Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 04:40 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times

Advertisements

Good morning all-hope our Cyn's enjoying some needed sleep.

Love Fra Diavolo. And Southdown we have something in common-I'm an eggplant and mushroom lover and alone in that.

Leftover stew tonight.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Tonight is fun night and going to be very interesting to say the least! My son's culinary class is involved with a fundraiser for the college so we all get to eat Hors d’oeuvres and dinner cooked by Graham Kerr, known to many as the Galloping Gourmet, along with Master Chef Karl Guggenmos and Chef Vern Liebelt with assistance by the culinary class. This comes along with a cooking seminar and town hall lecture on "the future of food".
I understand part of the menu to be pastry wrapped figs and some type of soup, Elk steaks and that's all my son will tell me. He's been prepping since Monday. If y'all want I'll let you know what Chef Kerr ends up making in total.
Cheers!!

Old 09-24-2008, 05:05 AM

Oh that sounds like a really great night-enjoy and full report due tomorrow.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:38 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
And Southdown we have something in common-I'm an eggplant and mushroom lover and alone in that.

Leftover stew tonight.
Just a little glimpse of the eggplant factory... Lacey may have the Velveeta bargains but I've the corner on the market when it comes to "Eggplant". Here's da proof. And this is just how much I like them too. Ya thinks yaz could get your fill here? Dinner is some where out there. Looking here for ideas as my mind has none at this time of day.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:46 AM

Okay I'll share!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:06 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Whew! Made it through yesterday and got a great nights sleep last night!! I feel much better today. Had a good time with the babies even though I was so tired. Had simple hamburgers last night that hubby made on the grill and were great of course! Hubby made up the roast also yesterday so that's what we'll have tonight plus today I'll be making up some containers full of sliced beef and gravy to freeze for future dinners this winter! I have to admit, I've only had eggplant one time. I don't even remember what it taste like. From what all of you here keep talking about it looks like it's something I will have to try again soon. Soooo...I will keep watching for some interesting, easy recipes for preparing eggplant!! Thanks for all those "good-wishes" from everyone. My knee is feeling much better today too---it's amazing what a little aspirin will do!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Okay I'll share!!!!!!
I would gladly do some horse trading with you but that photo was taken hours before some of arctic air made it down my way. We actually saw it get below 30° for one night last winter and that's all it takes to wipe out all of the eggplant, tomato, and squash when it does come our way. I believe the eggplant field was a 100 acres or more. There is risk in the production of our dinner that we often don't realize.

Every thing from last nights dinner was great except for the cheesy broccoli. It was not good. I made the mistake of buying a box ready for the microwave instead of using either plain and adding my own cheese. Cheese was down right out nasty. Live and learn.

"Soooo...I will keep watching for some interesting, easy recipes for preparing eggplant!! "

We do them in the simple way. Peel, slice 1/4 to 3/8 thick, batter and sautee in olive oil. Some like in casseroles but we do not so have to recipes for that kind of stuff. I'll be you can find someone out of this bunch who has some other types of recipes though.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I would gladly do some horse trading with you but that photo was taken hours before some of arctic air made it down my way. We actually saw it get below 30° for one night last winter and that's all it takes to wipe out all of the eggplant, tomato, and squash when it does come our way. I believe the eggplant field was a 100 acres or more. There is risk in the production of our dinner that we often don't realize.

Every thing from last nights dinner was great except for the cheesy broccoli. It was not good. I made the mistake of buying a box ready for the microwave instead of using either plain and adding my own cheese. Cheese was down right out nasty. Live and learn.

"Soooo...I will keep watching for some interesting, easy recipes for preparing eggplant!! "

We do them in the simple way. Peel, slice 1/4 to 3/8 thick, batter and sautee in olive oil. Some like in casseroles but we do not so have to recipes for that kind of stuff. I'll be you can find someone out of this bunch who has some other types of recipes though.
My wifes favorite is to slice 'em and paint with olive oil/garlic mix and toss on the grill.
You might want to try this one from Alton Brown:

Eggplant Steaks

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup thick steak sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
8 (1/2-inch) eggplant slices, purged with salt (see below)
1 cup grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons chopped parsley, optional

In a small bowl whisk together the Worcestershire, steak sauce, olive oil, honey, and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Pat your eggplant dry with paper towels. With a pastry brush apply the sauce to both sides of the eggplant. Place eggplant rounds onto a sheet tray fitted with a rack. Place the tray under the broiler for until eggplant is nicely browned, approximately 2 minutes. Turn slices over and place back under broiler to brown the other side. Generously sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan over all of the slices. Place back under the broiler for 1 minute to nicely brown the cheese. Serve plain or sprinkle with freshly chopped herbs.

For Salt purging the eggplant: Cut off the spiky top and peel the eggplant. Cut into slices about 1/2-inch thick. Spread the pieces of eggplant in a colander and sprinkle evenly with salt. This will draw out the juices and help firm up the texture of the eggplant. Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Pat dry to remove any excess salt.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
My wifes favorite is to slice 'em and paint with olive oil/garlic mix and toss on the grill.
You might want to try this one from Alton Brown:

Eggplant Steaks

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup thick steak sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
8 (1/2-inch) eggplant slices, purged with salt (see below)
1 cup grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons chopped parsley, optional

In a small bowl whisk together the Worcestershire, steak sauce, olive oil, honey, and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Pat your eggplant dry with paper towels. With a pastry brush apply the sauce to both sides of the eggplant. Place eggplant rounds onto a sheet tray fitted with a rack. Place the tray under the broiler for until eggplant is nicely browned, approximately 2 minutes. Turn slices over and place back under broiler to brown the other side. Generously sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan over all of the slices. Place back under the broiler for 1 minute to nicely brown the cheese. Serve plain or sprinkle with freshly chopped herbs.

For Salt purging the eggplant: Cut off the spiky top and peel the eggplant. Cut into slices about 1/2-inch thick. Spread the pieces of eggplant in a colander and sprinkle evenly with salt. This will draw out the juices and help firm up the texture of the eggplant. Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Pat dry to remove any excess salt.
I do like the grilling idea. Thanks. Once the new crop comes in I'll give it a try.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:17 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,061,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
So sad about the cheese experience, I feel for you

Eggplant - Preserve it!!!

The Italians do a couple or 3 variations on preserved eggplant Melanzane Sott'Olio - 'eggplant under oil' - which is lovely, it really firms up and becomes quite meaty. Great in sandwiches, stripped up in a salad, diced in a pasta sauce 'n so forth...a bit of faffing about doing the prep but worth it. Boil the garlic too, if you want to keep the eggpalnt stored a while - to be squeaky clean.

Melanzane Sott'Olio

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/4 pounds (1 k) eggplant
  • Olive oil
  • Vinegar
  • Minced parsley
  • An anchovy fillet (the kind that comes rolled up in a jar)
  • A clove of garlic
  • Salt
  • A bay leaf
Preparation:

If the eggplant are large slice them thinly lengthwise; if they're small cut them into rounds.

Bring a quantity of vinegar diluted with water sufficient to cover the eggplant to a boil, salt it, and boil the eggplant. When they are almost done (i.e. before a fork runs through them easily) drain them and put them on a piece of wood to dry for a half hour.

Next, take a jar sufficiently large to hold the eggplant; lay the slices into is, dusting them well with finely minced parsley and adding oil to cover the layers as you go. When you have filled the jar unroll the anchovy fillet and lay it across the top, together with the bay leaf. Crush the clove of garlic and add it too, make sure there's oil to cover, and set them aside until you're ready to use them.

Note: Select a blemish-free clove of garlic and wash it quite well, or boil - because garlic can carry botulism spores.

Eggplant involtini are great too - I did them for a wedding veggie dish and they went down a storm

lots of other preserved eggplant recipes out there...
http://www.aubergines.org/recipes.php?eggplant=2016

Last edited by southdown; 09-24-2008 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink