Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 01:59 PM

155 posts, read 132,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
A thermometer will vastly improve your cooking.
This

I am a novice cook at best and I have 3 thermometers in my kitchen drawer.

They are inexpensive and extremely useful and a cinch to use ... whats not to like ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 02:30 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I don't have and don't want to buy a kitchen thermometer (many are inaccurate anyway)...
Many more are VERY accurate. I've always had an accurate food thermometer on-hand. Serving underdone chicken or turkey to guests can be very embarrassing.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:41 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
There are cheap infrared thermometers you can find all sorts of places. Harbour Freight, Northern Tool, and the two obvious on line sources.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
There are cheap infrared thermometers you can find all sorts of places. Harbour Freight, Northern Tool, and the two obvious on line sources.
That reminds me of an anecdote regarding those IR thermometers. Sometimes, if I'm cooking a large batch, I'll use a thermometer to verify my BBQ chicken is cooked correctly or my pork butts have come to temperature. Well, a fellow BBQer was extolling the virtues of his fancy "point-and-shoot" IR thermometer. I didn't have the heart to point out the obvious flaw in his logic.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:54 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
Any recommendation for an accurate thermometer that does not use a battery (i.e. not digital)?

Actually what prompted the question was the concern about the smoking point of various oils. It's said oil heated over its smoking point can produce carcinogens, so I wonder what is the average temperature in the pot when we, say, stew something in low/medium heat, or stir fry on medium? Does it reach 450F, said to be the smoking point of some common oils like Olive oil?

Old 01-17-2018, 12:13 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Any recommendation for an accurate thermometer that does not use a battery (i.e. not digital)?

Actually what prompted the question was the concern about the smoking point of various oils. It's said oil heated over its smoking point can produce carcinogens, so I wonder what is the average temperature in the pot when we, say, stew something in low/medium heat, or stir fry on medium? Does it reach 450F, said to be the smoking point of some common oils like Olive oil?
Smoking point of oil is easy- when the oil begins to smoke, and it varies depending on the type of oil you are using, you will begin to notice how long it takes before the oil you are using gets too hot and adjust accordingly.

we love our rare meats over here, never needed a thermometer to know how to cook it how we like it.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:25 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Watery dishes like soups and stews don't generally get above 212 until all the water is cooked out (I don't think you'd let them get that far, they'd be ruined).

Lotsa good info if you google smoking point oil:
https://www.google.com/search?q=smok...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I suggest you go to Amazon and check the reviews of their thermometers. That can give you hundreds of opinions by people who have actually used them.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:

No battery? You want it to run on electricity?

Old 01-17-2018, 03:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Only a thermometer will give you a more reliable reading over what you think the temperature might be.
Go ahead and treat yourself =
Food Thermometer Reviews - Best Food Thermometers

Old 01-17-2018, 06:14 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:

You will be hard pressed to find a thermometer to measure a drizzle of oil in a pan. When it starts smoking it has reached the smoking point. When your secondary kitchen timer aka smoke alarm goes off it is past the smoking point. Time to start all over with a fresh pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink