Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 04:43 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

I love potato salad and macaroni salad. Those last for more than a couple of days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 12:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrock2610 View Post
salads will help you to lose weight effectively!
Actually this isn't always true: it depends on what kind of salad and the dressing. If you are talking about plain green salad with cukes, tomatoes, onions etc and just lemon juice and a little olive oil, yes, but if you are talking pasta salads, salads with a lot of blue cheese dressing, sweet and sour dressings, too much salad, and even fruit salad, depending on the fruit. For people that want to live on green salad only and not use any fattening dressings or dressings with a lot of sugar salad is great for weight control, but most of us, even if we love green salad can only eat so much. Of and remember that green salad should be made with no croutons, little or no cheese, watch the olives, watch anything that will add a crunch, it could be a carb that is also filled with calories. What I am saying simple is: like anything salads are not always good if you are watching your weight.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I love potato salad and macaroni salad. Those last for more than a couple of days
Pasta salads and cold slaw are 2 that can be kept for more than a day or so. For some reason I get the impression the OP is thinking: greens. I don't know why?.
I do wonder if she is taking what is being said to heart as she hasn't been back since she posted several days ago.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:22 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
It depends on what you put in your salad. If it's leafy greens like lettuce and spinach, especially if we're talking about delicate lettuce like Bibb Lettuce, forget it. It'll last for 2 days if you're lucky, then it'll turn yucky. The vinegar in the salad dressing 'cooks' the leafy greens, you see.

If it's beans or chick peas salad, it'll last for 1 week. In fact, I find the longer it marinades in the dressing, the tastier it is.

The only leafy green that'll last long (in my experience) is the Tuscan Kale, due to it thick and textured leaf.

Another way of preparing ahead of time is to bag your salad leafs by day with a small zip lock bag, and store the dressing separately in a small container. So you'll have 5 small salad bags for each work day. In the morning before you go for work, just grab the salad bag for that day and the dressing, and mix it up before you eat.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:31 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
I always make mine from scratch - I find that salad goes a bit funny after a few hours, especially if it has dressing on it, I don't like it when it goes soggy!

Some salads are great though, I love a classic and simple Caesar salad

Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
I can't eat a soggy salad, so every salad I make has to be freshly made.
I can see chopping the ingredients up & keeping them seperate until you toss it together....
But once the dressing is on it's got to be eaten right away.

I just made a huge salad-- lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, boiled eggs,
cheese cubes & low fat cucumber ranch dressing....

Not too shabby

Old 06-08-2015, 02:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrock2610 View Post
salads will help you to lose weight effectively!
My salads won't help you lose weight.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:27 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Does anyone here prepare for the entire week's salad on Sunday and fill it up in their lunch boxes? I have started to love salads, but takes lot of time for preparing. I am somewhat short of time during weekdays, so was wondering if it's possible to prepare them on weekends and would they remain fresh for the entire week?

I am vegetarian, so my salads would mostly be veggies and beans.
Not me, I tend to make my salads in the moments before I eat them. A while back, many months, perhaps even last year, I wrote a post about take in salads in a baggie, why bendable plastic bowls were a good thing for such.

For me, to prepare a salad usually takes about 10, 15 minutes at the top. So as things go, it's probably my quickest, nourishing meal. Tonight's salad was Romaine, feta, Parmessian, anchovies, avocado, capers, tomatoes, croutons, sunflower seeds, garlic, chipped onion, and lemon pepper (I don't use dressing).

Now, could it stay "fresh" for the entire week? That rather depends on how one defines "fresh". For me, even a day salad (Romaine or Red Leaf) would be soggy in the baggy in only a few hours, but that's still a good salad to me. I like the combination of those tastes.

It works for me........but then again, I'm one of those people who will consume the ENTIRE head of lettuce, even the base. So I guess it just depends on the person.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:33 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Does anyone here prepare for the entire week's salad on Sunday and fill it up in their lunch boxes? I have started to love salads, but takes lot of time for preparing. I am somewhat short of time during weekdays, so was wondering if it's possible to prepare them on weekends and would they remain fresh for the entire week?

I am vegetarian, so my salads would mostly be veggies and beans.
I don't think that would be possible.

I just buy several types of bagged salad and mix it up.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:01 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
You could always try the salad-in-a-jar technique. I usually take a fairly large Rubbermaid container and put the tomatoes, olive, and beans in the bottom, then pour the dressing on them. Cucumbers and hard boiled egg are sliced and put in a small baggie, then lettuce is cut up and put in another baggie with a paper towel to keep the moisture balanced. At lunchtime, just dump the baggies into the container, toss everything, and you're good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink