Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 07:19 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I made corned beef and cabbage...and tried Nomad's trick of pouring in some jalapeno juice.
You are torturing me...That is the dish my son always wants his mom to make when he comes home....I would sure like to take him some now...The more I read here tonight the larger my tummy becomes...

Old 03-04-2009, 07:33 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,164,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Guess I'll just stay out of the Dr.s office then!
Unbelievable how much money the Big Pharmas are making! I am pretty upset at funding them to be honest. How in the world did our grandparents do it---with no medications and such??? No side effects from the medications that ment more medications to take care of the side effects?????? Kinda scary really.

Yeah but think about it. Our grandparents didn't have such a long life expectancy for the most part. Did they have all the fast, fatty foods right at arms length like we have? did they have the plasma TVs with the remote controls so you don't have to budge from the couch? Did they get in the car to buy something 1 block away? Elevators? Our lives and routines are SO different from what theirs was. Was obesity as popular then as it is now?

I'll tell you a story... I have a ton of people telling me that pork is good for you because they eat a lot of pork in Cuba and everybody is healthy and no one has high cholesterol. My answer: Do they have cars? No they have to walk or ride bicycles. Do they have A/C? Do they have 24/7 TV with endless channels? Are the pigs fed full of steroids and pesticides? Are there even enough pigs? LOLLLLLLLLL Yeah! There's plenty of them.

So we have made our lives what they are today and have gotten used to popping pills to take care of every ailment, instead of trying to eat right and exercise (I'm guilty!!!).

OK Lecture over.

Fish was awful! It had bones.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:55 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
Just wanted to "report in" had a swim meet tonight. The chicken was so moist & flavorable we had baked pots, broccoli and wild rice along with it.

Hey where was skbs at today? Hope the girls are feeling better.

Lacey glad Mr. L felt up to doing stuff and hope he gets his tux fitted so that is off your to do list.

Nomad it is a good thing you are so flexible and accommodating when it comes to eating.

Sorry no detailed run down but Top Chef reunion is on so see ya tomorrow!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,796,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You are torturing me...
That's what I'm here for.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You are torturing me...That is the dish my son always wants his mom to make when he comes home....I would sure like to take him some now...The more I read here tonight the larger my tummy becomes...
Shoot.. now I want some too!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I love me some Panko!!!

In my local paper today there was a recipe that called for dipping your French Toast slices in Panko before frying. I think I'm gonna have to try that

Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
That's what I'm here for.
I believe it. Just for that I'm having another Swiss Roll...I know where to find cabbage and corned beef tomorrow. Have extra jalapeno juice too.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:56 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Simple green pepper/cheddar omelet tonight.

16 days 'til Spring!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
I was browsing NPR's website this evening and found a great article (with recipes) on casseroles; thought y'all might enjoy it: Nouveau Casseroles : NPR. I think I'm gonna have to try that version of a green bean casserole.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,759 times
Just a hello for now... Have had the little one going to work with me the past 2 days. No sitter. No problem He is such a help! Cleaning and setting tables. Greeting customers Washing windows. I am so proud. I did find that recipe I spoke about some time ago.

shhhhh I took the page from the magizine in the dentist's office he he he shhhhhh

Spring Time Sweet Corn Soup
1/2 cup butter
1/2 small onion sliced
1/2 celery stalk
4 cups yellow corn kernels
2 tblspoons salt
3 cups heavy cream
5 cups veg stock
2 tblspoons sugar
dashes of white pepper to taste

Garnish (mmm very important)
6 oz lump crab meat
1/4 cup chives chopped

Melt butter. Add onion & celery cook until tender.
Add corn & salt. Cook for five minutes covered. Add cream and veg stock. Bring to a boil, then add sugar and pepper. Simmer 10 min. Remove from heat and puree in blender or use a immersion blender.
Strain through sieve. Each bowl is then garnished wih crab meat and chives.

Be back tomorrow. Night Foodies!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.