Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 02:39 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times

Advertisements

The Thai place that I worked at had a customer come in and berate us for not offering gluten free options. Sorry, this is a small family run restaurant. We don't advertise or offer gluten free. Having gluten free menu is not a requirement. Don't need to go bonkers over it. Just kindly leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 03:08 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
My husband has to avoid certain ingredient's in foods because of diverticulitis, like no tomatoes or seeds or nuts. I understand in moderation these items can be eaten but he likes to avoid them altogether because he has had 3 flare ups. Most of the places we go to are very accommodating especially one of the sushi places we like. You must be very clear and to the point when ordering your meal. I find a lot of customers aren't very clear about what they can and cannot have. I work at Subway and I actually had a guy ask me to pick out the seeds of the cucumbers and tomatoes because he has to avoid them. Unfortunately in a place like that with a busy line we cannot do that and I will tell the customer that and explain that my husband just avoids those foods because of the seed issue. I happy to accommodate anyone's special needs if I can. I have a young girl who comes in with a life threatening dairy allergy. When she comes in I have to use a separate knife, wash my hands really well make her sandwich first, wrap it double. I make sure that no cheese touches. She gets ham with lettuce tomato and olive oil. I have a few gluten free customers who get salads. I also found out that some of the meats served at subway have gluten in them and I think the salami was one of the meats and the teriyaki sauce we use on the chicken has gluten in it too. I called Subway HQ and asked.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:19 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
No matter what she orders my brother's wife will find something wrong with it. If at all possible I don't go with them. I'm sure employees in places where they are regulars know what they're in for when the two of them appear.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Maybe the customer has a nut allergy? If I had a food allergy that was serious like that and placed an order under the request that the allergen be avoided (then was made to believe that request could be accomplished), I'd send it back too. Heck, if it's totally screwed up and yucky, even without an allergy, then I don't want to pay for it either. Of course I'm not going to pay for someone else's mistake! I know how hard everyone works in a restaurant kitchen, believe me, but if it's wrong it's wrong. Maybe we shouldn't assume that you were just seeing a "picky" person... You don't really know the details of what was going on there. Can't judge either way.
If you have nut allergy you cannot go to any Southeast Asian eateries. They all use sesame and peanuts in their sauces and cooking. I ain't Thai without the peanut sauce, coconuts, and bananas.

Real Thai food is not for American palate, most of the Thai places are catered to Americans and removed many key ingredients that makes it Thai. Think of Chinese Take-out made without stir frying and spray of Thai sauce.

Imo, if you can't handle the dish the way it is made at a certain place. You pay the bill and leave then never come back.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:57 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
One of the gals in a Bridge group I play with is the happiest when she is unhappy.
As Abe Lincoln said, Most folks are as happy as they have decided to be.

In order to live a fulfilling and satisfying life, it is sometimes necessary to rid one's self of the people who are bound and determined to be...unhappy. Just as shrubs and trees need to be pruned periodically, one's list of friends and associates also needs periodic pruning.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:23 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I do not understand this part. Are you saying you ordered food you could not pay for?
No saying if it happened now there would be no way I would let them get away with charging us for ruining out appetites.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:02 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
I'm not in the habit of being "embarrassed" for other people (one step away from apologizing to others for your friends' idiosyncrasies), but I don't know why anyone would repeatedly send food back. Given some of the things I've read, that's not always a good idea.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:38 PM

589 posts, read 695,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Well, some people just do that to be dinkweeds. My grandfather was a legend in that regard -- he would literally send something back to the kitchen 10x.
Why didn't the restaurant just kick him out? That's a ridiculous waste of their money since all the "wrong" orders will get thrown away.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:02 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
It is literally impossible for a Thai restaurant to be free of nuts because a staple is the peanut sauce.
The mistake is his not the kitchen's. Sending back once is understandable. But if it still did not suit he could have left calmly and paid for the uneaten meal on the way out.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:08 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
After being friends with lots of people who work in chain and upscale restaurants I have never sent a plate back. I would never send a plate back. Not after hearing them explain all the disgusting stuff they did to peoples food who irritated them. The number one people that irritated them were

1. People who send food back.
2. People who ask for water with crazy additions Like asking for a specific number of ice cubes, lemon , cherries or other fruit.
3. People who customize their order in great detail.
4. Men hitting on female staff.

You did one of those and your were sure to get something extra in your order.

If it was ruined so bad that I couldn't eat it I would simply inform the waitress to clear it, take my complaint and refuse any attempt to fix it. I would try to not pay for it, but would if forced into it. This has only happened to me once so far, and I didn't pay for it.

If the meal was still edible I would eat it, pay for it, and maybe file a complaint but most likely would not return to that restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink