Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:00 AM

844 posts, read 1,444,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think a lot of people like the "idea" of tea without actually liking the taste of tea, but suffer through it because it's very trendy at the moment. I also like the idea of tea, but I much prefer the taste of coffee.
I agree, coffee taste better. Tea is supposed to have health benefits though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 08:17 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
According to the wizards of the southland, "sweet tea" is not a reference to overly sugared tea, but that the tea is only steeped for FOUR MINUTES, and no more. This results in a much less bitter brew, hence the name "sweet tea."
And it is perfectly normal to order unsweetened sweet tea in Dixie.
I have no idea who "the wizards of the southland" are but this is not accurate. Sweet tea is tea with sugar (or often simple syrup) and that's the default style offered in the south.

This is just one of dozens of links you can find discussing sweet tea.

Why "As Southern as Sweet Tea" Isn't Very Southern at All | Serious Eats

Old 09-11-2017, 09:47 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
...Most tea I taste in America is orange peko flavored, cheap orange oil flavoring to cover up the taste of cheapo leaves...
The term "Orange Pekoe" has nothing to do with orange flavoring, it's a leaf grading term.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Quote:
According to the wizards of the southland, "sweet tea" is not a reference to overly sugared tea, but that the tea is only steeped for FOUR MINUTES, and no more. This results in a much less bitter brew, hence the name "sweet tea."
And it is perfectly normal to order unsweetened sweet tea in Dixie.

Incorrect. The term refers to how the tea is prepared. It's a very specific way and when to add the sugar. Nothing to do with how long the tea is steeped.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
...And it is perfectly normal to order unsweetened sweet tea in Dixie.
Ha ha!!! Try that here, in Dixie, and you'll get a look like you've never seen.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:21 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Oh my. If you think that all tea tastes the same, then maybe you are just limiting yourself to Lipton tea bags. They are so different tasting and there are so many varieties and flavors, ranging from the flavor from the leaves themselves or to manufacturers adding fruit and other ingredients. '

Where do you all live? I live in the US and there are so many dine-in tea cafes or tea retailers where I live, it's mind-boggling. This is in addition to all the speciality coffee places, e.g. Australian, Swedish, etc.

In Paris, tea has become extremely popular and tea shoppes are all over the place. La Duree, Maison Keyser all carry tea (and they have shops now in the US too). Tea is more expensive than coffee in France because France originally imported coffee from their colonized islands. Tea has become incredibly popular in France.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 AM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Ha ha!!! Try that here, in Dixie, and you'll get a look like you've never seen.

If you go to an individual's house, you are probably right.

I do not remember any restaurants in the southern states where you could not get unsweetened tea.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I do not remember any restaurants in the southern states where you could not get unsweetened tea.
Okay, let's get back to that original phrase...

"And it is perfectly normal to order unsweetened sweet tea in Dixie."

Heck, with that logic I should be able to order "unfried fried green tomatoes".

Old 09-12-2017, 07:12 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Yes but the other poster claimed you could get "unsweetened sweet tea". There ain't no such animal

Old 09-12-2017, 06:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
I like several teas, and they taste dfferent from each other to me. I like Oolong, Russian Caravan, a good green, peppermint and one other herbal. I also like a good breakfast type tea.

I suspect the OP has only drunk tea a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink