Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,139 times

Advertisements

You could eat nothing and then 30 minuts later or an hour and a half have a small handful of nuts. Healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 09:53 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I am struggling with the calorie thing. I need to lose at least 10 lbs and I don't exercise much. I would love to have a snack of cheese, nuts and maybe avocado in the morning. But that is a LOT of calories. I will think on this.

A few years ago, I had a small health scare. My doctor told me to follow a nutrient dense diet, and we'd retest in a few months. I immediately started a raw diet and then transitioned to vegan. In six months, I lost 20 pounds with no exercise, and I was never hungry. I love fresh grapefruit juice, so I'd juice two grapefruits and an apple every morning, and that was my breakfast. It even replaced the cup of coffee I had every morning at the office. Lunch was quinoa and kale salad from home or from the Whole Foods salad bar. Dinner was more quinoa with an entire baking pan of roasted veggies. Snacks were usually almonds. My follow up test came back clean.

I've since lost the willpower to follow a strict vegan diet, but I know I can do it again if I really want to. But the point of the story is...pack your meals with TONS of vegetables, and you can easily lose a few pounds.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:53 AM

496 posts, read 411,866 times
If you keep the nut, cheese, avocado snack to around 300 calories, that would be a very reasonable amount for breakfast. Eat this around 10 when you get hungry. If it interferes too much with lunch try just a bit of cheese or a few nuts. This will take some experimenting to find what works for you. The traditional 3 squares a day doesn't work for everyone. The key is figuring out what works best for you.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Actually.. a lot of the docs and nutritionists that I've been seeing on tv and reading are changing their mind on the breakfast thing for everyone. If you don't like breakfast.. don't eat it. I can't eat when I wake up. Not for about 3 or 4 hrs anyway.
Yep. That. Unless someone is ill or seriously underweight, eat when you're hungry, and stop eating when you're no longer hungry. The rule of thumb, to me, is "want every bite you eat".

Old 03-09-2018, 10:19 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
It's perfectly OK to skip breakfast.
Hopefully your coffee/chocolate combination doesn't have a lot of sugar in it--that's gonna mess with your blood sugar.

Take a snack to work to eat when you get hungry.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:40 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
I am struggling with the calorie thing. I need to lose at least 10 lbs and I don't exercise much. I would love to have a snack of cheese, nuts and maybe avocado in the morning. But that is a LOT of calories. I will think on this.
If you went low carb, any of those things would be very acceptable. There is no calorie counting. It’s hard to get your head around, but the most “fattening” things have fewer carbs than low calorie things. For example, heavy cream has fewer carbs than skim milk. It has to be all or nothing though. If you go high fat/low carbs, you can’t touch the simple carbs.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:12 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Funny; across the decades I changed my views on breakfast. And may again, one day.

I have no memory of relishing it as a child. My dad made a family thing of it, Sat or Sun as a kid, which is a neat tradition. He also did Saturday night chilidogs, aka Coneydogs, which I've learned since is a Detroit thing! Never mind.

Then maybe ten years ago, I started to relish breakfast as something of a production. I made it social, calling it (Blondebaerde's) Breakfast Club and inviting others on Saturday, usually early. I'd get half dozen sometimes. Kind of a men's club thing, guys in our 40s, mostly single because wives want no part of that. Couples, single guys: nah.

I've backtracked on the hearty fare, for health reasons....long way of saying, if you think you might want "something" vs. "nothing," I heartily recommend the following as a disgusting sounding (but really isn't), filling, tasty breakfast:

Whey protein powder, from Costco or health store
Frozen colorful berries or certain other fruits (non high-glycemic)
8oz water
1 tablespoon of non-sugary nut butter, eg almond or Adam's PB
Cinnamon or nutmeg to taste

One scoop (serving) of whey powder, two handfuls of frozen berries, water, nut butter, spice in a juicer and the 'frozen drink' setting to whip it up, you have a frozen berry drink that is mighty tasty if I do say so.

I like strawberries and vanilla whey powder, with cinnamon, and usually forego the nut butter as a snack later. I'll tell you, that sits well with me (no nausea), is filling due to tons of protein, really healthy, low to no carbs, low cal too afaik (under two hundred). That and two cups of my home-brewed coffee: I'm a critter of habit, and work from home these days, so it's a darn satisfying breakfast. Could be made portable, too, for one the go. Try it? Takes like 2 min with a good blender, which is a great $30 investment anyway for any kitchen. I'm keeping clear of carbs awhile, on Dr's orders, as no good comes of it for me in-particular.

EDIT: if you need to lose weight, I can pretty much guarantee fare like the above is exactly how you start. In fact the whole 'protein shake' thing is core to certain weight loss programs; I was on one in 2004 that included about five of those per day to start and not a ton else, which keeps one alive but is...not too pleasant after awhile. One per day? Quite enjoyable!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:32 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
I don't think you should overeat during breakfast and that's the mistake people make that it's ok to have 2 jelly filled donuts with OJ and milk then wash it down with coffee. That's putting down a thousand calories. No wonder some folks get some worn out by 10am they need the coffee to give them a kick but that's not how you should eat breakfast.

The best thing to do is have a sensible breakfast that is easy on the stomach so you don't get tired or feel bloated before lunch. It's the best time to eat fruits and fiber to help detox your body and the best time to have a smoothie or shake because you need more liquid than food in the morning.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
A meal eaten shortly after waking (commonly called Breakfast) is not the most important meal of the day for some people.

Don't eat first thing in the morning if you don't have to. If you lose energy and feel weak and slow within 4-6 hours of waking, you should eat something, but if not, eating your daily calories later is no problem and may even confer som metabolic advantage.

Research "intermittent fasting".

Old 03-09-2018, 12:11 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
The minimum you should eat for breakfast is nothing.

I do not recommend eating less than nothing for breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink