Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 08:17 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I remember when I was a kid visiting a lady who lived on a farm in Kentucky....she had a smoke house out back in which she smoked hams and bacon etc over hickory......the smell was wonderful. From what I remember the smoke house wasnt much bigger than a good sized out house. I think that process took weeks or months.....maybe I misunderstood but.I know it wasnt the same as a Bar B Q

Supper hasnt formed in my mind...
Elston, this is a little late, but I was just reading over the day's posts.

Most smokehouses that we remember as kids were not just smokers, but also a storehouse for the smoked meats.

Smoking is done at about 170° - 180° and takes a couple of days for a large ham leg. The rest of the time it hangs in the smokehouse, away from the direct heat, for storage. Usually a farmer or whoever would salt cure or brine cure the meat first and then smoke for flavor. Different woods add different flavors and strength to the meat.

My brother still smokes his own ham - and poultry and fish, too. It is wonderful smoked. Most of the time he uses oak, but does throw in apple tree chips, hickory, others for different flavors. You might want to try it with one of the portable smokers that you can now buy online.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:18 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Once I got down to the red line, I knew it was a keeper...

HA HA HA HA! Just for you Nomad

Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
I will definitely be trying your chimi recipe amber! much better than deep frying it

tonight the bf made a jambalaya with shrimp and sausage that was so good! definitely a keeper!

denise, glad the bruschetta chicken from kraft is good because that's what we already had planned for tomorrow's dinner! i want to try the banana cream pie cheesecake recipe in therw too

lacey, the chicken recipe you posted is a must try too. thanks!!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:37 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I will definitely be trying your chimi recipe amber! much better than deep frying it

tonight the bf made a jambalaya with shrimp and sausage that was so good! definitely a keeper!

denise, glad the bruschetta chicken from kraft is good because that's what we already had planned for tomorrow's dinner! i want to try the banana cream pie cheesecake recipe in therw too

lacey, the chicken recipe you posted is a must try too. thanks!!
Your bf or the jambalaya?

Old 09-16-2008, 09:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Your bf or the jambalaya?
I'd suggest keeping 'em both - good jambalaya recipes are highly prized commodities, and a significant other who knows how to make a good jambalaya is even better (says the woman who married just such a fellow 28 years ago)!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:53 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Amber, I really like your chimichanga recipe. The one thing that I dislike about chimis is the fact that they're deep-fried, and getting it crispy in the oven instead sounds like a perfect solution. Thanks so much for sharing!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
I made nuggets and pasta for the kids. I had leftover spaghetti and dh had nuggets. It was kind of eat whatever you want night.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:05 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
I logged onto this thread early this AM and since then, haven't been able to stop thinking of food. Not having anything particular I had to do today, made things even worse.

So.... I rummaged around the pantry and the freezer. What else?

The first thing I did was make Gem's Creeping Crust Cobbler, with cherry pie filling. OMG, it was sooooo easy and is to die for. It's a good thing this recipe makes a 9 x 12 dish full. Anything smaller and there wouldn't have been anything left by the time dinner came around. Thank you so much Gem!

I defrosted chicken and made chicken noodle soup. (I love the way it makes the house smell.) I took most of the cooked chicken and stole a little bit of the soup and carrots, and made chicken and rice. I put that all away for later this week, probably tomorrow night (Wednesday) and again on Friday.

Tonight I broiled the rib lamb chops I was going to make last night, since they were defrosted, and served them with sides of fresh, sweet, white corn on the cob and broccoli crowns.

I only have to plan dinner for Thursday night now. Yippee!! Oh yeah, and make another dessert. Gem's cobbler is GONE!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:13 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Chee Dee, Did you do any variation on the cobbler ? How much sugar, how much butter did you use? I want to give it a try. We finished the cheese cake last night. That recipe is delicious too!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:40 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Chee Dee, Did you do any variation on the cobbler ? How much sugar, how much butter did you use? I want to give it a try. We finished the cheese cake last night. That recipe is delicious too!
Desserts are not my specialty, so I didn't want to tinker with it until I tried it first.

I used 1.5 sticks of butter and the full 2 cups of sugar, along with one can of cherry pie filling. Next time I am going to try adding more pie filling (maybe 1.5 cans?), because I want to see if I could get it a little more fruity, however, it was fabulous just the way it was! After slopping it all together, it's pretty amazing how the topping rises and sucks up all of that butter from the bottom.

At dinner time I served it warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some real whipped cream. OMG, even after eating all that yesterday I am ready for more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink