Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:38 PM

32,925 posts, read 36,329,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
A bit offf topic but I had to tell someone: a hummingbird flew into my kitchen in the middle of the night and flew directly into a loose ceiling panel - while I was trying to shoo it gently back out of the door, a neighbor rang my doorbell at the same time. When I came back to the kitchen to check on the bird, it was gone and I assumed it had flown out the open door on its own until....my husband pointed out the bird shadow on the ceiling when he turned on the light. The poor thing was still stuck up in the ceiling and had expired up there! I felt terrible - like a bird killer. I had to climb up there and get the poor thing out, after major screaming when the bird thudded onto the counter, I picked it up with a baggy over my hand and threw it away, so I DO NOT LIKE TOUCHING DEAD THINGS IN MY KITCHEN.
Oh, I wouldn't like that at all. Every spring an army of ants invites themselves into my kitchen and hang out around my sink. I've put granules outside, sprayed the foundation, caulked gaps and put traps under the sink. They just don't get it. Every day for a month or so I have to kill dozens of ants and wipe up their little bodies. It gets to me after a while.

Many years ago when I started cooking, I didn't like sticking my hand into a chicken. There's nothing terribly surprising in there, but you can't see see anything before you touch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:51 PM

19,407 posts, read 15,227,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you ever felt up a flounder???

salmon wont seem so bad

flounder has this milky slimy, almost gooey substance on its scales,,,and when you go to clean it...watch out!!! I use to catch them as a kid in a cove in front of the house
laying flat like they do ,,must reconfigure some innards, cause,,,they squirt all over you!
I like to wear gloves when I take the head off a flounder and pull its guts out ...

just trying to warm you,,,in case you should buy a flounder
See, it's times like this when I wonder if it's really worth the effort.

Quote:
A bit offf topic but I had to tell someone: a hummingbird flew into my kitchen in the middle of the night and flew directly into a loose ceiling panel - while I was trying to shoo it gently back out of the door, a neighbor rang my doorbell at the same time. When I came back to the kitchen to check on the bird, it was gone and I assumed it had flown out the open door on its own until....my husband pointed out the bird shadow on the ceiling when he turned on the light. The poor thing was still stuck up in the ceiling and had expired up there! I felt terrible - like a bird killer. I had to climb up there and get the poor thing out, after major screaming when the bird thudded onto the counter, I picked it up with a baggy over my hand and threw it away, so I DO NOT LIKE TOUCHING DEAD THINGS IN MY KITCHEN.
Aw. But, yeah, I guess I won't be complaining about chopping cilantro anymore...

Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
See, it's times like this when I wonder if it's really worth the effort.

Aw. But, yeah, I guess I won't be complaining about chopping cilantro anymore...
lol...I did edit my original post,,,, I know some folks are a bit squeamish.

you gotta have a sense of humor too

I worked in a slaughterhouse , my sense of squeamishness is a bit different
but, once I see a needle coming at me... that's my freak.. a nurse taking blood once ..said, "don't tell me you are afraid of a little needle" I said ,,,I will scream like a girl in a horror movie ... if you aren't careful..

Old 04-21-2015, 07:31 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
I've been mechanic most of my life wiring on machinery of all sorts ,sewer pumps to air craft carriers , and you have to get into nasty stuff all the time , there is nothing in the kitchen I am afraid to handle .
Having worked on boats several years getting wet is no big deal, the body is 90% water any way.
And every thing dries up eventually .
I butcher and dress my own live stock, chicken, fish, and game . it's really no big deal .
People have been doing it for centuries .
Dad taught me how to clean fish when I was 7 or 8 years old.
The trick to sticky or slimy stuff ,if it's convenient ,is to wet your hands first and do your work under litely running water .
With stickers on fruit it's easy, take knife and slide it under the sticker and attach the sticker to the trash bag. job done.
With coffee grounds, I pick up the basket and tip it in the trash, filter an all falls together.
Rinse the basket and re place.
For some of you I might recommend those cheap disposable gloves they use in restaurant food service , often times you only need one had being gloved to prevent inadvertent contamination .
Chicken should be rinsed often any way before cooking, as well as washing of the counter/cutting board it was processed on.
If you do the cleaning ASAP ,it's more through and nothing gets a chance to harden or sticky, making the job all the worse.
I have gone to using paper plates for several reasons .
Paper plates absorb grease and oil ,I obviously don't need in me.
they require no washing , saves water and soap.
They don't break or chip no sharp edges after falling.
they are perfectly sterile .
When using a steak knife it does not dull the edge so your not having to work that hard cutting it to begin with .
I am fairly tall with back issues, so I have a hard time doing the doing dishes .
Good for camping trips and target practice, and when done, they are easily consumed in the camp fire.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:26 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:

we had a bat in the house once,,,damn thing was quite swift im chasing it around the house with a tennis racket,,,and finally smashed it a good one in the kitchen.... had the doors and windows open,,,but it wouldn't fly out

i was trying to "trap" it against the ceiling them put it in a towel and gently put it outside to fly away..
well that didn't work,,,it noticed that if it came for my head,,i would back away
so his last fly around the kitchen,,,he starts for my head and now starts making these gawd awful noises,,,,so i panic'd and swung at him,,,smashed him into the wall and he slid down,,,,deader than a rock

i felt bad for that bat,,,,,but that bat wasn't as unfortunate as the cat in the snowblower...i'll spare you the details

Old 04-21-2015, 03:38 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
The honey jar. I open the honey jar, pour out some honey, replace the lid, and within five minutes I'm sticky head-to-toe. I mean, I have honey on my pants, in my hair, on my shirt, on my arms, and most-certainly on my hands. I even wash the jar to make sure it's not sticky.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:49 AM

32,925 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The honey jar. I open the honey jar, pour out some honey, replace the lid, and within five minutes I'm sticky head-to-toe. I mean, I have honey on my pants, in my hair, on my shirt, on my arms, and most-certainly on my hands. I even wash the jar to make sure it's not sticky.
Don't ever buy flypaper.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:33 AM

5 posts, read 4,376 times
I hate to touch a chicken and other meat because it's so slippy))

Old 04-22-2015, 11:27 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,637,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
we had a bat in the house once,,,damn thing was quite swift im chasing it around the house with a tennis racket,,,and finally smashed it a good one in the kitchen.... had the doors and windows open,,,but it wouldn't fly out

i was trying to "trap" it against the ceiling them put it in a towel and gently put it outside to fly away..
well that didn't work,,,it noticed that if it came for my head,,i would back away
so his last fly around the kitchen,,,he starts for my head and now starts making these gawd awful noises,,,,so i panic'd and swung at him,,,smashed him into the wall and he slid down,,,,deader than a rock

i felt bad for that bat,,,,,but that bat wasn't as unfortunate as the cat in the snowblower...i'll spare you the details
I probably would have broken everything in my kitchen swinging at that bat (screaming the whole time of course). I've chased a crow out of my bedroom before. I never realized that crows were so mean because it kept dive bombing me and seemed to be going for my face. Even the dog (a sturdy shepherd) abandoned me and I was left to do battle with the crow on my own. It pooped on my pillow before finally flying out the window.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:41 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Don't ever buy flypaper.
That cracked me up! But, you're right. I used it over the garbage pail one time and accidentally bumped my head into it. ohgoodgrief.. I had gooey fly paper goop stuck in my hair and my hands, and that stuff doesn't wash off. It was horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink