Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 12:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

I love pizza. Pizza and sushi are my favorite foods. Okay, and some Thai dishes. And ice cream sandwiches. (Shut up.)

The thing with pizza, though, is that it's so fatty and carby and I feel so guilty about it. But I can't help it -- I love pizza. So I found a healthier way to get my pizza fix, and I do this at least once per week. Okay, at least twice per week. (Shut up.)

And it's also less expensive.

And -- also ALSO! -- you make however much/many you want for that meal, which means that there's no leftover pizza sitting in your fridge that you SAY you're keeping for tomorrow but it never lasts beyond bedtime because, hey!, it's already made and RIGHT THERE!, calling your name.

Okay. I'm babbling. This is what I do/use/whatever:

* Tortilla(s) -- I found that Old El Paso flour, medium size, are the ones with the best consistency; not floppy and not prone to burn. I did research to discover this, so you can trust me.

* Sauce -- In a Tupperware, I mix a tin of plain tomato sauce (whatever brand is cheapest), a tin of tomato paste, and a tablespoon or so (I don't measure) of balsamic vinegar. Stir it all together and use it every time (!!) you make pizza, until it's all used up. Repeat.

* Cheese -- I use Kraft brand "Italiano" shredded cheese, which is a mix of Romano, Mozzarella, Provolone, Emmental. I buy the "light" one, which has 28% less fat. Most pizza places just use Mozzarella, which is so bland. This Italiano stuff is not, especially because of the Provolone. So good! And you don't have to use a lot -- a little goes a long way because it's so flavorful and melts beautifully.

* Toppings -- Do what you want, but I cut up anchovies and place the pieces so that every bite has anchovy goodness. I know, I know, YOU hate anchovies. Put whatever you want on your pizza, though. I won't judge you.

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Put tin foil on a baking sheet. Put your tortilla pizzas on the foil. Bake until the cheese is bubbling. Remove from oven. Eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 12:34 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Mexican Pizza like this has been around for years, Taco Bell still sells it I think, some refer to this as a Tostada in some regions.
We do not partake because we like traditional Pizza and traditional Tacos.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Mexican Pizza like this has been around for years, Taco Bell still sells it I think, some refer to this as a Tostada in some regions.
We do not partake because we like traditional Pizza and traditional Tacos.
But the only thing Mexican about mine is that it's on a tortilla, instead of on pizza dough.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,555 times
I recently made cauliflower crust and it turned out amazingly well.

Might check into it if you want to take it a step further and delete the bread totally.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:56 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,414,345 times
I've done this as well, and it works, but I use the La Tortilla brand of low-carb/high-fiber tortillas. My least favorite part of a pizza is the crust, especially if it's thick, so I always order thin-crust. Then it's not as bad for my blood sugar.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:05 PM

2,026 posts, read 333,959 times
Sounds really good. Will share with my diabetic mother. Sounds healthier too

Old 06-21-2015, 01:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Sorry, but that sounds pretty awful.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:17 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,484,208 times
We make our own pizzas. We do use regular dough, but keep it quite thin and crusty. Our tomato sauce is from our own garden, is thick, and includes cooked peppers and onions. We often add fresh chopped peppers and onions in addition. Hold the anchovies; we prefer tiny meatballs and sausage slices. We experiment with cheeses, and have even used sharp cheddar.

The real treat comes in the baking. I have an outdoor wood-fired brick oven that I built last year. Load it up with apple or cherry wood, and the flavor is wonderful.

We don't try to reduce fats. The best human diet is made to be up to 75% fat. Really.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:30 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times
Oh yeah, I make low-cal 'pizza' too.

Get the largest rice cake you can find.. like 8" round, and smear tomato paste into the holes to prevent leaks.
Then spread a thin layer of low-salt diced tomatoes, sprinkle with low-fat cheese of your choice, and season with chiffonade of basil and garlic powder. Add red pepper flakes if you like spicy.

Hmmm, so good!

Old 06-21-2015, 02:42 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
I, too, make a thin crust....but I do NOT like a thick sauce....i want just enough sauce for flavor, but not enough to ooze out. I use a mozz/provolone shredded cheese (Sargento), and sometimes, I add a sprinkle of cheddar....and always there's parmesan in there, too!
Nope...no anchovies for me, although I like them in a Caesar salad....some things just don't belong on a pizza, like fish or fruit!

I'll go with pepperoni, sausage and bacon bits, in any or all combos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink