Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:20 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have known a lot of people who eat grits that way. All this talk about grits made me realize I hadn't had them for ages. So, what did I do? I made grits with butter and cheese for breakfast this morning. I gave spoiled brat oat meal.
Good for you! I'm going to have to make some soon after all this talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,797 times
Steak, grits and red-eye gravy.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:26 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Cheese grits! And plenty of hot sauce.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:35 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Do you like them regular, creamy or al dente? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9AqbDtSFNU

Old 08-09-2017, 05:06 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,219 times
I've always had grits with butter and salt. When I moved to NC from LI NY 4 years ago, someone told me that they have theirs with grape jelly mixed in! Maybe they were just messing with the "Northerner"?

Old 08-09-2017, 09:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I also like grits that have been baked and sliced and fried. I usually have them with salt and pepper - or hot sauce.

Does anyone know of use other toppings? Curious. I prefer savory.

We refrigerate leftover grits in an ice tea glass (OK - fine...any glass will do, but we are Southern) and then just slide them out the next morning, dredge the slices in an egg wash (like French toast) and pan fry them in butter and serve with syrup and sausage just like with French Toast. As a family, we call them "grit cakes" but they may have a more official name that we just don't know!

Old 08-09-2017, 11:11 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
OMG I love grits and had no idea I had such great company. The best way I like them are in cheesy garlic grits, and the recipe is on the box. I prefer old fashioned slow cooked and those are hard to find---it's the secret behind Waffle House grits.

Also I love a big bowl of grits topped with butter then a fried egg and a sprinkle of cheese on top. Then fresh cracked pepper and salt.

My latest true love is fried grits--Southwest Diner in St. Louis makes them and they are like tater tots but with cheesy grits inside. Delicious.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:05 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times
I recall a few years back now, we went on a "let's just go, and see what we see", trip to the U.S.
We flew to D.C., spent two and a half days looking around, then picked up a rental and headed south on 95, with a vague idea of checking out Richmond VA., maybe Williamsburg VA. too.
Nicole was driving, as my long suit is relaxing by either reading the paper, or looking at the surrounding area.
I began to notice signs for Fredericksburg, and having read that there was a battle there during the Civil War, I decided to have a look around.
Nicky pulled off the interstate, and said that she could use some coffee, we duly came across a mom and pop diner somewhere, and went in.
I saw grits on the breakfast menu, this was late morning, so I asked if I could try some to see if I liked them.
The waitress gave me a small amount in a saucer, and said that some people put more butter in it, some put salt, some put jelly, which threw me a bit, as jelly in the U.K. is jello to you guys, but to us, your jelly is our jam.
The grits reminded me of semolina, which was a staple dessert in school lunch cafeterias in the U.K., and didn't knock me out.
However, this grits stuff was a revelation, it was great, I ordered up a whole mess of it, but Nicky stuck with wholewheat toast, marmalade, and coffee.
That evening in Richmond, I had another culinary delight, fried green tomatoes, delicious.
I said to Nicky, "That's it, if we hit the lottery, screw the mansion by the sea in Cornwall, I want a big old plantation house with marble columns, somewhere between Columbia S.C. and Savannah GA."

Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
Pack them in a buttered loaf pan and chill over night. Turn out the loaf, slice and fry in bacon fat til brown and crisp on the outside. We ate this with hog jowl, floured and fried. An egg would be good with this if the hens are laying
That sounds like a variant of fried mush.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:08 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Eggs, grits and corned beef hash is a tasty meal.
LOVE THIS. I just hate that I can't have it--far too much sodium.

Why must EVERYTHING we enjoy have something awful attached to it--?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink