Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:51 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
He wants to do the opposite of cutting.
Lots of people say that but when they get to a BMI of 40 change their tune and cycle between bulking and cutting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 AM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
I don't see where he said he is a body builder. Just someone that started exercising and was afraid of losing weight.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:24 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I recently started to exercise because I have more free time, and also because I enjoy it. The problem I'm facing is that I've already lost a few pounds and I really don't think I'm doing too much.

I definitely don't wanna lose weight. Obviously, I need to offset this with some high calorie food.

I heard that proteins shakes -the ones you find at the GMC stores- can make you gain weight. Is that true?

So what would you guys suggest as a high calorie post-workout meal?

As a side note, I am more interested in calorie content rather than quantity; I don't usually need much to be full.

Thanks!
What do you like to eat? I think that you need to research calorie dense foods and start throwing one or two into each meal. If your post work out meal is a salad, add nuts, seeds, avocado, cheese, dried fruit. There are a lot of calorie dense and healthy foods.

Skip the protein shakes.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:30 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Carbs--potatoes, bread, pasta. Eat those and you'll gain! If you want healthier carbs, do whole grain bread and add vegies to pasta & olive oil.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:45 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,916 times
Yeah...just eat carbs...the exact things I avoid except in limited moderation. I personally love the GNC lean shake, but
it's low cal/zero carb/zero sugar/high protein and won't make you gain weight. Good grief, it better not, I should know.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 PM

361 posts, read 725,314 times
Thanks guys.

I'm actually not trying to gain muscle. I just need to offset the weight I'm losing at the gym.
And BTW, I'm a female. lol

I checked out the protein shakes at GNC, they are pretty expensive! I didn't even realize it!

Gerania, the problem is the things I like to eat, I have to eat them in large quantity in order for me to gain any weight. Unfortunately, my stomach can only take so much. That's why I'm thinking it will be best for me, to focus on high calorie food.
I'm already eating 3 to 4 ice cream cones per day at Mcdonalds. Hopefully it's making a difference.
I guess I have to research what food is considered carbs and find out which ones have the highest calorie count.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Thanks guys.

I'm actually not trying to gain muscle. I just need to offset the weight I'm losing at the gym.
And BTW, I'm a female. lol

I checked out the protein shakes at GNC, they are pretty expensive! I didn't even realize it!

Gerania, the problem is the things I like to eat, I have to eat them in large quantity in order for me to gain any weight. Unfortunately, my stomach can only take so much. That's why I'm thinking it will be best for me, to focus on high calorie food.
I'm already eating 3 to 4 ice cream cones per day at Mcdonalds. Hopefully it's making a difference.
I guess I have to research what food is considered carbs and find out which ones have the highest calorie count.
That's your problem right there. You need to start eating super-premium ice cream.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Several have already answered this... potatoes, bread, pasta ... anything flour, baked goods, waffles. You know, all the yummy food that people at gyms normally don't eat because they want to lose weight.

Here's the MIT chart for high carb foods: High Carbohydrate Foods

Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Ok, there are some so so posts here and some totally off posts here.

First of all, what kind of work out are you doing? Lifting weights? Plyos? Just cardio? That will make a slight difference. What are your goals, other than of course maintaining your current weight? Do you want to add a little muscle, lose a little fat, look better naked, feel healthier?

Second, every post work out should include a protein shake if you are trying to maintain or build muscle. You want a whey protein as whey is the fastest absorbing protein in the body. After you lift, your body is craving protein, so whey gives it protein the fastest.

Whey protein is much better than "milk" it has less fat, and far far easier to get protein. I have 3 scoops (about 80 grams of protein) in my post workout protein shake. That would take a LOT of milk. Also, you mix the protein with water because milks slows down the absorption process and defeats the purpose.

Your next choice is going to be the type of carbohydrates you want to eat. There are two types and they both serve different purpose. There are complex carbohydrates and simple carbohydrates. In "nearly" every way, complex are ideal. These would consist of potatoes, brown rice, oatmeal, and a few others. Complex carbohydrates take the longest for your body to digest. They also have minimal sugar. This is beneficial in that because of the low sugar and longer digest, they don't create the insulin spike that simple carbohydrates do. The insulin spike from sugar/simple carbs, and because of it, the sugar can easier be converted to fat.

Simple carbs do have their place. Especially for people who have a hard time gaining weight, as you seem to, as well as I do. I am 5'9", 210 lbs with visible abs and it has taken a LOT of food to get this far. For about 6 months I was eating about 2000 calories a day just in Starbursts in McDonalds shakes. Add in all the complex carbs for my other meals, 400ish grams of protein, yeah, that's a LOT of food.

Anyways, back to simple carbs. If there's ever a good time to eat simple carbs, it's directly after your workout. Like the purpose of whey protein, simple carbs are digested really fast, which is good as your body is also craving carbs after a workout. The only people who I would definitely not suggest to eat simple carbs (at all really) are those trying to lose weight/lose body fat. Personally, I typically eat around 2 pop tarts (80 grams of carbs) and sometimes also a gatorade (34 grams of carbs).

I do not see any reason for people to eat greasy fatty foods. I try and stay away from as much fat as possible regardless of whether I'm cutting or bulking. You get enough fat in meat, some carbs, milk, etc that you don't need to be adding additional fat sources. For those occasional people that can get away with it, the best fat source would be a natural peanut butter or almond butter. The problem with these is that they are also very calorie dense foods.

My gf works out hard with me and eats well also. She's around 118 lbs and isn't trying to gain weight, and maybe lose a little bodyfat but not much to compromise her muscle gains. After her workouts she drinks a whey protein shake with one scoop of protein (around 30ish grams of protein) and one serving of plain oatmeal (27 grams of carbs) with a couple packs of sweet n low.

Also, it's typically best to eat around half hour after your workout. While you're working out and sleeping your bodies natural growth hormone levels are at their highest. During this period they also burn fat, which is why it's good to wait a little bit to eat, and also typically not good to eat during a workout as well due to carbs and insulin effecting the bodies natural growth hormone production.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:33 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
It is high fat, not carbs that will prevent weight loss. Ice cream from McDonald's does not have high fat ratio, especially for the money you spend on it. High in sugars, not fat.

Look at eating carb rich food, baked potatoes with butter, cheese, pasta, with Alfredo sauce, or bacon,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink