Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 08:11 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Just posted pics on the sticky pic thread (v apt), can you test 'em please?
Going right over. Back in a bit.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:21 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times
Aylalou that was a really late breakfast!

younglisa I have never seen a crown roast other than in cook books! Not even when we had our butchering done each year did one make it into our house. We used the same butcher or his family all my life so they just keep our "order" on file when we sent over a cow or pig. Guess since mother never ordered one they thought we didn't want one either.

southdown the longer you have cut your fudge the more chance it has to dry out a bit. It doesn't last around here long enough to do that usually unless I over cook the batch. I keep ours in the fridge then just keep refilling a plate we keep out during the holidays. You can cut the fudge anytime after it has set up good.

Nomad we will adopt ya buddy. We can both walk around here looking at each other when a timer goes off wondering what it was set for.

Boy this weather whipped up on us quickly tonight folks! Driving the 4 miles to the school our windshield froze over. Then when we came out after the concerts were over our van was froze over! Doors and windows~ bet you can't guess who hasn't put the ice scrapper in their van yet this year. DD had to go borrow one from another driver and it was an itty bitty thing pitiful really but far better than the one we had in our van.

Got 6 dozen eggs from the Amish farm and a loaf of bread so we are set to stay in if needed for a long time. As long as we keep power on we would be fine until the first of the year! Oops forgot I don't have DD's Christmas shopping done but I bet she would forgive me don't you?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
The recipe I have calls for you to submerge them in boiling water, drain, dry then bake? Does your recipe do that?
Yeppers, you boil them but I've also been told by bagel bakers that they add steam to the ovens to give 'em that crispy crust over that wonderful,heavenly chewy inside...
Darn, gotta get a towel and wipe the keyboard...
I'm tired and only had time to read this mornings posts, made Roasted chicken and fingerling potatoes and working on finishing the peach pie I made the other day. Night all, it's starting to snow and we're supposed to get a "major winter storm" starting in the AM.
Stay warm!
P.S. Those of you east of me might want to fuel up the snow throwers!!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:27 PM

We will need matching aprons so we can't get them mixed up.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:31 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
southdown the longer you have cut your fudge the more chance it has to dry out a bit. It doesn't last around here long enough to do that usually unless I over cook the batch. I keep ours in the fridge then just keep refilling a plate we keep out during the holidays. You can cut the fudge anytime after it has set up good.
So it's good to let it dry out - hooray! I was worried it would go hard if I cut it up too soon. Do you cover it when it's in the fridge? Thanks!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:35 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
Wow, you guys were busy here today! Goodness me, fudge and toothaches and blizzards and fishing and I don't know what all else... makes me wish I were here playing instead of working. But the bills must be paid, and I can't do that from the spare bedroom.

Supper tonight was a wonderful overstuffed quiche with spinach, mushrooms, bacon bits, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and parmesan cheese. Mmmmmmm..... really good stuff. The spouse made disparaging comments about the appearance of his crust, but it tasted just fine, which is what really matters, of course. Between you, me and the fencepost, I think he makes "ugly" crusts on purpose, just so that there's one thing in the kitchen I can actually do better than he can. Have I ever mentioned that I'm married to a really nice guy?

Had the daughter's friend and her sig-other join us, and we had a grand time laughing and joking together. It's always amusing to watch a couple in the early stages of their relationship, especially so when we can tell that they're just as amused by watching the "cute old codgers" that we've become in the past few decades. We're really just a couple of semi-reformed old hippies, and the youngsters are always hugely amused when they figure that out.

I'm not going to stay up too late tonight, as we had a good couple inches of snow before I left the office (which made the drive home interesting, and about twice as long as usual) and another 3 or 4 inches since then; I know what we'll spend 45 minutes or so doing before breakfast tomorrow. Fortunately spouse got another gallon of gas for the snowthrower; I'd much rather let the engine do the work than my creaky old back and knees.

Goodnight, all, stay warm and be careful on the ice out there tomorrow.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yeppers, you boil them but I've also been told by bagel bakers that they add steam to the ovens to give 'em that crispy crust over that wonderful,heavenly chewy inside...
Darn, gotta get a towel and wipe the keyboard...
I'm tired and only had time to read this mornings posts, made Roasted chicken and fingerling potatoes and working on finishing the peach pie I made the other day. Night all, it's starting to snow and we're supposed to get a "major winter storm" starting in the AM.
Stay warm!
P.S. Those of you east of me might want to fuel up the snow throwers!!!!
If you are drooling thinking about bagels don't go to the foodie pic thread to see what southdown just posted.

southdownyes I cover my fudge in the fridge. How long before you pass out your goodie bags? If you want soft smooth fudge cut it before serving or eating it can take sitting out fairly well. It is the air when sitting out that harden it up or gets 'crusty' on the outside. Just put some plastic wrap over the plate you are leaving set out and no problem I have had.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
If you are drooling thinking about bagels don't go to the foodie pic thread to see what southdown just posted.

southdownyes I cover my fudge in the fridge. How long before you pass out your goodie bags? If you want soft smooth fudge cut it before serving or eating it can take sitting out fairly well. It is the air when sitting out that harden it up or gets 'crusty' on the outside. Just put some plastic wrap over the plate you are leaving set out and no problem I have had.
Thanks for the compliments! It looks OK, and tastes really quite nice but doesn't have that very fine grain that 'real' fudge has, but I read up on how to make the professional stuff and it looked a bit too tricky for me!

I'm giving some out over the weekend and early next week. I'm worried it will sweat if it's in cellophane bags too early...thanks Jax

Old 12-16-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Thanks for the compliments! It looks OK, and tastes really quite nice but doesn't have that very fine grain that 'real' fudge has, but I read up on how to make the professional stuff and it looked a bit too tricky for me!

I'm giving some out over the weekend and early next week. I'm worried it will sweat if it's in cellophane bags too early...thanks Jax
You are welcome. I wouldn't put it in the bags until maybe the day before you give them away. What a nice blessing somebody will be receiving!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:48 PM

I'm dreaming of a fudgy Christmas.......................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink