Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Perked 16 13.79%
Drip 37 31.90%
French Press 33 28.45%
Other (Keurig, etc) 30 25.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,004 times

Advertisements

I used the French Press for years. Then I tried a “cold press” coffee maker. Omg. The difference is huge. It take 24 hours to make it. It is concentrated coffee. I get about 3-4 pints of coffee in one batch that will last me roughly 3-4 days depending on how much coffee you drink. I add maybe 1/2 c of concentrate to 3/4 hot water (I use a electric tea kettle to get my water super hot). It’s smooth, as strong or as weak as you want to make it. I have friends come over and drink it and they fall in love with my coffee. Sure, it take a bit longer but I store it in the fridge. Mine is made by OXO. Once you try it you won’t go back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 06:46 AM

3,101 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
For any of you that use a French Press, unfiltered coffee raises you LDL Cholesteral levels so make sure you run that coffee through a filter.

And also use unbleached filters.
Good info, BH, thank you. I didn't know about the cholesterol, but even use a paper filter in my espresso machine. I cut a standard basket filter into quarters & line the basket before filling with espresso.

Long story & long ago, I found that when I didn't use an adequate filter (I was using the gold, reusable filter) & small fragments of the bean were getting into my brew. In an effort to not give TMI, I had UTI symptoms for 1-yr & my bf at the time figured out that it was the shards of beans floating in my coffee (thankfully, he used clear coffee mugs at the time) & it was irritation, not infection.

After 3-days with a double paper filter (which I've used ever since), I had no more symptoms. I stopped & started 3 times to test it... same results each time. Yes, big believer in paper filters, no matter the method of brewing.

Also, I have a FR press, that I don't use often, but have for company. I even use a filter with that (wrap it around the plunger before pushing down)... it absorbs the oil & I don't get indigestion, that I'd normally get sans filter.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
For any of you that use a French Press, unfiltered coffee raises you LDL Cholesteral levels so make sure you run that coffee through a filter.

And also use unbleached filters.
WHAT? I will look this up...if true it should be front page
medical news on the Morning Shows, imo! Geeze! And thank you...

Old 10-08-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyJohnsonElmhurst View Post
I used the French Press for years. Then I tried a “cold press” coffee maker. Omg. The difference is huge. It take 24 hours to make it. It is concentrated coffee. I get about 3-4 pints of coffee in one batch that will last me roughly 3-4 days depending on how much coffee you drink. I add maybe 1/2 c of concentrate to 3/4 hot water (I use a electric tea kettle to get my water super hot). It’s smooth, as strong or as weak as you want to make it. I have friends come over and drink it and they fall in love with my coffee. Sure, it take a bit longer but I store it in the fridge. Mine is made by OXO. Once you try it you won’t go back!
Really...I believe you...hmmm. Good 'testimony'.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Also, I have a FR press, that I don't use often, but have for company. I even use a filter with that (wrap it around the plunger before pushing down)... it absorbs the oil & I don't get indigestion, that I'd normally get sans filter.
Hmm...I would never have thought about this...thank you!

Old 10-08-2017, 07:36 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
With drip units, I find that they had to be replaced every year for one reason or another, they were just a land fill item, they needed to be kept fed with filters, and they tend to make weak coffee.
Sure, if you buy a cheap one.

My Braun KF187 is almost 20 years old. I think I bought it in 2001. I have a gold plated cleanable filter. I replaced the carafe once. The drip rate is fully adjustable. After all these years, I know how much coffee to put in the coffee grinder to get the strength I prefer.

We also have a single cup Melita with a gold-plated cleanable filter and an electric kettle when we only want one cup.

I have a French press but I don't use it very often.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:20 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
I stayed in places with coffee makers (Mr Coffee type) and even though I only made 2 cups for myself, the first cup tasted so much better than the 2nd (30 minutes later) that I switched to doing one cup at a time with a cone filter.

Then I got a SS French press, I like that, after it brews I pour it off into a carafe and add milk to that. About 1.5 cups a morning. If I forgot to wash the FP, I nuke water in a glass measuring cup, add coffee to the cup, let stand, then pour through a cone filter. Some of the cone filters go too fast for my liking.

I have some inlaws who post on FB every couple of years, "OMG have to go out to Dunkin Donuts this morning, our coffee maker stopped working!!" Really? You can't figure out how to make coffee in a pot?

Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
My requirements for a good cup of coffee are that it be hot (never burnt), and strong. I'm a fan of my Farberware percolator which delivers on both counts.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:45 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
The wife only goes to about 2:00 pm, but I drink coffee all day long. We've always gotten along very well. At home though, I need quick and easy, so I use an industrial grade Mr. Coffee machine. They last about 15-18 months, and what breaks first is always the ON/OFF switch. I have a spare machine in the closet though. When one dies, I just swap it out and order another one. The coffee itself is a pre-ground blend from 1-pound vacuum-sealed bags. I don't want the noise, dust, or hassle of a grinder.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:00 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I use a drip coffee maker for my day-to-day needs, though I use a perk when I camp. I actually prefer the perk even though I know coffee connoisseurs regard it as a horrible way to make coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink