Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
I love sammich and samwich.

You mean pasketti?
I thought it was p’sgetti!

Old 02-21-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My son is two. He loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. One day, I referred to it as a PB&J, and he thought I said "Baby J," and now he always requests Baby Js. It's fun in public, nobody knows what the hell a "Baby J" is.
You’ve got a family name for a common sandwich! What fun!

Old 02-21-2018, 09:45 AM

73 posts, read 102,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There was a rather well-known Skid Row bar in Chicago that had a sign in front offering an 18 oz. schooner for 15 cents. Although I was but a callow youth when I first saw this sign, I knew that they weren't talking about lemonade. I never entered this establishment, but I did see men sleeping on the sidewalk in front of the place.

I did like the romance of the term schooner. It had far more charm than skid row bar signs in Denver which said simply, "20% quart 89 cents" [their punctuation] Denver pawn shops were far better than Chicago's, however. The best ones were always on skid row regardless of the city. Interestingly, these areas were quite safe for normal people.
Schooners are a type of glassware - basically a large beer glass on a footed stem.

They are not the same as growlers, which is more like a jug with a fitted cap. Most modern growlers have a screw on lid, but some do have a fitted fliptop with ceramic plug and rubber seal.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My pet peeve is they have all different names for cuts of beef. Half the time I can't find what the recipe says and have to ask the butcher, and the ones in the supermarket don't know a heck of a lot either.
Now this is a pet peeve of mine. You have to translate the cut of meat specified in the recipe to the cuts of meat you can find.

Even when a store has butchers available, they are often none too happy to get you the cut you want, or to cut a piece on request.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:26 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Certainly, those other terms can be helpful in describing the taste of wine. It's just that it seems to me that I seldom encounter references to the taste of grapes in those descriptions.
All wine is made of grapes. It would not be a useful description to call a wine's taste "grapes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Because I've never encountered a wine I enjoyed, so those aroma/flavor "notes" elude me. Now, fruit it up as a Sangria and I'm fine.
It is not a particularly constructive comment. If you've only encountered "sweet" and "bitter" in wine, then you haven't really made an attempt.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:38 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm. Back in the '80s I had a boss who used the Italian word for eggplant, mulignane, all the time, but he wasn't referring to food.

Nowadays, his azz would be fired, and rightly so.
I know what you mean, but I learned the Italian word for eggplant (and used in slang the same way) as melanzana. Searching for mulignane turns up the same 2 meanings. I guess there are many words for the same things.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:42 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
All wine is made of grapes. It would not be a useful description to call a wine's taste "grapes."
You can make wine from nearly any fruit. I've even had wine made from coffee cherry pulp.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:53 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
While I enjoy wine, honestly I cannot differentiate the flavors, but I can in food.

My family all lives in wine country, but I am restricted to "like" and "do not like" as I'm NOT going to pretend that I enjoy the oaky bouquet that is offset by richness of the currants and chocolate.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yeah, relish tray gets used where I grew up, too (not the south, though).
...and don’t forget the “cornichons” on the relish tray.

Remember when sous vide was just, cook in a bag?

Old 02-21-2018, 11:42 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
It seems like the tv hosts have finally slowed down on using the term "decadent" to describe just about any dish they find pleasing. I prefer not to eat anything that is decayed or decadent, or is prepared to taste like it is. Thanks, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink