Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 02:23 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,255 times

Advertisements

While it's not technically a spice, I've been incorporating New Mexico Hatch Chiles into my soups & stews. EVERY TIME (not just once or twice) they've added a latent heat & smokiness I can't replicate with anything else. When they interact with other ingredients & spices, everything just seems to get better. It's amazing.

On their own, they're just a chile that looks similar to an Anaheim Chile. They don't have the same heat as a Jalapeno, rather I'd describe it simply as different (although you can get hotter varieties if you like.) Something wonderful happens when they interact with the right stuff. The downside is generally they're available only in the southwest, although my guess is if you look hard enough you'll find them in a lot of regions.

A few months ago I used them in place of green bell pepper while making a Cuban Black Bean soup that was pretty good the first time. With the Hatch Chiles, it became the BEST SOUP I've ever made. Friends tried it, all raved up down & all around about how fantastic it was. Here's a link to the recipe:

Recipe: Cuban Black Bean Soup

The two alterations I made were:
(1) Swapped Hatch Chiles for green bell pepper
(2) Substituted lime juice for 1/2 of the vinegar (a friend who used to live in Miami said this was common with Cuban soups/stews, it certainly helped)

Best of all, it's cheap to make if you have an old ham bone - you did save it & put it in the freezer last time you made a ham, didn't you?

Hope this helps someone out there ... I bought a bunch when a local supermarket chain was roasting them for free if you bought enough ... froze most of them & take out a little at a time when I need them. A few years ago I didn't know they existed; fast forward to today & they've become my favorite thing to incorporate into a lot of foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 05:47 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,476,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
I always add a little balsamic vinegar to my stew. It gives it a brightness and a depth of flavor I can't duplicate with anything else.
I, too use balsamic as a "secret" ingredient. I know the OP said one spice but in stew I always add ras el hanout spice blend. It adds that little extra oompf I like.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:11 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
My stews are generally flavored differently than chili.

Like the song- parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme are pretty much standard for me (and in gravies as well), plus some freshly ground pepper...and I've been using savory quite a bit lately. Paprika sometimes, for a change, or a bit of clove, sometimes a bit of oregano with or without a bit of mint. I have some pre-packaged blends that I use sometimes, but sparingly as they tend to be overly salty. A couple of onions and bell peppers are good too.

Depending on how much drippings there are from browning the meat, I may use some "Better Than Boullion" Beef Base (for beef/venison/moose/elk stews), the pan gets de-glazed with a nice stout ale (sometimes Guinness, sometimes something else a little sweeter), or a good Burgundy or Merlot. I don't use overly lean meat, and I never remove the fat for either stews or gravies.

Chilis get Texas/Mexican spices, starting from my baked beans recipe that uses generous amounts of molasses, bown sugar and mustard and adding diced stewed tomatoes, jalapenos or whatever kind of chili peppers I keep growing in pots in the kitchen.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:37 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
About stew...but not spice, hope it's still ok..
I learned, from a Jewish NY mom, to take about 4c of the stew and blend it ...
place it back in the pot...I usually take the meat chunks out first.
Adds a lot of thickening without flour or anything else.
Not a spice, but parsnips add a 'something different' taste.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:33 AM

19,131 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomoley View Post
Fresh, high quality paprika. Can't do a stew without it.

I do the same, but in addition I now add some smoked paprika.
You shouldn't use more than...let's say...1 tsp. of smoked paprika, lest it become overwhelming, but the judicious use of this staple of Spanish cooking really adds some very nice depth to the flavor of meats.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:44 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,761 times
My choices of spices would be different for a stew than a chili. Stew would probably just raid the spice rack and add onion powder and garlic powder, possibly some clove if it is just me eating it as my wife hates clove. If I'm making a chili, I have a nice collection of hot sauces to add a kick, and chili powder is a given, probably some crushed red pepper. Actually have a really good recipe I use for chili (beanless,) if you're interested let me know ill pass it along to you.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Try some saffron. I use a lot of cumin too. Very healthy as well.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:24 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
Depends on what recipe. Beef stew gets black pepper and bay leaf, maybe a whiff of sage. Chili powder makes more sense with a beany chili type of stew. If you've already got chili powder in it and it still comes across bland, I would add more garlic, some cacao nibs, or simply more chili powder.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:01 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Wink Just hope nobody looks in your window while you are cooking up some cumin, or you'll have some explaining to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I use a lot of cumin too. Very healthy as well.
Whole cumin is even better, lightly toasted then crushed.

I use an old teaspoon and a cigarette lighter to toast a half teaspoon at a time, much easier to control the heat than in a skillet.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Lets say that you have a stew or chilli or something like that that tastes a little bland. What one spice would you use to spruce up the taste a little?
chili: more chili powder, mayb cumin, of course lots of garlic and don't forget the hot spice or sause.

For stew, I use tarragon, maybe rosemary and bay leaf plus of course, like most things like stew, the garlic and I are good friends. Don't forget the a little wine and a touch of tartness, either a little vinegar or a little lemon juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink