Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 07:35 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times

Advertisements

Ah! Our garden is going crazy! We've got tomatoes, jalapenos, serranos, green bell peppers, banana peppers, zuchini, yellow squash, and cukes right now that are all out of control! Gonna have to give some away b/c we can't eat it all....

Tonight we used a variety of the peppers and tomatoes and made chicken fajitas (onion, mushrooms too). Spanish rice, sour cream, limes, guac, and cilantro on the side. I've got "back to school" night tomorrow, so good thing we made plenty of extra

Night!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:39 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Chicken pot pie (home made of course) This is my three year old daughter's favorite. She's no fool, she loves the pie crust best..... LOL

Made double batch of the filling, and froze it in a zip lock bag for another night.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:44 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
As I sit here scheming tomorrow nights dinner I'm thinking about ham, some kind of greens, fresh tomato and a small slice of pecan pie for dessert. I've been sort of good with the desserts after we polished of two key lime pies in 4 nights a couple of weeks ago. After all pecans are a health food aren't they?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Ah! Our garden is going crazy! We've got tomatoes, jalapenos, serranos, green bell peppers, banana peppers, zuchini, yellow squash, and cukes right now that are all out of control! Gonna have to give some away b/c we can't eat it all....

Tonight we used a variety of the peppers and tomatoes and made chicken fajitas (onion, mushrooms too). Spanish rice, sour cream, limes, guac, and cilantro on the side. I've got "back to school" night tomorrow, so good thing we made plenty of extra

Night!
Boy are you lucky! We've got a CRAZY garden Lot's of tomatoes but none of 'em red and now the rain/snow/wind is starting so I'm wondering if they'll ever get there or am I stuck with tons of fried green tomatoes this year With that in mind, anyone have any good recipies for green toms?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Boy are you lucky! We've got a CRAZY garden Lot's of tomatoes but none of 'em red and now the rain/snow/wind is starting so I'm wondering if they'll ever get there or am I stuck with tons of fried green tomatoes this year With that in mind, anyone have any good recipies for green toms?

Well actually, most of our tomatoes that are ready right now are cherry and roma....our regular tomatoes, of which there are a TON, are all still green as well. Can you freeze salsa?

Gonna make up a bunch of pesto to freeze this weekend as well......

Old 08-27-2008, 06:38 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Busy day... visit my grandmother, head to my Mom's to watch my youngest... take my oldest to karate...She will feed my kids for me prior to Karate... so the hubby and I will eat later in the night... Don't know yet... I have some shrimp I might marinate up, skewer, and stick on the grill...a salad... there is a sweet potato left I can bake up.... peppers and zucchini that need to be cooked asap... I can toss a tomato in with them and garlic... I think I just wrote the menu out... LOL

Old 08-27-2008, 07:11 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Last night, made a meatloaf (I like it fairly plain - no chunks - but w/parm cheese mixed inw/the breadcrumbs and egg. No parm, so I settled for some mozzarella. Ketchup on top. Still good.), baked 'taters and home made baked beans that I made w/leftover ham. Home made apple pie w/french vanilla ice cream. Good dinner.

Who is it has the ice cream maker?? I'll swap you a pc. of my pie for a bowl of your ice cream!

Jimj, if your tomatoes don't ripen before the weather goes bad on you, pick all the green ones you can and either wrap them in newspaper and box them up, put it in the basement if you have one, or a cool, dry place. Check them fairly frequently. Or you can get a box of sand (I liked the results from this one better), bury the green ones in the sand, put them box as above. You'll have fresh tomatoes for a good, long time.

Good luck.

Don't know what's for dinner tonight. Maybe shrimp scampi or alfredo or a pasta dish w/hot sausage. I think there's a theme here! LOL

Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Last year we bought a Cuisinart commercial ice cream maker for when our grands came. Wow did we experiment-hubby and I. Packed on a few pounds. Haven't used it since last Aug. when kids and I made lots of ice cream.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:28 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Tonight we are having shrimp etouffe, baked fish, brown rice and a salad. DH doesn't like the etouffe but the kids do. I am going to try and make some cookies or brownies today but we will have to see if I actually achieve that.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:43 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
Tonight is Chicken Marsala tweaked a bit to make it low fat

4 thin chicken breasts (pounded)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp olive oil
2cups sliced mushroom (freshif avail)
2 tsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Marala
1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper

Heat oil in skillet over med high heat. Add chicken and cook through about 3- minutes on each side. Transfer to plate and keep warm.
Add mushrooms to skillet and cook, stirring frequently until browned about 3 minutes. Sprinkle mushrooms with flour stirring to blend. Add the Marsala wine and broth..bring to a boil. Cook stirring occasionally until sauce thickens for about 3 minutes. Spoon sauce over the chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink