Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 01:14 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times

Advertisements

Oh, by the way...many things I cook taste bland. I simply put it into the fridge at least over night. Most things, the next day, taste like they should. It used to be just stuffed cabbage spaghetti sauce, or sauerkraut "bigos," but nowadays, it's most things. I don't know why. It just is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 01:43 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,741 times
The specific spices used are really going to depend on the flavor profile that you're going for, overall. You could take a stew or chili in any number of directions! Lots of good ideas along those lines on this thread, already. I'll reiterate what others have said regarding the quality and freshness of herbs and spices having a big impact.

If you're combatting "bland", I think the specific spices are less important than the way you build depth, richness, and balance into a stew. Rich but balanced umami is what you want in both a stew and a chili. There are several ways to build those notes into the layers of those dishes:

- Add a bit of tomato paste into your vegetable base as you sauté, just a few minutes before you're ready to add liquid. Allow the tomato paste to oxidize and start to stick to the bottom of the pot quite a bit, nearly burnt. Trust me, this will add an incredible depth of flavor when you add your liquid to soften those crispy, brown bits and add that toasty, umami, slight sweetness to your dish. You could do this with miso instead/as well.

- Anchovies. Don't walk away from this idea just because you don't think you like them, or if you don't like fish at all. Anchovies, when used sparingly do NOT add a fishy flavor to dishes. They add incredible depth, richness and umami. I make a number of stews in which I allow one or two fillets to melt into the sautéed vegetable base (and they do just that: melt into "nothing"). No one perceives "fish", just richness.

- Parmesan rind. Adding a parmesan rind to a simmering stock adds seasoning, umami, and a nutty sweetness. It's a wonderful trick for stocks, stews, soups...

- Use great stocks. If making beef stew, a rich, homemade beef stock is going to have flavor and viscosity that is much more satisfying than a can from the store. Add low/no-sodium chicken or beef stock to a chili, as well.

- Also for depth, wine is a wonderfully delicate but complex flavor component. If we're talking beef stew or chili, some dry red wine does wonders.

- Finish the dish with acid. Just a small squeeze of lemon or lime right before serving will brighten flavors substantially.

- Top stews or chills with fresh herbs when serving: freshly chopped parsley or cilantro will not only add a lot of fresh flavor, but will serve as a counterpoint for the rich, "cooked" flavors in the rest of the dish.

I'll also second TwinbrookNine that, for dishes like stews and chilis, they really do taste better the next day, after flavors have thoroughly melded.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:04 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Ooooh Mommy!

Old 10-13-2015, 02:23 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
I would use a nice, thick grilled steak.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:49 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Not a spice but anchovy paste will add flavor and no, it won't taste like anchovies.
...and relatedly, Worcestershire sauce!

Old 10-15-2015, 08:20 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Wow, IslandCityGirl, I've never even heard of those tricks! Sounds weird but very interesting. What oil/fat do you sauté the veggies in?

Old 10-16-2015, 10:19 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Wow, IslandCityGirl, I've never even heard of those tricks! Sounds weird but very interesting. What oil/fat do you sauté the veggies in?
Hey Woof, you won't be sorry if you give those tricks a try! Olive oil is my go-to for sautéing or sweating the vegetables, but it would also depend on what my finished dish is going to be. The type of fat used is, of course, another opportunity to build flavor and prevent the OP's "blandness" issue.

For chili, a simple canola/vegetable oil would be perfectly fine, but for any chili, soup, or stew in which I brown meat first (like beef for beef stew or something like chorizo for a black bean soup) and then remove it from the pot to add back in later, I would use the rendered fat (perhaps along with a bit of olive oil if only a small amount of fat was rendered, or removing some of the fat if too much is rendered) for cooking the veggies. Mirepoix or holy trinity cooked in chorizo fat could be a dish unto itself. Yum. Along those same lines, I save rendered bacon fat, turkey schmaltz (smells like Thanksgiving as soon as it hits a hot pan!), pork shoulder drippings... (you get the idea) in my freezer. If a dish would benefit from that flavor, I'll add a teaspoon of it to the base as I cook the vegetables. Makes a huge impact on flavor, for sure.

Last edited by IslandCityGirl; 10-16-2015 at 10:28 AM..

Old 10-16-2015, 11:07 AM

19,528 posts, read 9,546,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Oh, by the way...many things I cook taste bland. I simply put it into the fridge at least over night. Most things, the next day, taste like they should. It used to be just stuffed cabbage spaghetti sauce, or sauerkraut "bigos," but nowadays, it's most things. I don't know why. It just is.

I too have noticed that left overs - stew and chili and whatever else, the next day it seems like the flavor has become bolder. I know that's not always possible when you have to make a meal in a hurry.

In any case, my fave go-to is the freshly ground pepper corns. The mixed black, white and red kind.

Aside from that, many of the other suggested items. Slow cooked (crock pot).

Bit of Guinness - Either chili or stew -> meat like beef, not chicken tho

Perhaps a pinch of garlic, or sea salt

Depending on beef or chicken - broth

A little white or red wine - depending on what you've made
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink