Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:47 AM

24 posts, read 26,024 times

Advertisements

I've not seen people send dishes back more than twice, but for me, the only time I send something back is when something is cold when it is supposed to be hot, when there is a glaring flaw in the way something was asked to have made (i.e., I receive a rare burger when I asked for well; I refuse to eat uncooked ground beef), or if the dishware/silverware was dirty.

If I see something done wrong the second time my food is brought to me, I just say forget it. If something can't be done right the second time around, there's someone incompetent in the kitchen who will only screw it up again and waste my time and appetite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 12:27 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,255,714 times
This type of activity runs the risk of a restaurant employee putting something that shouldn't be eaten in the complaining customer's food.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:23 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Maybe the customer has a nut allergy? If I had a food allergy that was serious like that and placed an order under the request that the allergen be avoided (then was made to believe that request could be accomplished), I'd send it back too. Heck, if it's totally screwed up and yucky, even without an allergy, then I don't want to pay for it either. Of course I'm not going to pay for someone else's mistake! I know how hard everyone works in a restaurant kitchen, believe me, but if it's wrong it's wrong. Maybe we shouldn't assume that you were just seeing a "picky" person... You don't really know the details of what was going on there. Can't judge either way.
No, if you have a nut allergy you have to tell them before you order because it can be a life and death matter.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I was at a Thai restaurant recently and the people next to my table had a really picky person , he actually ordered something and kept sending it back, and they had to keep remaking a new order, he sent it back at least three times

when a customer does something like this does he only pay for one meal, even if he wasted the previous orders that were not made good enough for him?

I think he was complaining about nuts, he didnt want any type of nuts in his food

he complained and kept sending his food back so many times, I was done and left before he got his order
I can't recall ever seeing this and I worked as a server for several years. and yes you only pay for one meal.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post

Someone with a "nut" allergy should NOT go to a Thai restaurant. Period.
I agree, there is a lot of chance for cross contamination.

I met a waiter once who told me a story about cross contamination.

He had a shrimp allergy. He ordered the chicken scampi, his wife ordered the chicken and shrimp scampi, Somehow some shrimp juice got into his order and he died at the restaurant. I guess they didn't even have enough common sense to have an epipen with them. I guess the restaurant got sued because it had already closed down by then, and it was a casual chain restaurant too that did well.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:29 PM

The only time I sent something back was when I ordered a bacon cheese burger with american cheese. It came out with blue cheese which I HATE, so I told them to just scrape it off and put american cheese on it.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:49 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
And so, the beauty of learning to cook better than anything you can buy outside of your home.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:52 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,476,034 times
"Lucky we didn't say anything about the dirty knife..."

Old 12-09-2015, 01:58 PM

811 posts, read 1,148,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
No, if you have a nut allergy you have to tell them before you order because it can be a life and death matter.
Obviously. Maybe this particular person DID tell them prior to ordering and they still messed up. Isn't that what I said? My point was/is that we have no idea whether that was a picky person or a legitimate issue. Again, can't judge either way.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:18 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I can only think of one or two times when I have asked for something to be warmed up, or cooked a bit more. I can do med rare, but rare, no. I have asked for a clean wine glass, one without someone else's lipstick on it. Once, I took a bite of chicken, and it was spoiled. In all cases I was polite and patient.

I have told before about my friend, AKA, TFWDLA (the friend who doesn't like anything). She will order something in a restaurant, but send it back just because she doesn't like it. The way she asks is rude, too. Not because there is anything wrong with it. This is very unfair, I think. I bet she has had her food tampered with before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink