Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:40 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm starting this thread because I'm hoping to get a deep freezer soon.

What are some things that you freeze that many people don't think about freezing? What's the optimal way to freeze those items? Any drawbacks to freezing the food? (For example, I tend not to make burgers out of ground beef that has been frozen and defrosted.) When you freeze veggies and fruit on your own (not purchased frozen), how do you do it?

Some things I know people freeze but seem kind of odd to me are butter, lunch meat, guacamole (mentioned in a Costco thread)

Thanks!
I freeze the castoff shells of shrimp for seafood stock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 02:47 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm starting this thread because I'm hoping to get a deep freezer soon.

What are some things that you freeze that many people don't think about freezing? What's the optimal way to freeze those items? Any drawbacks to freezing the food? (For example, I tend not to make burgers out of ground beef that has been frozen and defrosted.) When you freeze veggies and fruit on your own (not purchased frozen), how do you do it?

Some things I know people freeze but seem kind of odd to me are butter, lunch meat, guacamole (mentioned in a Costco thread)

Thanks!
Butter keeps very well in the freezer, When It's on sale I'll buy 2 lbs. and freeze. You can freeze cheese too. The bagged shredded kind and the bricks of cheese. My neighbor always does this and it tastes fine after defrosted. She also told me you can freeze fresh corn on the cob. Just cut off both ends and put in a freezer bag, husks and all. I have never frozen fresh fruit. I freeze chocolate bars too. If you don't like making burgers out of a 2 pound chop meat that's been frozen then thawed out, why not make burger patty's from the fresh meat, then individually portion them out into sandwich size zip-loc bags? What is your aversion to thawing out chop meat them making something from it?? I do it all the time but never leave meat in the freezer more than 1 month. We freeze soups, homemade sauce for pasta.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:50 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,366 times
I freeze cooked rice in single servings. It's fine defrosted with soup or a sauce-heavy dis.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:54 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
I freeze Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls. The chocolate won't peel off when you eat them and they are firmer but never frozen all the way through.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:07 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Several misc tips:

- Be sure to label all packages clearly with the contents and date.

- If you have a huge stash, consider a "map" and an Excel (or other) spread sheet so that stuff is rotated out and used before it gets freezer burn.

- Make it a habit to check that the freezer is working on a regular basis. That is, don't just stick it somewhere and only open it once a month.

- Have a Plan B and Plan C in the case of long-term power outage. That might be a back-up generator or meat locker or other place to move the meat. Some people claim they will hold a huge grill out or can it.

- Evaluate whether you really need a deep freezer and buy the smaller one that you need. They can get expensive over time. That said, meat is rapidly rising and putting away a 1/4 steer may pay for itself several times. Check the math.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:36 PM

726 posts, read 1,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I freeze the castoff shells of shrimp for seafood stock
I've done this. The wild shrimp, much more than the delicately thin shelled farmed shrimp, have many minerals in their shells which we get in the stock. I also sometimes "suck/gnaw" on the shrimp shells -- one reason to eat seafood at home.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:35 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times
Another tip for freezing in general, things come out best if they were frozen quickly. Don't make the packages too thick, don't use big containers. After they are quickly frozen you can put them in bigger packages/containers. When it freezes fast it comes out more like it was originally (though tomatoes will still come out mushy). If you put the stuff to be frozen on the floor of the freezer, it freezes faster. If you put it on top of other frozen foods, or buried in other frozen foods, it doesn't work as well. It could lower the quality of the foods around it if they thaw too, then re-freeze.

Keeping the air out of things, +1. This applies more to solid foods. Freezing something with solid food surrounded by a liquid is also a great way. I freeze leftover turkey in gravy and it comes out a lot better with the turkey not being exposed to air (which would dry it).

Old 05-28-2014, 08:29 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
This is all really phenomenal advice - thanks to everyone!

Old 05-28-2014, 09:21 PM

161 posts, read 341,917 times
You can also freeze (slices or whole), cakes, pies, cookies (baked or the dough) and candy. We keep our big bags of cereal in the freezer. We keep things like Jiffy Mix in the freezer. Shredded coconut, raisins, nuts.
Tortilla shells, both corn and flour. Juices off of roasts for soup. Quick breads as well as regular breads, and crackers.
Hope this helps!

Old 05-28-2014, 09:31 PM

103 posts, read 129,083 times
Awesome thread!

I freeze fruit for my daily smoothies for the month:
Buy fresh fruit in bulk on the first of each month, prep them (slice, dice), and freeze in thirty ziplock bags according to my smoothie flavors and label each bag.

I love the ease and speed of just throwing the fruits in my blender and adding fresh veggies-- it really saves me time in the mornings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink