Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 05:01 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I just had a typical dinner. Two boneless porkchops, two potatoes and a bunch of asparagus.
Still, too much food!
We have long ago been splitting a steak, but tonight, I'm wondering ...should I just make one potato and one pork Chop with a bunch of veggies? Are we weird, or what?

I guess my question is..how much do you make?

Last edited by gentlearts; 05-02-2017 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 05:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
I cook in bulk and eat throughout the week. I've lost a lot of weight so I try to stick to a daily calorie allowance. Depending on how I allocate the calories, I could eat your entire dinner minus one potato. The chops are protein and the asparagus is free calories.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:36 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
I divide my meals into the recommended portions before serving rather than allowing folks to just serve themselves. If anyone is really hungry I tell them they can dig in afte their first serving but they rarely do. People tend to eat what is in front of them so we make the servings <500 calories to start with but allow people to go back for more if after giving themselves enough time to process what they have eaten they are still hungry.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:49 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I divide my meals into the recommended portions before serving rather than allowing folks to just serve themselves...
I cook BBQ for dozens, and I allow people to get what they want. I figure they all had parents to raise them, so they don't need me determining what's best for them.

For ourselves, we generally eat one chop each, or a chicken thigh each. The steaks we buy are four ounce filets, and we do love our fresh veggies.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 05-02-2017 at 07:03 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 06:58 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Hubby and I just had a typical dinner. Two boneless porkchops, two potatoes and a bunch of asparagus.
Still, too much food!
We have long ago been splitting a steak, but tonight, I'm wondering ...should I just make one potato and one pork Chop with a bunch of veggies? Are we weird, or what?

One boneless pork chop, one potato, and asparagus would make a great dinner, and would be enough for me (as long as there was, say, a brownie for dessert ... JK!).

If it were a BONE-IN pork chop, I might want another half or so, since there is much less meat on those.

But your dinner sounds fine (and tasty)!

(As for steak ... I tend NOT to split those, as I don't have them very often and they are a special treat! So I typically overindulge, often going back for seconds, I must admit. )

Old 05-02-2017, 08:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I make lots at once, because I tend to cook in bulk, deliberately making enough for leftovers, other recipes, and to freeze, as appropriate.

Of that, I do small portion sizes of meat and and massive portions of produce.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:19 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Still, too much food!

Whatever fits comfortable on 8" plate (the NORMAL size of the 50's-80's), not heaped!
I only use this size for lunch/dinner. I actually throw away all plates bigger than that

Depends on your hubby calorie needs. Big guy doing some physical work needs more food than a slim guy sitting on the sofa all day

Old 05-02-2017, 09:54 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
There are five of us (two adults, three teens). Our dinners usually have no more than one pound of meat among us, and often less. We eat lots of vegetables and salads, not much pasta, bread or potatoes. However, my teens are known to come back into the kitchen later in the evening and devour the leftovers, or make themselves a sandwich or bowl of cereal. They're all skinny and this seems normal for their age, so it doesn't concern me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Whatever fits comfortable on 8" plate (the NORMAL size of the 50's-80's), not heaped!
I was only around for the 70s and 80s, but I know 8" diameter dinner plates were not the norm at that time. Even back then, those were salad plates. I'm not saying that plates haven't gotten bigger over the years, but googling tells me that the standard dinner plate was 9-10" in the 60s and 10-11" in the 80s, and that's my recollection as well.

Sorry for nitpicking. I think your principle is a good one. An 8" plate of food would not be enough for dinner for my husband (a mechanic) or me, but for sedentary people, it's probably fine. Encouraging smaller portions is generally a good thing.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:06 PM

13 posts, read 10,359 times
Default The Only Thing That Worked

Quote:
Still, too much food!

Two words - Salad Plate. 1 small pork chop, 1/2 a baked potato, and a decent amount of vegies. If it doesn't fit on the plate, then its too much If you look at what they give you in a restaurant, you quickly realize that it is usually enough for two dinners or two people. 1/2 that plate is about the size of a salad plate. You may find that you don't usually finish that whole baked potato anyway!

Old 05-02-2017, 10:18 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I don't think there is an ideal portion. We're all more hungry on some days and at some meals than others. In your example, I would have made just one potato.

I like leftovers, and will usually cook more than I'm going to eat at one meal. It's often lunch the next day. A leftover potato might be hash browns with breakfast and asparagus served cold with vinaigrette at a different meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink