Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times

Advertisements

I've just started a new healthier lifestyle for myself and my DH One food I've always wanted to try is Tofu. I've been reading up a bit on it & I'd like to try it for dinner tonight

The one problem I have is a very fussy husband when it comes to new foods. Biggest thing he doesn't like is sweet (i.e. no BBQ sauce, glazed meats, etc.). A lot of the recipes I'm seeing for Tofu incorporate some sort of sweet accent.

I'm trying to find good low calorie, no sweet recipes that feature Tofu. If I can introduce it to him in a way he likes, I'll be able to experiment with it in other dishes. If he hates it in this first dish - it will be really hard to get him to try it again. Need to get over that first hurdle first. Would love 1st hand recommendations for some good Tofu dishes!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:09 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,328,861 times
I refer to tofu as 'Culinary Muzak', pretty tasteless stuff but I guess it is healthy.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I refer to tofu as 'Culinary Muzak', pretty tasteless stuff but I guess it is healthy.
Everything I'm reading is telling me that its is very healthy! Lots of protein without the animal fat. I'm looking to make it a good main dish staple if I can find the recipes that suit it best.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:23 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,095,674 times
Try dried tofu or bean curd sheets. You can use them to roll things up and it has a different texture than regular fresh tofu. What do make with my fresh tofu sheets? - Home Cooking - Chowhound

They also make rolled up too. I throw that in soups.

Fresh tofu will take on any sauce you create. Just make your favorite stir fry sauce and throw it in. I take it out of the container and drain all the water first. Sometimes I will even put a can of something on top of a plate so you can drain all the excess water out.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:45 AM

209 posts, read 417,879 times
I usually just cut it into cubes (after pressing out the water like George says above), brown it & do a stir-fry with whatever veggies I have in the fridge or freezer. You can stir in some soy, hoisin or chili sauce. Serve with rice, pasta or soba noodles. A great blog to check out for ideas is Susan Voisin's FatFree Vegan Kitchen | Sinlessly Delicious Recipes . She has some great recipies on there that are pretty easy, too.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:49 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,909,334 times
In moderation, tofu can be healthy. But like most everything else, if you overdo a certain food it can be unhealthy, which can be the case even with soy. I know some people that go out of their way to eat a large amount of soy each day, but there are studies that suggest that is a bad idea. And keep in mind that when reading the label on a packaged food you are probably going to come across "soy" in one form another, whether it's soybean oil (often referred to as vegetable oil) soy protein, soya flour, etc. So you are likely already eating a lot of soy in your diet each day without even realizing it, unless you avoid pre-packaged foods.

Here's a good unbiased link that describes the benefits vs. adverse affects of soy:

Soy and Tofu - Vegan Health Guide

Old 01-06-2012, 11:51 AM

61,813 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Tofu does not have any taste, but has chameleon-like qualities: it will absorb new flavors through spices and marinades.
There are two main kinds of tofu, silken or soft tofu, and firm or regular tofu. When cooking with firm tofu, you will usually want to drain and press the tofu first.
Here are some easy recipes:
Healthy Tofu Recipes and Cooking Tips | Eating Well
tofu Recipes at Epicurious.com
Tofu Recipe
Simple Tofu Cooking, Easy Vegan Tofu Recipes, How To Cook Tasty Tofu
Recipe Center: Search Results for null

Tofu - How to Cook With Tofu Video

Old 01-06-2012, 12:07 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,603,494 times
My recommendation, if you're not used to tofu and your husband's never even tried it, is to try it first at a restaurant. Chinese and Thai are my favorites and they'll have several styles available. If you like Chinese or Thai food already, order a favorite appetizer and entree, but also get a cup of hot and sour soup (it has some tofu plus other goodies) and an entree that either features or includes tofu (veggie stir fry or maybe a Thai green curry). That way you both can taste a couple different tofu preparations with flavors you already know and enjoy - and with other food available in case neither of you like the tofu at all. IMO, the key to a good first tofu experience is to have it with a good sauce.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:23 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice and the recipes. I don't really have to worry about having soy in any food I'm eating. I've never been very big on processed foods and make most everything we eat from scratch. I'm looking to reduce out red meat to at most once a week and need other protein sources to substitute. I'm not worried on whether I will like Tofu. I'm not a fussy eater. Sometimes wish I was!

Thanks again, I'm looking over the recipes & will let y'all know how it goes over this evening.

Oh - maybe a silly question but I'll ask it anyway. Has anyone ever substituted Tofu for chicken? DH's favorite dish is my Chicken Piccata with artichoke hearts. The sauce is a lemon/stock/wine reduction. Any thoughts on how well Tofu would stand up to this? I'm trying to think creative cooking!

Old 01-06-2012, 12:56 PM

180 posts, read 701,280 times
As for substituting tofu for chicken, you should be able to find a chicken-like protein substitute at a store like Whole Foods that will give a similar look. You can also try something like seitan as well, which holds up well to sauces, and is especially good with veggies over rice. (Curry seitan! Yum-my! ) Another type of tofu I like is a five-spice pressed tofu available at Asian groceries--it's not spicy at all really, but does have some flavor; a little sweetness, but not off-putting. My fave Chinese restaurant does a dish using this tofu with chives and shredded carrots over rice with soy sauce.

If using tofu in your main dish the firm or extra-firm usually stands up best, and like elnina said, drain and press the tofu.

I love tofu so much that I will just eat it raw...but I was raised on soymilk, so I took to the taste of soy from very early in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink