Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,694 times

Advertisements

Molochai, great news!

VPCats, congratulations on your one year of no smoking!

Happy 44th Anniversary Nomadicus!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:33 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,865 times
Elston! - the Yorkshire puds - I guess individual yorkshires baked in muffin tins are a bit like popovers, but yorkshires should be a bit messier and more gooey in the middle, which I prefer, for soaking up the gravy goodness! Popovers are the sanitised version of a yorkie pud - they're really just a crispy shell, yorkshires are more substantial... they were designed to fill you up!

I make it by eye so I don't have an exact recipe, but the secret to rising is lots of eggs. This was in the paper today, interesting reading if you like the science side of cooking...and some good tips from readers too ...
Tim Hayward: the science of Yorkshire pud - publicity stunt or great recipe? | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

I think I use about 1 egg per 2 tbs of flour, so probably 3 eggs per half pint of liquid (I use milk and water). Don't add salt until after mixing the milk/water in (salt makes raw eggs go grey).

My top tip for putting oil in the 12 holes of a muffin tin... fill the three hloes on the short side, then tip the tray at an angle to allow the oil to run across the tray, streaming into next row of holes, and so on... easy!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Try it over hashbrown potatoes sometime - carb heaven! Not something to indulge in often, but it's a real treat once in a great while.
MWBW that sounds delightfulllllllllll ha ha

Old 11-13-2008, 09:42 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times
Aw shucks thanks ya all. I am feeling better now thanks again for making it so welcoming to whomever steps in. I have really enjoyed CD since I have been here but this thread has made me feel so blessed to know more of you!

Now since I don't do all those fancy little dancing graphics please envision...................................

hands clapping, cartwheeling, jumping for joy, hand waving howdy, ear to ear grinning and a halo over head since I am so humbly honored by your comments.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:48 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,861,039 times
Going to go catch up a little, been busy around here...life's little oop's...but see Nomad needs a very chocolate happy anniversary...forget the peppers...

We had a light ham and potato soup with veggies, and this to sop the broth...forgot the soup pics...and thanks so much Nikkzone for the recipe!!! This is fantastic and so easy....

Old 11-14-2008, 03:50 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Elston! - the Yorkshire puds - I guess individual yorkshires baked in muffin tins are a bit like popovers, but yorkshires should be a bit messier and more gooey in the middle, which I prefer, for soaking up the gravy goodness! Popovers are the sanitised version of a yorkie pud - they're really just a crispy shell, yorkshires are more substantial... they were designed to fill you up!

I make it by eye so I don't have an exact recipe, but the secret to rising is lots of eggs. This was in the paper today, interesting reading if you like the science side of cooking...and some good tips from readers too ...
Tim Hayward: the science of Yorkshire pud - publicity stunt or great recipe? | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

I think I use about 1 egg per 2 tbs of flour, so probably 3 eggs per half pint of liquid (I use milk and water). Don't add salt until after mixing the milk/water in (salt makes raw eggs go grey).

My top tip for putting oil in the 12 holes of a muffin tin... fill the three hloes on the short side, then tip the tray at an angle to allow the oil to run across the tray, streaming into next row of holes, and so on... easy!
Thank You, I really enjoyed the article......just now on my diet...the puds would be a no no but even reading about them was fun.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:10 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,165,726 times
Just a quickie post.........thank you everyone for your comments and terrific support!
I'm up and off to start my day! See you all later for more.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:10 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Good morning all-

NomaD-a very Happy 44th Anniversary to you both! Enjoy the day.

VPCats-Congrats girl-remember when you started this journey.

Molochair-good luck w/PT.

Jaxon-you shouldn't feel that way-we're one big happy family here.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Try it over hashbrown potatoes sometime - carb heaven! Not something to indulge in often, but it's a real treat once in a great while.
I do that and put two over easy eggs on top, my absolute favorite breakfast!

Old 11-14-2008, 05:30 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Jaxon, I was so happy to see you were the 15,000th poster! What better person but someone fairly new to here...a better welcoming then I could have given you! And what a nice way to help us out by your sharing here! We are so happy you have decided to join our little foodie community! But be aware...it may cause some wieght gain! But a lot of the people up here are weight conscious and help us out by posting some great ideas for low fat, good dinners!! Thanks for that 15,000 post my friend!

Welcome to the newbies here today and yesterday....once again I am in rep prison but as soon as I am released I will welcome you all properly!

VPCats....That is wonderful. Now if only I can do it! I've cut my smoking back but I just need to quit. You are so right that it isn't easy. I want to do it for my kids/grandkids so I will be around to see them all grow up! I will continue to keep working at it and with inspiration like yours maybe it will keep me focused!

Nomadicus, congratulations to you and your wife. Wow! You both must be doing something right!

Thanks Amber for the Steak Diane recipe. I will put it in my file. My little researcher and cook!

Lacey...see what happens when you get so thin? You no longer have any insulation against that cold! It won't be long hopefully and you'll be in a warmer place. Meantime, bundle up my friend.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the very nice things you have said about me. Sure makes a person feel good!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink