Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 05:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm not a food snob, but if a restaurant advertises itself as a seafood restaurant, and has a tank of lobsters in the lobby, but then serves you something frozen off a Sysco truck, that is wrong.
OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 05:42 PM

564 posts, read 449,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wish we had a red lobster here in Montreal,some place id go once in a while but the closest one is either in Ottawa or Lake George.
Hey!I lived in Lake George for nearly 20 years. No Red Lobster there! Trust me. We didn't even have a gas station. Or cell phone signal.

Oh. Wait. That was Lake George, Colorado. Disregard.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:46 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
I sprang for the live lobster there once and it was awful. Stringy, chewy and the server did not know how to de-shell it. I love those unhealthy cheddar biscuits though.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:45 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
I'm not a food snob, but if a restaurant advertises itself as a seafood restaurant, and has a tank of lobsters in the lobby, but then serves you something frozen off a Sysco truck, that is wrong.
I order frozen Vital Choice regularly and it's fantastic.

OMG FROZEN?

THE HORRORS!

The icky unwashed masses have no rights to Upper Crust New England Seafood!

And you're saying Red Lobster is committing fraud?

https://www.redlobster.com/seafood-with-standards

HOW DO WE GET OUR SEAFOOD?

Very carefully.
Whether you’re a guest, employee or business partner, you can be confident that the seafood we serve is sourced in a way that is safe, ethical, responsible and sustainable. In fact, all of Red Lobster’s seafood comes from a worldwide network of trusted suppliers that follow our industry-leading quality and safety standards.

WILD-CAUGHT
All of our wild seafood is caught in a safe, sustainable way. This includes favorites like live Maine lobster and snow crab, plus seasonal catches like Alaska Sockeye Salmon.

Sustainably Farm-Raised
We require our farm-raised seafood suppliers to follow Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) defined by the Global Aquaculture Alliance (GAA).

A Commitment to Fresh, Seasonal and Local
Every day, our award-winning Today’s Fresh Fish menu features seasonal selections that are flown in or sourced from nearby waters—never frozen.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Isn't Legal Seafood the place to go for Lobster? Unless you go to Maine.

(please excuse me for being a "bad" New Englander. I have never tried lobster in my life--traumatized by childhood lobster experience, lol.)
I know there are mixed feelings about most restaurants. let's face it, food is very subjective but Legal Seafood is where my daughter orders seafood (Loster) for me every year on my BD and has it shipped I would be disappointed if a year went by without those wonderful creatures arriving in the dry ice. My mouth is watering just thinking of that wonderful present each year.

As for, Red Lobster, OP don't bother driving any distance just to experience what looks so good on TV. It isn't anything like it looks. Stick with your great crab. which is far superior to any fish you will get at a Main steam national restaurant chain. There is a place for Red Lobster, many really enjoy it, but it is still semi fast food most of it prepared ahead of time.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:24 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,980 times
Quote:
Here in coastal GA and the Carolinas, we have Joe's Crab Shack. My daughter and I made the mistake of eating at the Myrtle Beach one once. I forget what they called it, but it was a mesh bag of steamed shellfish. It was obvious that it came out of the freezer.

I am a MA girl, and nobody has better fresh fish than New England. Here in coastal Georgia all they have is shrimp, and most of it is frozen too. If you go right to a dock, and get lucky, you might be able to score some fresh fish, but even the fish market in town sells stuff like tilapia and Swai from god only knows where.
This 40 year Alaskan and former commercial fisherman, disagrees with you.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:53 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Arrgghh......it was so darn pointy!
Did you try it with a side of rooster spur sauce?

Random thoughts on Red Lobster:

Yes, those Red Lobster commercials must be prize winners. They never fail to make me drool.

My rule for good seafood is "the colder the habitat, the better the seafood."

Best meal I ever had in a Red Lobster was in the foothills of the Black Hills. Nothing but hamburger joints for a couple of hundred miles and then - Red Lobster.

You have to give them points for an attempt at atmosphere, good biscuits and very fresh veggies.

And a finally an anecdote: I ate lunch there once with a staunch vegetarian who told me piously, "I would never eat anything with a face" and then ordered a whole steamed lobster. The cognitive dissonance was deafening.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:02 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Don't go to Red Lobster for lobster. It's not good. Look for some sort of seafood restaurant with a good reputation. Trust me on that one. Please.
+1
If one lives along the coast and has access to Mom & Pop seafood restaurants, it just makes little or no sense to go to Dead Lobster for dinner. Yes, if you live in Nebraska, you may not have any other options for seafood, but if you live on the coast, it just defies logic to go to Dead Lobster.

In a similarly confusing absence of logic, here in NJ we have some of the best pizzerias to be found in The US, and yet, some people see fit to go to Pizza Hut--or other chains--for their mediocre (at best) pseudo-pizza, rather than getting the real thing from non-chain pizzerias.

Why?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:34 PM

564 posts, read 449,067 times
Just to further hijack this thread, I've been visiting Pizza Hut for, what, 50 years maybe??? And I still can't figure out what is in it. There is pizza crust, I'll give them that. But anything that might be cheese is so thin I can't identify it. And where everyone else puts a tomatoie semi runny sauce, PH has some almost powdery red stuff, again, so thin as to defy identification. Toppings continue the theme.

Yet, I still stop in every year or two and enjoy it! In fact, my only complaint is the company's requirement that you spend a minute or two doing what I call the Pizza hut Shuffle. The place can be, and often is, empty. But the sign says Please Wait to be Seated. And wait you do!

Old 06-23-2017, 10:53 AM

923 posts, read 526,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
For those of you have never been in one or who look down on them, you need to remember that for many parts of the country Red Lobster is all there is for any seafood. Maybe a local fish camp selling fried catfish, fried shrimp, and fried clams that all come premade.

I've been lucky enough to have been stationed multiple places and I understand good, fresh seafood vs other. And I'm now in a town where Red Lobster is the most upscale place in town. It's either that or the Filet o Fish at McDonald's.
I meant no harm, I still like a McD's burger every once in a while. We will still hit Red Lobster too.

Living in the middle of the country, I know that to get a great burger i will make my own and I live in beef country. I know if I want good seafood(I don't make it great), I gotta cook it myself. Order online or what ever, but I know I gotta make it.

Eating at a restaurant is and experience and is nice when ya feel lazy. Nothing wrong with it at all. But, I'll call a spade a spade. I'll eat a FF burger/Red Lobster and enjoy the ease and fun that can be had by doing so.

But that don't mean it's good. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink