Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:53 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times

Advertisements

Haha, as a smarmy teenager, I called it the "butt crack" of the pound cake. But I'm sure there's a better name for it.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:00 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Nope, not a generational thing at all. Just the other day rapper Drake dropped a new track called "Pound Cake," featuring Jay-Z.

Once heard, who will ever be able to forget these immortal words:

"Cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake.
500 million, I got a pound cake"

It's definitely NSFW, but if you care to listen: Drake - Pound Cake (Ft Jay-Z) / Paris Morton Music 2 Download | HowFlyHipHop

Old 09-18-2013, 02:26 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
nobody dosen't like sara lee.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:33 PM

25 posts, read 37,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Pound cake is a very long ways from being cheap to make. It's one of the most expensive cakes to make.

The younger generation has grown up with so much salt and fat and sugar in their food that they think that is what food should taste like. Crikey, the younger kids even put salt on candy and into milk shakes.

So, OP, your taste buds are damaged.

Pound cake contains an entire pound of real butter. It is not "dry". If you can't eat cake unless it is slathered in more fat and more sugar, that's on you, not the pound cake.

Yes, I like pound cake, but it is usually served with fresh fruit at my house. We don't sprinkle our fresh fruit with sugar and salt, though, so perhaps that wouldn't work for the younger generation, either.
There is like 28% more snottiness than necessary in this post given this is a thread is about pound cake, but I take your disagreement. My taste buds are damaged. LOL, there it is, folks.

Two things: 1) pound cake is not "one of the most expensive cakes to make". It's one of the most inexpensive cakes to make. It's like sugar, eggs, flour, butter, and milk, right? 2) I can enjoy a cake that isn't super sweet -- more than a "too sweet" cake, actually -- but pound cake is dry (in part on purpose since it's supposed to be "dense", but to my unsophisticated pallet, it's thick and dry) and it doesn't really have much of an actual taste. That's why I say it might as well be cornbread. Just sit it next to some chicken, greens, and mashed potatoes and have at it.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:46 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godavs21 View Post
So I have three questions:

1) Do you like pound cake? (and don't say you do just to be saying it)
2) Do you think there's a generational divide with people who like pound cake?
3) If so, why?
1) YES!
2) No.
3) I think that lots of people that have tried "Pound Cake" have eaten grocery store pound cake that isn't very good. A true pound cake with the pound each of ingredients is very good.

A good pound cake is even better when toasted and buttered. Transforms into the sublime.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:50 PM

317 posts, read 474,848 times
Quote:
1) Do you like pound cake? (and don't say you do just to be saying it)
2) Do you think there's a generational divide with people who like pound cake?
3) If so, why?
I do like pound cake. It has a simple, homespun taste that I find very appealing. I also like shortbread and yellow cake. It's pretty versatile. Pound cake can be served plain, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or my favorite, with lots of strawberries and whipped cream (the real stuff, not Cool Whip) on top. I have even tried it warmed, buttered, and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. It's great paired with a cup of stout tea.

I'm 41 so I'm right in the middle agewise, but like other posters here I have noticed that companies are putting increasing amounts of both sugar and salt into many processed foods and drinks. I often feel parched and oversalted after consuming one of those types of things. Maybe people who are used to these more powerful tastes find things like pound cake bland in comparison.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The younger generation has grown up with so much salt and fat and sugar in their food that they think that is what food should taste like. Crikey, the younger kids even put salt on candy and into milk shakes.

So, OP, your taste buds are damaged.
^^^ THIS!!
American pastry is way too sweet to be enjoyable. The sugar amount in the dough and ADDITIONAL sugary icing on the top makes it inedible for me. After I have a small piece on social gatherings, I have the urge to eat something savory to get rid of the nauseating sweet taste that lingers on my tongue.
The amount of added sugar that Americans eat has only kept growing. And it's like a drug, if you're used to eating it, then it takes more and more for things to taste sweet. It's because everything's sweetened here (generally with HFCS), even stuff that shouldn't be, like cereal and canned tomatoes and any other processed food you can think of. It's all drenched in corn syrup. Plus there's just a cultural expectation that dessert has to be extremely sweet, or isn't a dessert...
When I cook/bake something using American recipe, I use half (or less) of recommended fat/sugar and salt to get the food to taste right and palatable.

Overly sweet pastry has nothing to do with the quality or "richness".
European, Latin American and Asian desserts are less sweet and fatty, but still full of flavors and taste.

Back on topic: I like pound cake, the density and the less sweet taste. A younger generation raised on sugary food, might not appreciate products that are not drenched in sugar...

Last edited by elnina; 09-18-2013 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 02:56 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Quote:
but pound cake is dry (in part on purpose since it's supposed to be "dense", but to my unsophisticated pallet, it's thick and dry) and it doesn't really have much of an actual taste. That's why I say it might as well be cornbread. Just sit it next to some chicken, greens, and mashed potatoes and have at it.
Good pound cake is NOT supposed to be dry. It's heavy/dense, yes, but should be very moist. And if it has a good butter flavor, it has LOTS of taste!

Butter has to be right up on the list with bacon when it comes to delicious rich flavors. I actually value butter over bacon, though bacon has gotten such a huge vocal fan base in recent years. I'm like "bring on the butter baby!"

Old 09-18-2013, 02:57 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
Quote:
There is like 28% more snottiness than necessary in this post given this is a thread is about pound cake, but I take your disagreement. My taste buds are damaged. LOL, there it is, folks.

Two things: 1) pound cake is not "one of the most expensive cakes to make". It's one of the most inexpensive cakes to make. It's like sugar, eggs, flour, butter, and milk, right? 2) I can enjoy a cake that isn't super sweet -- more than a "too sweet" cake, actually -- but pound cake is dry (in part on purpose since it's supposed to be "dense", but to my unsophisticated pallet, it's thick and dry) and it doesn't really have much of an actual taste. That's why I say it might as well be cornbread. Just sit it next to some chicken, greens, and mashed potatoes and have at it.
How can a cake that uses more of the same ingredients as a plain, yellow cake be "one of the most inexpensive cakes to make"? 4 sticks of butter costs less than 1 stick? 7 large eggs cost less than 3 large eggs?

Traditional Pound Cake
1 pound butter (4 sticks)
1 pound sugar (about 2 cups)
1 pound eggs (about 8 medium of 7 large)
1 pound all-purpose flour (about 3 ¼ cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Traditional Yellow Cake
2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup milk

Old 09-18-2013, 03:05 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Thanks for posting the recipe, Ditsy. I said earlier that my mom's recipe included a dozen eggs but it must only be eight. Twelve would be too eggy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink