Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 01:21 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,220,653 times

Advertisements

Change of plans for tonight...

DH ran out to buy acid for the pool and came home with a beautiful, fresh 2# lobster. WooHoo!!! (It's hard getting good, fresh seafood out in this neck of the woods.) He doesn't care for seafood, so it's all for me

So tonight, DH will have the ground beef w/BBQ sauce over rice and I will have a delicious broiled, stuffed lobster. I don't have crabmeat to make my #1 fav stuffing with, but I do have frozen shrimp which will do. I'll have to make a big, fat baked potato to have with it, in order to use all of the melted, clarified butter that is leftover from dipping the lobster.

Oh boy - just thinking about it made my day!

Old 10-12-2008, 01:43 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,495 times
Tonight is Lasagna.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:48 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,738,199 times
I will try it first and then post it - if it's good.

Ok guys. Here's the recipe. I found it good, but no better than other recipes of its kind, and I even increased the amount of salt and pepper, but I had no cloves or allspice. I have to admit there was a tang missing. The sauce was thin but good over noodles. OK now that I've completely discouraged you - here goes:

1 lb. ground beef and 1/2 pound ground pork
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp each ginger, nutmeg, gloves and allspice
l egg beaten
1/2 C bread crumbs
1/2 C milk

1/2 pint cream

Mix all (but the cream) well. Form into balls. Roll in flour and fry until brown, the pour over 1/2 pint of cream. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Then put into casserole (which I covered - oops) and bake for 40 minutes. I served over noodles. It may be more tasty tomorrow when flavors set in. But don't get me wrong - it wasn't BAD.

Last edited by Aylalou; 10-12-2008 at 03:16 PM..

Old 10-12-2008, 01:49 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,844,780 times
CheyDee-wow he's a keeper!!!! That's the only size lobster I like-mmmmm.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:51 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,287,222 times
CheyDee, what time should I be there? Hmmm, Wonder how long it takes to get to where you are from where I am? You may have to keep it warm a while!

Old 10-12-2008, 02:47 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,290 times
After reading through most of the post today, I don't feel like making dinner here tonight. I would like to do a round robin at all of your homes for dinner.

CheyNee, I use sauerkraut with my stuffed cabbages too. I also like to put caraway seed in the sauerkraut. It really seems to add something unique to the flavor. Your husband is a prince with a lobster under his crown!! Enjoy your dinner.

Lacey, thanks for the recipe for the chicken. I have not made Chicken Cacciatore for a couple of years, it seems. I think this week would be a good time.

Welcome, Aylalou! Please do post your recipe after the first trial. It should be wonderful. We get so many ideas for dinner on this thread. It's terrific for someone like me who seems to be in a rut most of the time repeating the same old things.

Denise, I sure hope hubby feels better soon. Maybe tonight should be a chicken soup night. Cures what ails ya!

Molochai, I think I could eat lasagna everyday of the week if allowed! What a wonderful comfort food. (except around the belt area.)

NMS, make something for dinner that doesn't require two arms! You want to heal up that one in the sling. Glad you are doing better.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:49 PM

Oh, yeah. I am making a pork tenderloin with a yummy Grey Poupon mustard sauce for dinner. Like crazyworld, we'll have some simple baked potatoes and steamed spinach on the side with a nice 5 grain Italian bread to dip in the flavored olive oil.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:49 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,750 times
we are having a potluck type dinner with friends and watching football - smoked ribs, chips and guac, taco bake

Old 10-12-2008, 03:05 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,287,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Oh, yeah. I am making a pork tenderloin with a yummy Grey Poupon mustard sauce for dinner. Like crazyworld, we'll have some simple baked potatoes and steamed spinach on the side with a nice 5 grain Italian bread to dip in the flavored olive oil.
How do you cook your tenderloin? Oven? Grill? Etc..

Old 10-12-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
How do you cook your tenderloin? Oven? Grill? Etc..
It mainly depends on the weather, Kats. I would prefer to always do it on the grill (oh, so much flavor!), but as it is today quite cloudy, I will put it in a 400° oven for only 15 - 18 mins. I separate the two tenderloins and put them in the pan so they are not touching. The crispy pieces that stick to the bottom of the stainless pan make a wonderful brown gravy.

Before browning my flour in the pan, however, I add a T. or two of butter (the tenderloin does not give off much fat), some chopped shallots or scallions, 1 clove minced garlic, and just soften. Then, I add a couple of Ts. cake flour (like Swansdown) to the pan and golden brown the flour. I like to use milk or half and half to make the pan gravy, but you can use broth instead.

When it is getting bubbly and thickening, I add a big T. of Grey Poupon grainy mustard and about 3-4 T. of wine. It makes a wonderful little puddle of sauce on each dinner plate to place 4 or 5 slices of tenderloin on top. Looks lovely, tastes even better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink