Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:03 AM

555 posts, read 804,821 times

Advertisements

One of the pitfalls of reading this thread is that I'm now suddenly very, very hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 04:19 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Wow, that's sounds fabulous! I never thought of using ginger biscuits. We can get our English ones at a store here called World Market. I've give it a try!

Have you ever made chocolate covered apples? I think they'd be easy to do and they are so yummy! I can't wait to make caramel chocolate like these http://www.mrsprindables.
com/
Def give it a try - they are sooo good!

Those apples look delicious! I make toffee apples sometimes for Guy Fawkes Night - I miss celebrating that so I make the toffee apples to remind me of bonfires and fireworks

Old 09-26-2014, 08:43 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
What you should be asking is what we prefer to receive as food gifts!!!

BANANA BREAD! (with nuts, please) Direct message me and I'll give you my address. Hint: my birthday's coming up soon!!

Old 09-26-2014, 08:49 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,183,403 times
The stuff everyone loves....
All homemade, of course-
Tried & true, these are my go to's :

Magic cookie bars (w/ variations)
Cheesecake
Fudge
Pumpkin Pies
Truffles
Chocolate chip cookies
Brownies (w/ variations)
Banana Pineapple Bread
ABC bread
Carrot Cake

Btw last year at the holidays I received homemade
Chocolate covered pretzels, w/ white chocolate pretzels as well...
Omg I'm doing that this year

Old 09-26-2014, 08:51 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Def give it a try - they are sooo good!

Those apples look delicious! I make toffee apples sometimes for Guy Fawkes Night - I miss celebrating that so I make the toffee apples to remind me of bonfires and fireworks
What? your English? Or you must have lived there? i used to make treacle toffee and parkin cake Traditional Oatmeal Parkin - English - Recipes - from Delia Online

But, not much call for it in America

Old 09-26-2014, 09:01 AM

4,190 posts, read 3,404,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
No....just butter, sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla, and Karo syrup. Not sure what the purpose of the Karo is, as it's just a teaspoon, IIRC...but Nanny put it in hers so I do too!

They're not like sugar cookies, though...more fluffy and "cakey" than sugar cookies. Also soft, not crisp.

America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country (don't remember which) did some "Melting Moments" this season.

Thanks!

Another great food gift, though not a dessert per se, is your favorite version of sugared or spiced nuts in a nice presentation jar. People love these.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:15 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,157,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Chocolate truffles. People usually don't realise how simple they are to make so I get extra points for my supposed effort.
Glad you mentioned truffles--made them once years ago--yes, easy to make!

Old 09-26-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Any type of German Torte ,Stollen,fruit cakes such as Bavarian plum or German apple cakes.
Was thinking along these lines. Got my German cookbook out but need to decide how much work I want to put into it! Maybe a nice Sachertorte. Too bad it's late in the season for fresh fruits or I'd make a fruit torte.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
I am known for my cookies. In fact, I give them the credit for my being the only person in my entire division to survive the market crash and recession of 2008-9 without being laid off (I was the only one out of 32 employees who wasn't let go). I also give them credit for getting me the job that got me to leave that firm...in my interview when the HR lady asked me to tell her something unique about myself that would make me a valuable employee, I said: "I make really good cookies" and she said "That is a perfect answer! I love that!" and I got a call the very next day with my offer. Within a week of working there, she was hovering by my desk asking me when I'd bring cookies in. Now that I am with a new firm, I still get requests from my old firm for me to stop by with cookies.

The most popular cookies I made were the Nutella-filled Chocolate Chip and the birthday cake flavor ones.
Nutella filled choc chip cookies? Now they sound good! Are you willing to share the recipe?

Old 09-26-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50states View Post
I used to give out Apple Cream Pies which were a lot of work and took a fair amount of time to make.

People loved them.

Well, most people did but a fair number of people never bothered to say ' thanks ' or even return the glass pie plate.

One girl never bothered saying a thing except a few months later ' hey...can you make me another pie? I have friends coming over. '

ah...no, dingbat, I can not make you another pie. Of course, didn't say that but I sure thought it.

Shortly after that experience I stopped making them as gifts. Family only although I have not done so in awhile as I lost the recipe.
Apple Cream Pie sounds delish--and something most people would enjoy. It's sad that many folks fail to say 'thank you' or return pie plates--their mothers never taught them.....
The couple I want to make something for I know will thank me and be extremely appreciative--that's why I want to make something especially good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink