Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:58 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Great! I can live with that. I'm 79% on my way to buying one.

That's perfect! 82% and counting.
Don't get the Farberware copy from Wal-Mart. I got it for $29 and the directions were terribly confusing. Customer service was no help either, they just read to you from the same manual that doesn't tell you anything. I ended up returning it.

I bought a Pressure Power Cooker XL instead...would have bought the Instant Pot but it was backordered and Amazon said it would be 10 to 12 weeks.

They all have multiple safety features. When I was first thinking about getting it, my friends were sending me pictures of kitchens where pressure cookers exploded, which made me nervous, but even the Wal-Mart cheapie had the safety features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Don't get the Farberware copy from Wal-Mart. I got it for $29 and the directions were terribly confusing. Customer service was no help either, they just read to you from the same manual that doesn't tell you anything. I ended up returning it.

I bought a Pressure Power Cooker XL instead...would have bought the Instant Pot but it was backordered and Amazon said it would be 10 to 12 weeks.

They all have multiple safety features. When I was first thinking about getting it, my friends were sending me pictures of kitchens where pressure cookers exploded, which made me nervous, but even the Wal-Mart cheapie had the safety features.
Thanks for the heads up on the knockoffs. And thanks, too, on saying that even *I* won't blow anything up.

This is the one that I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.ca/Instant-Pot-IP...ant%2Bpot&th=1

Old 02-27-2017, 09:15 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I prefer the Instant Pot brand because of the stainless steel liner. Some of the other brands have a non-stick coated liner and I try to avoid that as much as possible.

I was pretty nervous about using it to start with but I went through with the water test - you bring a couple of cups of water to pressure. It walks you through the process of using it, and at least for me, made me feel much more comfortable using it. Now I toss stuff in there without a second thought.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I prefer the Instant Pot brand because of the stainless steel liner. Some of the other brands have a non-stick coated liner and I try to avoid that as much as possible.

I was pretty nervous about using it to start with but I went through with the water test - you bring a couple of cups of water to pressure. It walks you through the process of using it, and at least for me, made me feel much more comfortable using it. Now I toss stuff in there without a second thought.
YAY!!! Edging closer to 86.3% chance of buying it! The one that I'm looking at is the Instant Pot brand.

Funny, I'm usually a pretty impulsive shopper, but this FEAR OF THE PRESSURE COOKER has made me so uptight.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:50 AM

7,098 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Dawn, you crack me up!

This does look like a really nice unit, I'm gonna read up on it. I have a too big programmable slow cooker, and it cooks too hot it seems.

I like that this Instant Pot thing seems able to do it all. I am a little afraid of the pressure cooker part, maybe around 42% afraid , since I've never used one.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Dawn, you crack me up!

This does look like a really nice unit, I'm gonna read up on it. I have a too big programmable slow cooker, and it cooks too hot it seems.

I like that this Instant Pot thing seems able to do it all. I am a little afraid of the pressure cooker part, maybe around 42% afraid , since I've never used one.
Hahahaha!!! 42%? Even after reading all of these "you won't lose a limb" messages?

Yeah, the "do it all" part is definitely sweet, especially in our cases in that we both want to replace a machine (or two, in my case). Look how I already said that you WANT to replace your too-big too-hot slower cooker. Sorry!

Old 02-27-2017, 05:25 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
YAY!!! Edging closer to 86.3% chance of buying it! The one that I'm looking at is the Instant Pot brand.

Funny, I'm usually a pretty impulsive shopper, but this FEAR OF THE PRESSURE COOKER has made me so uptight.
The pressure cooker automatically locks until it is safe to open!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-27-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The pressure cooker automatically locks until it is safe to open!!!
Say what?!? You got me 99% there. Is there no way that it could malfunction and just explode while it's locked? (I sound like an alarmist, I know.) Or could I just unplug it if I'm terrified that something has gone horribly, horribly wrong?

Old 02-27-2017, 06:18 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
An old standby - Presto 8 qt pressure cooker.
https://www.amazon.com/Presto-01370-.../dp/B0000Z6JIW

Updated from the "vintage" rocking pressure regulator. Now, they have a silent regulator that's more subtle.

Most, if not all residential pressure cookers have an overpressure valve that prevents an explosion.

Special mention: "hard boiled" eggs in a pressure cooker - fantastic! The pressure build up may take longer than boiling in water, but the shells fall off without snagging the white. And if an egg cracks, there is no seepage to ruin the egg.
https://www.hippressurecooking.com/c...essure-cooker/

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/1...hey-got-there/

Old 02-27-2017, 06:45 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Say what?!? You got me 99% there. Is there no way that it could malfunction and just explode while it's locked? (I sound like an alarmist, I know.) Or could I just unplug it if I'm terrified that something has gone horribly, horribly wrong?
I would never say anything is impossible.

It's sooo nice to have dried to cooked beans in 30 minutes!!

I've forgotten that it's using pressure to cook and went to open the lid and it was locked. Saved me from myself!!

I didn't like the 50-50 I May Die odds using the old style pressure cookers, and I LOVE this!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink