Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 12:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
My stews are generally flavored differently than chili.

Like the song- parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme are pretty much standard for me (and in gravies as well), plus some freshly ground pepper...and I've been using savory quite a bit lately. Paprika sometimes, for a change, or a bit of clove, sometimes a bit of oregano with or without a bit of mint. I have some pre-packaged blends that I use sometimes, but sparingly as they tend to be overly salty. A couple of onions and bell peppers are good too.

Depending on how much drippings there are from browning the meat, I may use some "Better Than Boullion" Beef Base (for beef/venison/moose/elk stews), the pan gets de-glazed with a nice stout ale (sometimes Guinness, sometimes something else a little sweeter), or a good Burgundy or Merlot. I don't use overly lean meat, and I never remove the fat for either stews or gravies.

Chilis get Texas/Mexican spices, starting from my baked beans recipe that uses generous amounts of molasses, bown sugar and mustard and adding diced stewed tomatoes, jalapenos or whatever kind of chili peppers I keep growing in pots in the kitchen.
Mine as well. I really do not see much similarities in the two dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 12:27 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Not a spice but anchovy paste will add flavor and no, it won't taste like anchovies.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:37 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,167,237 times
For tasteless stew, I'd add garlic, salt, thyme, celery salt, black pepper and paprika.

For tasteless chili, I'd add garlic, salt, a small can (or half) tomato paste, vinegar, cayenne pepper and cumin.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:50 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Whole cumin is even better, lightly toasted then crushed.

I use an old teaspoon and a cigarette lighter to toast a half teaspoon at a time, much easier to control the heat than in a skillet.
I parch them at a high heat in a lightly-oiled aluminum pan for a few seconds to a minute, let them cool, and then grind them up in the coffee grinder.

That said, I'm surprised no one's mentioned allspice.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:56 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee808 View Post
Browning the meat is important, the Malliard Reaction is contributes greatly to flavor. Make sure there is sufficient fat, opting for lean cuts of meat or hamburger is healthier but it detracts from flavor.

Instead of using water, use beef stock. However if you're using canned or powdered stock rather than making your own be aware that there is a lot of salt in it when seasoning later. Although in general you may need to use more salt in your cooking, restaurant cooking uses between 3-5 times as much as a home cook would.

Vegetables are also important for flavor, the standard mix for mirepoix is 1 part carrots, 1 part celery and 2 parts onions.
Browning is essential.

I like to make stew with roasted beef bones. The marrow adds a lot of flavor.

I use chopped fresh thyme, parsley, a dash of balsamic vinegar, garlic, of course. Red wine is great too.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:27 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Lets say that you have a stew or chilli or something like that that tastes a little bland. What one spice would you use to spruce up the taste a little?
Cumin warms everything up. I like a little Sherry wine. for a stew.

Garlic is helpful for both, if you like it.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,245,457 times
Always pepper!

I love pepper, so I will add both black and white to taste. Enough that you don't need chili.

Its got to be the most underrated spice in the world imo.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:07 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,689 times
For chicken or beef based stews I like Marjoram or basil for added flavor when I want a flavor different from the usual bay leaf and thyme. I also make sure to have some sort of tomato product in it.

For Chili I like Chili powder and cumin and a bit of Franks Red Hot.

Bean soups are also really good with some garam masala and curry powder.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:17 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,606,309 times
a bit of fresh grated nutmeg. it does wonderful things for beef

Old 10-12-2015, 05:09 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,317,005 times
Paprika that baby up and steer it towards goulash town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink