Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 03:08 PM

8,770 posts, read 5,059,025 times

Advertisements

It`s funny.....I won`t eat fresh tuna, but I like canned tuna. I like most other fish to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 03:21 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
We already had a thread about this.

I get the canned Wild Planet solid albacore in EVOO. It's delicious, and the only kind we eat now. It's expensive, but well worth the price.
In 2013? That's the only one I see. Is one every five years acceptable?

Old 08-27-2018, 03:32 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In 2013? That's the only one I see. Is one every five years acceptable?
Stop getting indignant over an offhand comment.

I simply mentioned it because I responded a couple of months ago in a thread you apparently missed.

But, hey, it looks like you want to fight--not learn about tuna.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:39 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I agree, I only buy white albacore from Costco, and it's very nice.
A BIG +1.
Additionally, a detail that seems to elude most people is that the cans of tuna from Star-Kist and Bumblebee have decreased in weight over the years. By contrast, Costco's cans are the same larger size as in "The Good Old Days".

Hmmmm... Better quality tuna, more of the desired product in each can, and a lower price per ounce.
What's not to like about the altogether superior deal from Costco?

Old 08-27-2018, 03:39 PM

485 posts, read 324,509 times
I like solid white in water but I prefer to get the extra low sodium cans. I used to get Starkist (Low Sodium Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water | StarKist) but it seems the quality has down hill lately.

Now I'll get the Sprouts brand Solid White No Salt Added Albacore. It tastes mild, no strong fishy taste and I just buy it at my local Sprouts. https://shop.sprouts.com/shop/categories/183

Old 08-27-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I like most other fish to.
I think that there is a missing word in that sentence.
What would you like most other fish to do?

Old 08-27-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
We got some COS from Sam's that was so fishy it was like cat food.
Memories of the 1970s...
Back in the '70s, an aunt--who was always looking for the absolute cheapest deal on everything--served us some tuna sandwiches. Because she was a "cat lady", and because the stuff that she served us REALLY reeked like cat food, I asked her... "Is it possible that you mixed-up the cat food and the human-grade canned tuna?".

Aunt Doris threw something at me, but--in truth--I never got an adequate response to my entirely-reasonable question.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:10 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
A BIG +1.
Additionally, a detail that seems to elude most people is that the cans of tuna from Star-Kist and Bumblebee have decreased in weight over the years. By contrast, Costco's cans are the same larger size as in "The Good Old Days".

Hmmmm... Better quality tuna, more of the desired product in each can, and a lower price per ounce.
What's not to like about the altogether superior deal from Costco?

I'm not big on fish, so I am crazy picky. I've tried buying all the normal brands and you open them up and it looks disgusting, and yes, they got smaller over the years. I'm sure TJ's is good, but we don't have them here.

Someone commented on soy, I looked at my Kirkland tuna and there is no soy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-27-2018, 04:22 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Is it my imagination, or is the quality getting worse and worse with the long-trusted supermarket name brands? Now that albacore has become a thing, the light is akin to cat food, and even the "solid/chunk white albacore" is mealy and slimy unless you buy the most expensive brands. Anyone else notice this, and what brands would you recommend (before I have to feed even more of it to my cats)?
You did not mention wether or NOT the "Canned Tuna" you refer to is Packed in OIL or Water. I have never experienced any tuna packed in water and I only buy "SOLID" regardless brand name.

Just maybe check out the difference.. compare"Oil" versus "Water" packed. Flaked tuna just does not fit intone of my recipes.. let alone using it insults/sandwiches.

Canned tuna in WATER for myself has always been my go to long term item that I go to when in a pinch.

Solid tuna ( in water) can be used in casseroles to actually taste like chicken IF broth/seasoning is used accordingly!!

Old 08-27-2018, 04:37 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
its canned tuna fish that doesn't need refrigeration...… you cant expect much

its still one of the best proteins you can eat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink