Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:05 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
So, you're putting my dislike of having a "slab of cheese" on a piece of fried fish in the same category as someone not eating foods based on colors????
Get a grip, most picky eaters don't base their preferences on color and I'm sure you realize that. Other than that, yes, it's the same. You dislike something many others enjoy, does that not make you 'picky' too?

Old 03-20-2016, 09:09 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
For those who say you got a long list of stuff you won't eat because of whatever reason, are you sure this list is even real?

Here is what I mean by questioning whether it's real or not.

One time, I swung by and picked up 2 girls I knew from college. We were going to meet up with some more guys to have a get-together. On the way, those guys arrived and they wanted to order the pizzas before we get there so we could all eat right away. They said the restaurant, when seeing their long lists of things they don't want, said that's pretty much everything.

Anyway, when we started eating, the two picky eating girls only ate the pizzas with everything, leaving the rest of us to have to eat the cheese pizzas to compensate.

That really struck me as odd. I knew that these two were picky eaters. One of them even regularly make faces at stuff that belong on their list of stuff they "can't" eat. And yet, they were enjoying the pizzas that had just those things they claimed grossed them out.

Are you sure the list you have aren't just psychological? In other words, if someone blind folds you and feed you these stuff, would you even know the difference?

Old 03-20-2016, 01:40 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Are you actually curious, or just trying to shame picky eaters for not being as open minded as you are?

I used to be a much more picky eater than I am today. For me, it was partly texture - as a kid, I wouldn't even eat spaghetti out of box because it tasted slimy in comparison to the homemade pasta we used to make. I've gotten over much of that but texture is still a big part of it - even today, I don't need to try liver to know the texture would probably make me gag.

I also don't like bitter foods, I have tried some of them so if it's common knowledge they are a bitter food, I don't need to try them all to know I'm not going to like them. I will only eat veggies which are more sweet than bitter - carrots, parsnips, etc. And I hate coffee, much too bitter, even when you load it with sugar and milk. For this reason, I kind of suspect I am a supertaster - supposedly, supertasters are very sensitive to bitter flavors. I once even read an article about how a lot of "picky eaters" are actually just supertasters. So it's not always our fault - sometimes, it is simply biological. I wish that I had a palette that enjoyed more flavors - for example, I've always loved the smell of corn on the cob. It smells SO good, and when you slather it with all that butter, how can it not taste good? But as an adult, I have tried corn on the cob three times, each times thinking "I'm going to love this!" and each time I bite into it, I immediately think "UGH! This is terrible!" How can something that smells so great, taste so bad?! I am so jealous of people who like corn on the cob but for some reason my biology has determined it was not to be for me. There is definitely an element of simply being sick and tired of trying things that taste so bad, they are difficult to swallow, and therefore not wanting to try anything new.

The other part of my problem as a kid was that my dad is allergic to a lot of common seasonings, so I was never exposed to exotic foods when I was growing up, and it was difficult for my dad to eat at restaurants. As such, I grew up basically eating plain meats or pasta (no seasoning or sauces). So I simply wasn't used to a variety of common foods and wasn't conditioned to try new things. I eventually outgrew this once I became an adult and decided I no longer wanted to live in fear of eating out and hoping they'd have at least one thing on the menu I would eat. Part of what really helped also was moving away from my parents, who would always put tremendous pressure on me to try new foods, even as an adult. Once I got away from them, I felt more free to try new things without there being all this attention and pressure on me. I now have no problems eating at most restaurants that serve mainstream foods.

My other issue is that I have IBS and wish to avoid anything that might upset my stomach - mainly spicy foods. But even putting the medical issues aside, I've never understood why anyone would want their mouth to feel like it's on fire and not be able to taste the actual food.

So, currently my "rules" are: no bitter foods, no organs, no "bottom feeders" (I like fish, but not bottom feeders - and yes, I've tried a few of them like crabs), and no spicy foods. Otherwise, I will try most foods. I don't even consider insects to be "food".

Lol, open-minded?

I might, instead, say that the OP doesn't have discriminating tastes.

BTW, some might call me a "picky" eater because there are many things I don't eat. There are also many things that I do choose to eat.

And, memo to OP: Continue to think you know that we must be "making faces." Believe me, we aren't. In fact, it appears that you might be, given your odd scrutinizing of your dinner mates' food choices.

The world would be a better place if people minded their own damn business. My God, how many times do I have to say that?

Yeesh.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:48 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I know a couple of adults who are picky eaters. One is a man who is up to about 300# now. Since he doesn't like vegetables, he only eats things he likes. His wife just needs to be the center of attention I think, so she always makes a big deal out of food. I've seen her return a meal in a restaurant because she didn't like it. Nothing was wrong with it, but she just made a bad choice.

Once, they were guests here, and I was making breakfast. Bacon and eggs. Of course, I asked how everyone wanted their eggs...fried. She said to me, "Oh, you're cooking them in the bacon grease." I thought she was saying that she wanted me to use less of it, so I poured some out. Then she proceeded to say, "I haven't had eggs cooked in bacon grease since I was a kid." Me, still clueless, and cooking the eggs in bacon grease. "I only cook mine in butter", she says. By now you can tell that she is also passive-aggressive.
In case you don't know, I am very intolerant of picky eaters. I do not care in the slightest about other's eating habits, but they always seem to want me to share in it somehow. As I said, I think they like the attention.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:30 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
^^ I have noticed that some picky eaters treat it like it's a status symbol to be picky about what they eat.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:21 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Lol, open-minded?
Yeah, I should have put that in quotes.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:13 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
...does that not make you 'picky' too?
Nope.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:39 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
^^ I have noticed that some picky eaters treat it like it's a status symbol to be picky about what they eat.
And I know people who think they are somehow better than others just because they will shove anything down their throat.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:33 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know a couple of adults who are picky eaters. One is a man who is up to about 300# now. Since he doesn't like vegetables, he only eats things he likes. His wife just needs to be the center of attention I think, so she always makes a big deal out of food. I've seen her return a meal in a restaurant because she didn't like it. Nothing was wrong with it, but she just made a bad choice.

Once, they were guests here, and I was making breakfast. Bacon and eggs. Of course, I asked how everyone wanted their eggs...fried. She said to me, "Oh, you're cooking them in the bacon grease." I thought she was saying that she wanted me to use less of it, so I poured some out. Then she proceeded to say, "I haven't had eggs cooked in bacon grease since I was a kid." Me, still clueless, and cooking the eggs in bacon grease. "I only cook mine in butter", she says. By now you can tell that she is also passive-aggressive.
In case you don't know, I am very intolerant of picky eaters. I do not care in the slightest about other's eating habits, but they always seem to want me to share in it somehow. As I said, I think they like the attention.
Maybe for SOME people, but not for ALL people. Please don't paint people who are different than you with such a broad brush- there's a difference between being a picky (or discerning) eater (a LOT of us) and being a rude jerk (your guests).

Old 03-22-2016, 07:05 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Interesting question!

I just thought I'd post to say:

1. Picky eaters I know usually just say something like, "No, thanks, I don't like fish."

2. The even more interesting question would be: Does that aversion and narrow-mindedness extend to other areas of their lives?
Why did you just think to post another "Pick on people who are different from us" post in a thread that already opened with, and contains plenty of, meanness towards picky eaters, and then belittling us and insulting us further? Surely there can be SOME room for civilized discourse about a subject that doesn't bully one entire group of society? None of whom have insulted YOU, or any other of your kind by the way.

I would seriously like to understand this mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink