Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 09:51 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
You know, we'd all be willing to help you eat those fudges if you'd like. We'll do anything for a CD friend!
It would be my pleasure to share the weight gain.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,871,354 times
Quote:

skbs, I'm so sorry to hear about your headache. Hey, if you need company on that vacation........

Doesn't that sound like fun? Sounds like more and more of a plan as the snow comes down faster and faster.... I am pricing tickets now.... and dreaming of pina colatas and pineapple chunks..... now where did I put my credit card......

Old 11-20-2008, 10:05 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
CheyDee, A very good idea.......or maybe a mumu! Nice and big and loose!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:10 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,061,405 times
Highlandsgirl - hi!

The salmon Thai curry was kinda based around Jamie Oliver's Thai Broth, which is lovely..online here FRAGRANT THAI BROTH

I made mine up along these lines...whizzed together in a food processor: (all fresh) garlic, ginger, lemon grass, green onions and galangal (optional). If you like it spicy, add a fresh chilli or two in here as well. Then stir fried that gently in a little oil in a large deep skillet for 2-3 minutes.

Then added about 2 cups of chicken stock and 4-5 kaffir lime leaves, seasoned with little salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, and brought to gentle boil. Added 2.5-3 lbs salmon fillets, cut into portion-sized pieces, and simmered 5 minutes, then added can coconut milk and simmered another 5 mins, until salmon just done.

There is a lot of broth/sauce - and it's quite soupy, not thick like gravy.

Finished with a good squeeze of fresh lime juice, and fish sauce, to taste.

Before serving I will cook fresh green beans and red bell pepper strips in a little of the broth, then add back in with the salmon. And serve with a good few handfuls of chopped fresh cilantro over the top, over Jasmine rice or rice noodles.

You can leave out the coconut and have a clear broth, or use 'lite' low-fat versions if avoiding fats! And you can buy Thai paste from the Asian store with all the ingredients inside - including a lot of chilli! I like it hot, but the kids don't, so I make it from scratch with less heat - and have fresh chilli in fish sauce on the side with mine!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Thanks for the idea! I think I will wear one at dinner tonight.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:17 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Sounds good, but can I sub something for the lima beans, please???
You mean to tell me you don't like fresh from the field green fordhook lima beans? I guess that taste bud must be only in southern genes.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:17 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I'd bring a mumu to Mickey D's tonight, but ... well, you know ...

Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 AM

I've about decided just to pour some BBQ sauce over the pulled pork roast and bake a potato and slice a cuke and call it good. For dessert we will cut the watermelon. By tomorrow chocolate will sound good again.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You mean to tell me you don't like fresh from the field green fordhook lima beans? I guess that taste bud must be only in southern genes.
I've never had them fresh from the field.....but I love Lima's! I loved them even before I went south and learned about collards and grits and neck bones and sweet potatoes, corn bread and buttermilk. I enjoy frozen Fordhook lima's.

Us old Yankees ate more than our share of succatash...tho often those beans were dried lima beans.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I've never had them fresh from the field.....but I love Lima's! I loved them even before I went south and learned about collards and grits and neck bones and sweet potatoes, corn bread and buttermilk. I enjoy frozen Fordhook lima's.

Us old Yankees ate more than our share of succatash...tho often those beans were dried lima beans.
There be the baby limas that are traditional in succotash and then the large fordhooks. I like them both but the large ones the best. They are good frozen but so much better when you shell them out yourself. They are hard to find fresh anymore unless you grow them yourself. The oldtimers are not around these days that plant them for the upick places around my parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink