco FAQs - Crisco®

Put it in your garbage.
I read that as, "Put it in your garage". And then what happens?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I read that as, "Put it in your garage". And then what happens?
Use it to grease the wheels on your soapbox racer. That's what I used when i was kid!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Well this thread could get randy real quick if it was in the relationship forum.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:28 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Randy? What's randy about rancid grease? Yuk.

I think it deserves a proper funeral and ceremonial interment in a remote area. Maybe just skip buying another tub and use butter. You mentioned fry bread - do you put it in the dough, or do you melt it down and fry the dough in it? Just curious!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
I did not think there was a proper way to dispose of crisco. Any way I never use it but when my mom did she just threw it in the trash can.

Last edited by lubby; 03-28-2013 at 06:13 AM..

Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I keep the shortening in the fridge, and I buy those sticks. I know it's more expensive that way, but I don't wind up throwing it out.

I do the same with canola oil; buy the smallest possible bottle, and keep it refrigerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well this thread could get randy real quick if it was in the relationship forum.
Now there's a forum that should come with an expiration date ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink