Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:02 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times

Advertisements

Best hot sauce in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
First r should be silent. See-rah-cha with the ch having a soft sound like a j or the second g in garage. Named after and pronounced the same way as the town Si Racha.

The first 2 pronunciations on this link are good:

Sriracha pronunciation: How to pronounce Sriracha in Thai, English

What is the Thai pronunciation for Sriracha?
“See-rah-jah.” [click for a pronunciation lesson] The first “r” is not pronounced and the word is said as three distinct syllables.

The Original Sriracha - Bon Appétit
... and "Eugene Onegin" should be pronounced "Yev-Gain-ee Ohn-YAY-ghin.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:42 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
Quote:
Nope. That explanation 'tis but a popular but mistaken internet meme.

Quote:
Sriracha
Pronounced: shree-ra-cha (According to the official Sriracha website)
Food Pronunciation: How To Pronounce 10 Popular Foods
What is "the official Sriracha website?" How can a type of condiment have an official website? What is ketchup's official website?

I assume they mean Huy Fong's website (Sriracha). There is no pronunciation listed on that site and Huy Fong's founder is a Chinese-Vietnamese immigrant to the United States. Probably not a good source for Thai pronunciation anyway, nor is the Huffington Post. I can post 10 links to articles from the New York Times, LA Times, etc. that tell you it's supposed to be pronounced SIR-rah-cha but that doesn't mean they're correct.

The pronunciation in the Bon Appetite link I posted is from Thai Theparos Food Products, an actual Thai company and maker of the first sriracha (sriraja panich). The two audio links I posted were from Thailand natives. I've had this conversation with the owners of a Thai restaurant (who are from there, only speak broken English, and make their own house version) I go to frequently and they gave me the same pronunciation.

Here's one from Leela Punyaratabandhu, a Thai food blogger/Thai cookbook author from Bangkok:

Quote:
As an aside, to clear up the issue once and for all,the correct pronunciation of Sriracha, as recognized by literate native speakers of the Thai language, is see-rah-chah 2
Quote:
2 Ignore the first R; it’s merely an unvocalized remnant of the original Sanskrit. All three syllables are open (CV) with clear breaks between them and must be pronounced in such a way that indicates these breaks (in other words, not SIR-otch-ah).
Homemade Sriracha - How to Make Thai Sriracha

Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
... and "Eugene Onegin" should be pronounced "Yev-Gain-ee Ohn-YAY-ghin.
Indeed.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:47 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
The latest, looks like there may be a possible shortage, as the judge orders a partial shutdown of the Huy Fong Factory:

Judge orders Sriracha hot sauce plant partly closed over odors - latimes.com

Old 11-27-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
The latest, looks like there may be a possible shortage, as the judge orders a partial shutdown of the Huy Fong Factory:

Judge orders Sriracha hot sauce plant partly closed over odors - latimes.com
You can always try other brands like Lee Kum Kim, Shark brand, Thai Theparos, etc. You might even like them better. The Lee Kum Kim version is really good on meatloaf. The anchovies give it a nice flavor and it has more of a brown sugar type of sweetness to it. Shark brand is my favorite, though I do like the Huy Fong version for some things.

Or better yet, you can make your own. I doubt that shutdown will have much of an effect on being able to find it though. They sell it everywhere.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:46 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
You can always try other brands like Lee Kum Kim, Shark brand, Thai Theparos, etc. You might even like them better. The Lee Kum Kim version is really good on meatloaf. The anchovies give it a nice flavor and it has more of a brown sugar type of sweetness to it. Shark brand is my favorite, though I do like the Huy Fong version for some things.

Or better yet, you can make your own. I doubt that shutdown will have much of an effect on being able to find it though. They sell it everywhere.
I've been trying to find the shark brand, but been unsuccessful. Is there another name on the bottle or something distinctive that I am missing?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've been trying to find the shark brand, but been unsuccessful. Is there another name on the bottle or something distinctive that I am missing?
Bottle looks like this:

Have you tried an Asian market? That's where I get mine. The internet is always an option as well. Probably more expensive online though, unless you buy a case of it.

Sriraja Panich is similar to Shark brand, you might want to try that one too. They're both not as thick or sweet as the Huy Fong version.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:23 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:

Lee Kum Kim is the one I have and it's usually what I buy. They sell it at Krogers here.
I think it's a little less sweet and has more of a bite than Huy Fong, maybe because of the anchovies.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:42 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Why not look into Amazon?

Thai Sriracha Sauce - Shark Brand 7oz.: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

(It does seem a bit pricey. I wonder if it's good or not.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink