Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:09 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Dogs
Cats
Rodents
Reptiles
Predatory birds
Wild animals like lions, tigers, moose, wolves, raccoons, bears, deer, skunks, opossums, etc.
My list too - but I'd be willing to try moose, I've eaten antlered critters and thus far they've been quite tasty.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:21 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,983 times
Veal, lamb, lobster (because it's boiled alive)...and anything else cooked in the same way, domesticated animals, game animals (tried to like venison, but I can't), giant spiders, snakes, rodents, vultures, and many of the same animals that others have mentioned. I wish I could get to the point where I didn't eat meat at all. I'm going to keep trying.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:27 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,124 times
I won't eat anything I think of as a pet. I also refuse to eat baby animals, so veal and lamb are out. I don't think it's fair to kill them before they've even had a chance to live. I won't eat insects because the thought makes me cringe. So to sum it up, I guess I mainly eat the common meats of our country.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
cats and dogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man Walking View Post
Raccoons, possums, skunks, groundhogs for mammals.

Carp, suckers, dogfish, gar for fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Platypus and naked mole rats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Pork (its just super unhealthy)
Bottom dwelling fish like Catfish
Goat
Squirrel
Frog
Dove
Opposum. Heard of people eating opossum pie. No way.

Basically, if the redneck duck hunting family on Duck Dynasty likes to kill it and eat it, I don't want to eat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Primates, most sea mammals, and any animal that is endangered or threatened with extinction. I generally avoid reptiles as well, but that's mostly because of the texture, flavor, and price.
yeah, these are definitely on my do-not-eat list as well!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:29 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times
There are maybe 3 million kinds of animals. I'll eat about .000001% of them.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:19 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
There are not many sources of protein I won't eat, having been through several military survival schools. My partner and I were the only two students that ever gained weight in SERE school. We dined on porcupine and water lily roots. We roasted both in a Dakota hole fire. Mmmm good. The instructors were convinced we had somehow snuck out and gone to town. It was a really long way to town Could have taken a big snapping turtle, but we didn't need it.

I have eaten python, crocodile, monkey, prawns, many kinds of fish and cat. I would no longer eat monkey; not because of any compunction, but because of the risk of Ebola or similar disease.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:20 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I do not have such a list. I would be hesitant to try any cat... or uneasy about it. Same with bush meat primate. I can't think of anything else really.

Surprised at some of the answers, squirrel, dove, rabbit, etc are all great. They just need to be prepped/cooked right.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:23 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times
All you who say you'd eat just about any animal, how about slugs, wolf eels, centipedes, caterpillars, ants, scorpions, and earwigs?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:50 PM

241 posts, read 316,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There are not many sources of protein I won't eat, having been through several military survival schools. My partner and I were the only two students that ever gained weight in SERE school. We dined on porcupine and water lily roots. We roasted both in a Dakota hole fire. Mmmm good. The instructors were convinced we had somehow snuck out and gone to town. It was a really long way to town Could have taken a big snapping turtle, but we didn't need it.

I have eaten python, crocodile, monkey, prawns, many kinds of fish and cat. I would no longer eat monkey; not because of any compunction, but because of the risk of Ebola or similar disease.
It must be a military thing because I'd eat just about anything as well.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:52 PM

241 posts, read 316,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
All you who say you'd eat just about any animal, how about slugs, wolf eels, centipedes, caterpillars, ants, scorpions, and earwigs?
Well I normally wouldn't eat insects but hey if they are cooked right and I'm in a place where it is a dish I might try them. I've had fried mealworms and they weren't so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink