Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 12:32 PM

48,151 posts, read 22,016,035 times

Advertisements

Panko

I have never seasoned the panko the way I do seasoned flour.....IMHO panko is a crisp golden dream of a breading...it is perfect..it doesn't over power or compete with the shrimp or chicken or pork cutlet....it is a crisp beautiful crunchy augmentation.....now dipping sauces are great with panko coated items.....but I wouldnt discribe panko as bland....to me that is the way it is supposed to be....like a kiss...I might add garlic to the oil .....but I appreciate the panko for doing its job so perfectly.....and that isnt to be the flavor of the dish.

(But if the barefooot contessa seasons hers.......I guess.....Panko maybe a case of "east meets west"...)

Old 12-16-2008, 12:34 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
The recipe I have calls for you to submerge them in boiling water, drain, dry then bake? Does your recipe do that?

I think the traditional method also called for the addition of molasses to the boiling water.

I know when I was a young child bus trips to NYC with my Dad were never complete without stopping at a deli for a hot kkish and bag of bagels to bring home.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:54 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
How much do people pay for a good bagel these days?

We live in a bagel desert.. I can have Einstein's, grocery store, or a small local chain called Benny's, which is not especially good. We actually like the grocery store best out of those choices. The fresh ones from the bakery, not the Sarah Lee...
I think Einstein's is quite overpriced and mediocre, but it's actually been a couple years since I went in there so I don't remember the price.

There are a lot of Jewish people in Dallas, but for some reason we don't have any (or very very few) authentic delis or bagel shops in the area.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:50 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Ok, I am making chicken tenders in panko with french fries and green and wax beans. I'm make up a good dipping sauce for the chicken tenders. I'm thinking a BBQ sauce maybe. I am going to make a nice crisp green salad with all the trimmings too.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:57 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times
MTH post that bagel bread machine recipe please I would like to try it.

Debsi what is boars head hot dogs? A brand or from real boars head?

elston expand my cooking ability please what is panko? Is it like bread crumbs as I see a lot of you bread things with it. Would it be with the bread crumbs at the store?

daytripper that is my worry about selling this farm no garage when I move. I am so use to pulling into my garage which is attached to my house I am a spoiled brat. No windows to scrape in the winter, not getting wet unloading things, easy to clean out the cars and an extra room if needed for a large food gathering.

cyn my peanut butter fudge was over cooked. I use an iron skillet so it isn't deep enough for my candy thermometer so I use the cup of cold water trick. Your fudge sounds yummy too might have to give it a whirl. My family prefers PB over chocolate most times.

Howdy food friends! We got some white stuff it is covering our ground but supposed to get up to 4" by tonight. We have a band concert at the school so we might be surprised when it is over with. No time to cook and eat before hand so it will probably be Subway on the way home unless the weather says "get your butts home now".

Old 12-16-2008, 02:05 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
Bread Machine Bagels

1 cup warm water
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/4 tsp yeast

Place above in bread machine. Run dough cycle. When done let dough rest 10 min. Bring 3 quarts water to boil, stir in 3 tablespoons sugar into water.

Cut dough into 9 equal pieces. Roll into balls. Flatten balls, poke hole in center with finger. Cover with clean cloth and lest rest another 10 min.

Sprinkle ungreased cookie sheet with cornmeal.

Transfer bagels to water a few at a time. Boil 1 min, turning halfway through. Drain on towel.

Arrange on sheet, glaze with egg white.

Bake 375 degrees 20 to 25 min until well browned.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Not a clue yet. No ideas at all today. I think the wife will make the executive decision today.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:33 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,297,509 times
Well, we finally had to turn on the air conditioner in the house! Weird weather!

Dinner is stir fry chicken and veggies!

Ok, my foodie friends - help me out on this one. Hubby and I are going to the lake house for our Christmas - celebrating a day early with family and then going. Well, I would love to have something savory and wonderful for the two of us. Here's the kicker......my back has been giving me such a fit lately (3 ruptured disks, arthritis etc...), I am having difficulty standing for any length of time. What are some ideas for our cozy little christmas dinner? I am open to anything whether it be traditional or not! I just do not want any more dressing! Help?

Old 12-16-2008, 02:35 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Maybe that is why I can't concentrate on dinner. AC is off. Well it is staying off. Window and doors have been open now for two days. What better way to torment the neighbors other than the smell of a good dinner cooking.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:43 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I'm doin' a "happy-dance" here! Finished with all the fudge packing for shipping. I sure hope it stays ok while being shipped??!! Then it's off to the PO and maybe to the city to get gifts for the grandkids. It depends on the weather.........
I decided on chicken tenders after reading here. Just plant a seed and watch it grow...........
Woo Hoo. You must feel o relieved to have that over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I pray this is our last winter here.

Think by tomorrow night we have to get out of here for a change of scenery.
I hope you guys get an offer soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Well it's warmed up here, it's only -17 outside.

B]Lacey[/b] - I wish this would be our last winter here as well, but I know we are stuck here for at least another 2-3 years, because we are so far upside down in our house right now. When I get our cars paid off (2010) I'm hoping to bring our principal down some.
Wow it's time to get the shorts out. Stay warm. I'm sorry about the house situation. Just keep doing what you are doing. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Tonight I am doing chicken marinated in Teriyaki sauce, garlic and "five spice" , Wok fried with broccoli , onions and served with egg noodles.

All you people are making me so hungry though, I am not sure I can wait until hubby gets home, I may just have to go and rummage in the fridge for a snack ! Maybe cheese and crackers...

Hello everybody by the way, I have been trying to rep some of you but I have been so "dormant" on CD for a while that I can't.

Anyhoo it all sounds very delicious !
Am I invited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Panko

I have never seasoned the panko the way I do seasoned flour.....IMHO panko is a crisp golden dream of a breading...it is perfect..it doesn't over power or compete with the shrimp or chicken or pork cutlet....it is a crisp beautiful crunchy augmentation.....now dipping sauces are great with panko coated items.....but I wouldnt discribe panko as bland....to me that is the way it is supposed to be....like a kiss...I might add garlic to the oil .....but I appreciate the panko for doing its job so perfectly.....and that isnt to be the flavor of the dish.

(But if the barefooot contessa seasons hers.......I guess.....Panko maybe a case of "east meets west"...)
Thank you so much for the explanation. I have never seen panko. Where do you get it?

Hi all,
I had a fun morning at the dentist. A new dentist from a really small town. Turns out I had 1 bad cavity, must have been from all the sweets I've been making. Anyway it was not a fun experience. It was like I stepped back to the 1970's. When I saw the swirling spit bowl, remember those?, I almost walked out. But I was already having too much pain so I stayed. Anyway, now it hurts more than before. It's been a fun food day. Scrambled eggs for breakfast, oatmeal for lunch, and I think soup for dinner.
Not feeling so great gotta go. Have a good night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink