Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:31 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times

Advertisements

About once a week I will make a breakfast of grits, a sausage patty, and two scrambled eggs. I cut up the eggs and sausage and mix it all well in one of those 20 oz corningware coffee cups. Mmmmm.

But I am all out of sausage (usually from the Chefstore), so yesterday, I cooked and chopped up a couple bacon strips; not quite, but almost as good.

Tomorrow, I think I will try a slice of Spam, but I don't expect the combo to work as well.
  • Kielbasa?
  • Shrimp?
  • Steak?

Have you ever tried Grits, Eggs and ?

What's you favorite combination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 08:51 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
I like grits with chorizo and eggs. I like spicy food so regular breakfast sausage isn't my favorite. Shrimp & grits is always a winner in my house.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:57 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
About once a week I will make a breakfast of grits, a sausage patty, and two scrambled eggs. I cut up the eggs and sausage and mix it all well in one of those 20 oz corningware coffee cups. Mmmmm.

But I am all out of sausage (usually from the Chefstore), so yesterday, I cooked and chopped up a couple bacon strips; not quite, but almost as good.

Tomorrow, I think I will try a slice of Spam, but I don't expect the combo to work as well.
  • Kielbasa?
  • Shrimp?
  • Steak?

I love grits. Grits and pan sausage are probably the best combo. Hamburger patties and grits go well together also. Eggs and grits go well together and I'm sure Spam will be decent with grits. You must of course always add a good cheddar cheese and butter to your grits for maximum effect.

If you'd like less savory grits ..slice up a banana in buttered grits and then mash them together.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:07 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I like them sweet. With preserves, fresh fruit or fruit syrup. Or just little butter, sugar and cinnamon. Kinda like rice pudding

Old 08-08-2017, 12:13 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I like them sweet. With preserves, fresh fruit or fruit syrup. Or just little butter, sugar and cinnamon. Kinda like rice pudding
Only problem I have is some stomach issues that popped up in the last 16 years or so. Grits just seem to be hard on my stomach. I love them though. I grew up eating them. I do prefer them savory with cheese and salt. But, I use to eat them with bananas. They are eaten with fish dishes in the Bahamas.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:15 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Picture this.

Son #2 is about five years old when my MIL takes him and his brother to a small zoo in upstate NY. Lunch time arrives and she takes the kids to the small food kiosk to grab a bite to eat.

MIL to Son #2: Would you like a hamburger, a hot dog, or pizza?

Son #2: No.

MIL: That's all the choices they have, sweetie. Hamburger, hot dog, or pizza?

Son #2: No.

After several explanations from MIL that those are the only options, Son #2 places his hands on his hips and announces, "Well, I guess I'll just have grits."

The Yankees who had been watching the exchange dissolved in laughter.

Son #2 went home hungry. He did not get grits, as his grandmother had none in the house.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
I go hot and cold when it comes to grits: I just bought some a few days ago and might have them for breakfast tomorrow. Spoiled brat does not like them, so I have to fix them just for me. I do like them with butter or grease and cheese. I have never had them with meat, but sounds like a winner.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:53 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I love real grits, not the instant type, the kind you have to cook for around 30 minutes. I like them as a breakfast side with butter & salt and not mixed in with anything.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:57 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

• Kielbasa?
  • Shrimp?
  • Steak?

With nice soft-yolked eggs any of these will do with SPAM at the bottom of the list. Grits and eggs are da' bomb!!!

Old 08-08-2017, 07:12 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
No thank you. This yankee has moved to the south and learned to like cheese grits with shrimp, but that's where it ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink