Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 06:29 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,145,017 times

Advertisements

Tonight's dinner was a salad and spaghetti from a jar. I'm on a business trip, and did the best I could. It helps that these extended stay hotels have full kitchens. After reading what everyone is having, I'm going to do better next week!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,779,175 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Often I have used salt, fresh ground pepper and dried marjoram. Last night I simply used Spike.

http://spike-it-up.com/

Salt is obviously necessary, but you can improvise or mindfully add whatever you want. I suspect lemon pepper would be a nice addition for chicken, but I've never tried it.

For thighs, I trim the fat off, keeping the skin. I rub olive oil over the thighs over and under the skin. I spread my 'brine' ingredients out on a cutting board, and roll the thighs over the ingredients. I make sure the salt mix, or dry brine, covers most of the piece of chicken. And then I put it uncovered, in the fridge for at least one hour. I would prefer to leave them in for longer, say for 2-3 hours, but I almost never achieve this.

Then DH grills them on our gas grill.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:21 PM

12,102 posts, read 8,491,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Yes, gentlearts, you have a great memory! I am also officiating the wedding. Almrausch, thanks for your best wishes and encouragement.

I am keeping it simple: shrimp shots (in mini-shot glasses with cocktail sauce and a sprig of parsley) surrounding a gigantic martini glass filled with lemon wedges; 2 bread bowls filled with pimento cheese (Southern style) surrounded by mini-baguettes; a watermelon carved into a basket and filled with various fruits along with skewers of fruit; 2 fruit dips) and lastly tortilla pinwheels (some with turkey and bacon, with thinly sliced smoked salmon and cucumbers; and roast beef with horseradish and scallions; all of these will have a thin layer of cream cheese spread on the tortillas first). There will be Sunrise punch, coffee and tea.

The caterers will do the wedding luncheon and set out the champagne later. We have a cupcake tower instead of a wedding cake. If I haven't passed out from fatigue, I will have a cocktail or 4 and enjoy myself!
I'm glad to hear what you decided on. It sounds lovely. Fresh, refreshing, clever, a touch of the South!

My best wishes to the newlyweds. Hope you find joy in providing it and don't tire yourself out too much.

Tonight it's spicy sloppy joes with decent buns, fried green tomatoes, mangoes and ice cream.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 PM

One of my favorite appetizers: half avocado, topped with shrimp, squeeze some lemon juice over this and add a sprinkle of pepper. Then this is topped with a dollop of sour cream.

Just plucked some broccoli from the garden that will be steamed. From there on, it is leftovers: Crockpot chicken thigh and Jasmine rice.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:04 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,164,377 times
A big fat bowl of FAIL.

I foolishly entrusted the hub to do the shopping for the ingredients for the pad thai I'd be making for us.

He didn't get tamarind paste because it was "weird".
He got angel hair rice noodles instead of pad thai rice noodles because "potayto potahto".
He picked up corn oil instead of the usual duck fat because it is "healthier".

Despite dipping the noodles in hot water for only 2 minutes instead of the 6-8 instructed on the box, they ended up a soggy wad.

So can't say I enjoyed the pad thai I made...but he loves it. So I guess it's not a complete fail.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:11 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,218,659 times
A chicken burrito with brown rice, black beans, Mexican cheese and roasted salsa. Drank Modelo Negra beer.
Raspberries on a scoop of french vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:26 PM

38,997 posts, read 22,997,708 times
Roast chicken leg and thigh with brown rice
Kale, broccoli, mango and shredded carrot salad

Old 09-12-2017, 11:36 PM

You are quite fond of 'the' salad. It sounds tasty. Do you use a salad dressing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
Roast chicken leg and thigh with brown rice
Kale, broccoli, mango and shredded carrot salad

Old 09-13-2017, 05:38 AM

126,363 posts, read 19,123,546 times
Another warm day and I love it.

Tonight a mixed garden salad with grilled chicken breast pieces. To drink lassi or sour lemon water. For dessert cheese cake with sliced strawberries and a cup of black coffee outside on the patio.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:50 AM

4,696 posts, read 3,492,416 times
Praline- I hope you have a wonderful time at your daughter's wedding. May they have a happy and blessed life together.
Almrausch-Enjoy your warm day. Your meal as always sounds wonderful!
Nmita-I must have missed that your husband was in the hospital. I hope he is alright and the doctor sees fit to release him today.

Here is last night's little brisket I smoked.

Tonight I am making a healthy turkey chili. I am always a little leary of healthy recipes. Hopefully this has lots of flavor!

Last edited by magicshark; 09-13-2017 at 08:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink