Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 05:18 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,154,733 times

Advertisements

So la ti da my soup is bubbeling away and smells mmm mmm good. Hub will be the judge of that WEDDING SOUP.....

Old 09-29-2008, 05:20 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,062,667 times
Last week I had house guests and while they were here I showed them how to make Sauerbraten, (German marinated pot roast), even though they did not get to eat the finished roast we made it anyway so they could see how it was done.

As it must marinate for five days I'm just cooking it tonight, and will have Spätzle and Rotkohl, (Red Cabbage) as the sides.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:22 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,284,178 times
Yes, Huck. Happy B'day to mom Huck. Congratulations.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:28 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,308,612 times
Seattlerain, I was just looking at German recipes today, since I love good weinershnitzel(I know I must have spelled that wrong)! I saw a sauerbraten recipe that said to marinate a long time too - I think this one was 3 days - anyhow, what type of flavor does this roast have? Is it really salty, pickled or what? I would love to try one! (Hint hint! Recipe?)

Old 09-29-2008, 05:30 PM

Well, Amber, la ti da even???? LOL Please let us know how the soup comes out! I bet it is gonna be goooooood!

Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM

48,227 posts, read 22,042,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Seattlerain, I was just looking at German recipes today, since I love good weinershnitzel(I know I must have spelled that wrong)! I saw a sauerbraten recipe that said to marinate a long time too - I think this one was 3 days - anyhow, what type of flavor does this roast have? Is it really salty, pickled or what? I would love to try one! (Hint hint! Recipe?)
Oh my god Saurbraten .... its been more than 30 years..... it is delicious!!!!! not salty....somewhat pickled.....ginger snap gravy.....I think the word would be savory.....a bit sweet a bit spicy....mellow...and delicious.....I never made one....I wonder if I could.....and with homemade noodly dumpliny goodness on the side.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:41 PM

Ok Elston, say "noodly, dumpliny goodness" three times in a row fast! LOL With a description like that, it HAS to be good! Yummmmmm!

AND I bet you could make one that was verrry tasty!

Last edited by Katsmeeyow; 09-29-2008 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: I guess I am trying to break the record for most edited post! (Or I am a big ole doofus, take your pick!) :)

Old 09-29-2008, 05:49 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,540,794 times
I've made a sauerbraten recipe that takes 3 days. It's my mom's. It came from her mother's friend in Pittsburgh back in the 40's or 50's. It doesn't have the gingersnaps. It has very few ingredients actually. Also, it's brisket and I think most of the recipes I looked up called for a different cut. I think it's just vinegar, onions, brisket, and a couple of spices.

At any rate, it's delicious and SUPER easy other than the long wait!!

Old 09-29-2008, 05:55 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,874,167 times
I do gingersnaps in pot roast-so good. And spaeztle-I'm dying here.

Funny story just got off the phone w/youngest g-baby-I asked what're you having?
She said chicken chow mein. I say "cool Mom made it?" "No G-Ma the Chinese guy with the car made it and he's ringing the doorbell now".

Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,062,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Sauerbraten is a sort of sweet-sour tasting roast, here is the recipe:

5-pound rump roast
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups water
1 large onion, sliced
2 bay leaves
8 cloves
8 peppercorns
*1 tablespoon pickling spices
1 large carrot, sliced
4 slices bacon
2 tablespoons butter
2 large onions sliced
1 bay leaf
6 cloves
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons sugar
lemon juice to taste
1/2 cup raisins soaked in warm water
tomato paste or sour cream, (optional)

Tie meat firmly with kitchen string in several places so it will be easy to turn without piercing and will hold its shape.

Rub well with salt on all sides and place in a deep, close fitting glass or earthenware bowl. In a sauce pan, combine vinegar, water, onion, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns, pickling spices and carrot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool marinade and pour over beef. The meat should be completely covered by the marinade; if not add equal amount of water and vinegar until it is. Cover and place in refrigerator for 5 days. Turn meat 2-3 times a day using the string as a handle.

Remove meat from marinade, strain marinade and reserve. Dry meat thoroughly on all sides. The meat will not brown properly if it is wet, so dry it as much as you possible can.

Dice bacon and fry it slowly in butter in a 5-quart Dutch oven or casserole. Remove bacon when well rendered, and add meat and brown slowly. Using the string as a handle, turn so meat is well seared and golden brown (but not black) on all sides. This should take about 15 minutes. Remove browned meat and add sliced onions to hot fat. Fry, stirrring from time to time until onions are deep golden brown, but not black.

Return meat to pot, placing it on top of onions. Add marinade unitl it reaches about halfway up sides of meat. Add bay leaf and cloves (not those used in the marinade) . Bring marinade to a boil, cover pot tightly, reduce heat and simmer very, very slowly but steadily for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, turning meat two or three times during cooking. Add more marinade to pot if needed. The meat is done when it can be pierced easily.

Remove meat to a heated platter and strain gravy. Skim off excess fat and return gravy to pot. Melt butter in saucepan and when hot, stil in flour and sugar. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly until sugar mixture turns a deep caramel color. Be careful doing this, as sugar burns all at once, and if it becomes black, you'll have to start over again. Add the sugar-flour to the hot gravy and stir briskly with a wire whisk. Season with lemon juice to taste; gravy should have a mild sweet-sour flavor. Add raisins, which have been soaked and drained. Return meat to pot, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. If sauce becomes too thick add a little more marinade.

A tablespoonfull of tomato paste or sour cream can be stirred in and heated through 4 or 5 minutes before serving time. Use one or the other or neither; never both. Check gravy for seasoning, slice and arrange meat on a heated platter and drizzle with gravy, serving the rest on the side.

6 or 8 crumbled gingersnaps or Lebkuchen are often added to this gravy for the lat 1/2 hour of cooking. They add flavor and richness.

* Pickling Spice is a mixture of cinnamon, mustard seed, bay leaves, allspice, dill seed, cloves, ginger, peppercorns, coriander, juniper berries, mace, and cardamom, it is usually available in most grocery stores.

This recipe may sound quite long, but is really not hard at all.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink